Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Losing Hard disk space - fast!!!!!!

by emmormous / July 12, 2007 6:57 AM PDT

I have a 250Gig HD (okay 230 in real money). 20 is used on applications and saved items - Treesize application software confirms that.
But my space is shrinking at about a Gig a day. Currently it says I have 180Gigs free space when in reality I should have 210Gigs. I am virus free (according to AVG), the machine is only a couple of weeks old.
It is a Packard Bell iMedia 2579 - Core 2 Duo E6300 processor 1.86 Ghz with 1GB Ram and a HD of 250GB - running on Vista Home Premium.

Can anybody tell me what is happening?

Like I said, application software (and Vista itself) tells me I have used approximately 20GB of my Hard Drive, so what has happened to the other 30GB that is clearly shown as used, but there is no indication on how, or where?

It has got me flumuxed.

Cheers and thanks very much if you have any ideas. I just don't know where to start.

Emmo.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Losing Hard disk space - fast!!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Losing Hard disk space - fast!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System restore
by mopscare42 / July 12, 2007 7:19 AM PDT

You can't adjust the amount for system restore in Vista like you could in XP so it eats up a lot of hard drive space.
I have seen a couple ways to adust it for a set amount, but I just delete all but the most recent restore points in disk cleanup and that works. I get back from 8 to 10 gig every week after I run cleanup.
Hope that helps
Wayne

Collapse -
It worked
by emmormous / July 12, 2007 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: System restore

Thanks Wayne.

Sorted - I owe you a beer.

Emmo

Collapse -
No problem
by mopscare42 / July 12, 2007 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: It worked

I am glad that helped.
Wayne

Collapse -
Loosing disk Space Rapidly
by Breoghan63 / November 19, 2009 1:07 PM PST
In reply to: No problem

I have a DELL 1525 running Vista Home Premium with a 160 Gb Hd with 10 Gb partitioned off for a back up. I am loosing about a Gig a day for no reason. I have used Disk Clean, but I am not recovering anything anymore, and I am still loosing the space. I have checked each folder individually and calculated the space used by them, and it does not add up. I have Norton's AV, and it says I am clean, I am currently running a MS Malicious Software Removal Tool, it is currently scanning, but it looks like it will not finish for a few days. I have backed up lots of files, and cleared them off my computer, but when I empty my recycle bin, sometimes I recover space, but never as much as it purged from the recycle bin, and sometimes I loose space when I purge the recycle bin. I need someone to explain this, It seems that there are many with this problem using XP and Vista, and the solutions given are not working. As I said, Disk clean is doing NO GOOD for recovering my lost space, deleting files is not working either.

Collapse -
You didn't tell us about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2009 9:48 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.