Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Loss of Sound

by ptritch / November 6, 2003 5:30 AM PST

For the past couple of months, I've been losing system sound and the only way I've been able to restore it is to use System Restore to a point before I lost it.

This time I waited too long and can't get it back at all. I think this is an XP Home OS or software problem but have no idea where to start. I've reinstalled the es1371mp.sys file to no avail and am about to reinstall Windows XP in the hopes of finding my computer's voice again. I think this all stems from when I installed one of the many system updates but I can't pin down exactly which one.

Guidance or even ideas would be very much appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Loss of Sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Loss of Sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Loss of Sound
by David Chan / November 6, 2003 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: Loss of Sound
Collapse -
Re:Re:Loss of Sound
by ptritch / November 6, 2003 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Loss of Sound

Thank you for the suggestion. I ran sfc, resulting in a lot of drive access to the Windows XP Home CD, but the 'puter is still mute. Windows Media Player radio music, my digital clock chimes, even Quicken's "cha-ching!" sound, none are there. The unit in question is a Compaq model 7998, 1 GHz, 512mb. The sound card (according to System Information)is a "Creative Audio PCI ES1371,ES1373" using IRQ 11. I located a couple of substitute drivers and tried those. When they didn't work, I restored the original driver to the Windows/System32/drivers directory.

As I indicated before, System Restore would restore sound in the past, but this time I waited too long and I have no restore points available which would help. Since sfc didn't restore sound, do you have any other ideas which I might try?

Again, many thanks for your concern and your advice. At least the computer is working fine, taking the urgency out of the situation; I just wish it would talk to me!

Regards,

Phil

Collapse -
Re:Loss of Sound
by Basket628 / November 6, 2003 11:20 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Loss of Sound

Is Windows Xp an upgrade or did it come with Windows Xp do you remember what you did right before this problem happened did you Install a program then the problem Happened.

Collapse -
In the Mixer panel, AKA that little speaker or Control Panel...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2003 11:20 AM PST

Find the Mixer Panel, that little speaker in the taskbar or Control Panel, Sounds, Audio Tab, Volume. Make sure that Wave, MP3, MIDI and such sounds are all enabled (not muted) and the volume controls for each sound type near or at the top.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Loss of Sound
by David Chan / November 6, 2003 11:24 AM PST

If you have the Creative AudioHQ check in the Surround Mixer and if the Digital Output Only is checked, uncheck it and retest the sounds.

Or change the sound card to another PCI slot (if it is a PCI card) and reinstall the drivers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.