Computer Help forum

Loss of wireless connection, Laptop

by splittingeve / January 24, 2013 7:23 PM PST

System in question;
Aspire One D255E
Win7 starter, Intel 1.66, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E (NDIS 6.20)
Broadcom 802.11n

Hey all - connectivity issue here. My sis has the above laptop. For a year or better, she has been wirelessly connected to her local network, via a Linksys E2000 router without issue.

Rather suddenly a couple of weeks back, she found she had no connection. There were no changes to this network that I'm aware of (the users don't even know how to change settings online for said network). Several available networks show up on the list (hers and a couple of unsecured neighbors I believe). Despite full bars for her local network, clicking 'connect' has no visible effect. Nothing happens. Not like a 'failed to connect' or something similar, just...nothing.

I went through various steps such as;
1) power down, wait and reboot the modem, router, and her laptop, in that order
2) 'hard' reset router at power up to restore defaults
3) uninstalled network adapter(s) and reinstalled - with the company site's latest drivers - they installed, and 'ready to use' appeared
4) ran the various (fairly useless) Winodws network diagnostics which essentially told me I hadn't selected a network...which I had...repeatedly
5) Swapped out router completely with another, with the same results
6) Took laptop here, to a completely different network, again with the same results
7) assured that fn+F2 was not the issue, wireless is enabled

The local networks I'm attempting to connect to are unsecured - no password, etc

So, any idea what I should try next? My experience here is rather limited, and I've run out of ideas. Thanks much for any suggestions!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Loss of wireless connection, Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Loss of wireless connection, Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I have found that
by lacsr / January 24, 2013 8:44 PM PST

When the antivirus software has expired, it will give similar symptoms without any real warning. Check that first. Next, malware/spyware can mess with internet protocols, so do a thorough check with the antivirus software. If all that comes back good, then come back for the next installment.

Collapse -
by splittingeve / January 25, 2013 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: I have found that

She uses a free antivirus (AVG) without expiration. That said though, I'm running some scans now to see if it's dirty. Thx

Collapse -
No hook up
by pgc3 / January 24, 2013 11:53 PM PST

Does it work on a hardwire hook up? Have you tried doing a rollback to an earlier time? As a prior poster mentioned, possibly a malware issue. First things first, try hooking hardwire to router...then do a roll back..then pursue malware issue.

Collapse -
wired works
by splittingeve / January 25, 2013 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: No hook up

She did a sys restore just before I arrived, though the results were something along the lines of 'cant restore' she tells me. Not sure?
It does work when wired, just tried that out - no problems there. Running some malware scans currently, and will post findings. Thanks.

Collapse -
by pgc3 / January 26, 2013 10:41 PM PST
In reply to: wired works

If you are using Malwarebytes and doing a scan for issues, boot to Safe Mode With Networking otherwise you might be spinning your wheels.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.