Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Losing Wireless Connection to Laptop Only

by deewood / April 12, 2004 6:10 AM PDT

I'm having the same problems, only I lose internet connectivity on the laptop for hrs at a time, while the
primary PC has no problems. This happens even while they're in the same room. I lose the wireless connection whether I'm on line or not, and wheteher the PC is on-line or not, and while the PC remains on. Restarting the laptop sometimes seems to start - but this isn't an acceptable resolution.

The OS are WIN 98SE on PC, WIN XP Home on Dell 600m Centrino Laptop w/512 MB Memory. PC is connected to Linksys wireless router (802.11 a/b/g) via ethernet, Laptop is wireless.

I have the XP firewall activated, update and run anti-virus, Ad-Aware, and Spybot, daily.

I live in a rural, So Calif area. Connect to the internet via DSL provided by SBC. My ISP is pe.net, an extremely reliable ISP, which is always available.

The Lynksys router and Laptop are less than 30 days old. PC is Gateway 500 - 4 yrs old. Working fine. I've also tried purchasing a new 5.4 megahertz telephone.

Hope this is enough info, to enable you to give me some idea of what may be causing me to repeatedly lose my wireless connection.

(In fact I lost connection while writing this - hope will return so I can send)

Thank you
deewood

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Losing Wireless Connection to Laptop Only
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Losing Wireless Connection to Laptop Only
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Losing Wireless Connection to Laptop Only
by MarkoGames / April 12, 2004 7:10 AM PDT

Dear Deewood,
I have Windows XP running on my laptop and I experienced what you are describing in terms of being kicked off every now and then. In my case, it was more often, I would say every 5 minutes or so. Anyhow, I soon determined that in Windows XP with wireless, there is a setting to use secure authentication. Unless you are using secure authentication within your wireless network, don't click on this option. With it enabled, Windows XP will try to authenticate securely, and if it cannot, it will reset the connection

Collapse -
Re:Re:Losing Wireless Connection to Laptop Only
by deewood / April 12, 2004 7:34 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestion. Makes sense. Can you direct me where to go to check/set this?
Thanks!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Losing Wireless Connection to Laptop Only
by Michael Geist / April 27, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

Two things to try:

1) If the laptop has an ethernet port, connect to the router this way. If the connection maintains itself then the problem narrows down to the onboard wireless adaptor or the router. Try another adaptor (PCMCIA or USB).
2) Look for a firmware update for the router.

Collapse -
Re:Losing Wireless Connection to Laptop Only
by robput / June 4, 2004 11:28 PM PDT

I was having the same issue with my notebook. I was losing connectivity to the internet at both home and office through my browsers and outlook consistantly after boot up for approximately 10 minutes. The only way to get more connectivity was to reboot my machine (ten more minutes). Emachines help desk was no help. Their fix all response was to format the harddrive and start over. What I did to fix it was:

Start
Control Panel
Network Connections
There, I disabled the wireless network connection and waited for the hourglass to go away. Then reenabled it and have had wireless connectivity since.

Windows XP
Broadcom 54g wireless lan
emachines m6809 2000Mhz

Collapse -
Re: Losing Wireless Connection to Laptop Only
by fugazi / June 28, 2004 10:45 AM PDT

I have had the same type of problem for a while. I found out that the problem, in my case, was related to the 'Wireless Zero Configuration' service. If I stop this service after I have logged on to my network, I stop losing my connection. The only problem with this solution is that I have to stop the service manually each time I start my laptop. If the service is set to 'manual' at startup, you will not find any wireless networks.

Hope this helps.

Regs.

Fugazi

Collapse -
Stop losing wireless connection
by workhomeunion / March 19, 2011 11:09 PM PDT

1. Reputable Internet Service Provider.
2. Use a dependable wireless router such as: Netgear, Linksys, Belkin, Motorola, or D-Link.
3. Good computer, purchased in the last 5 years (not earlier) with at least 2 gigabytes of RAM and a Processor (CPU) of 1.8GHz or higher.
4. Range Extender or Wi-Fi Smart Repeater to extend the range of your wireless signal and keep it from dropping.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.