Computer Newbies forum

Losing Disc Space Fast For No Reason?

by Snog14 / August 23, 2011 11:30 AM PDT

I have a compaq desktop that runs on Windows XP & lately the disc space on my (c:) drive has been deteriorating rapidly I download quite a lot & delete older files when I need more space almost daily. What Should I do to stop this ( please detail EVERY step I'm not good with comps when it comes to the system based aspects). Also can I still run my comp with no disc space? Will my comp crash? Is it possible that I could lose all my files? Please Help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Losing Disc Space Fast For No Reason?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Losing Disc Space Fast For No Reason?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
About losing your files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2011 11:34 AM PDT

We would only lose what we don't backup.

As to your space loss I'd ignore it and use Disk Cleanup once in awhile.

Collapse -
More Info?
by Snog14 / August 23, 2011 11:42 AM PDT

I already used disc clean up & disk defragmenter & its still loosing space.

Collapse -
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2011 11:44 AM PDT
In reply to: More Info?

Windows updates are getting quite big along with antivirus databases so every day it takes more space.

Nothing new about this. XP has been around a decade and I see you posted in a new forum. For now I'd keep your current system and be sure to backup what you can't lose.

Collapse -
Just to clarify. There are many reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2011 11:57 AM PDT

Windows Update.
Antivirus Update.
Application Update.
Temporary Internet File Cache.

These Windows OS's do not stay put on size. Never have.

Collapse -
Maybe You're Not Losing Disc Space Fast For No Reason
by McMargaret / August 23, 2011 3:28 PM PDT

Cause if you already deleted some files and still losing have free space.. then maybe a virus could be eating it. I've had that before, virus-eating-hard drive-space.. they suck!

and also, if you have deleted some of your files, make sure you empty your recycle bin.. cause it still eats space on your disk when not emptied.

Collapse -
I don't think its a virus.
by Snog14 / August 24, 2011 6:13 AM PDT

I have Avast anti-virus & I ran a virus scan for the whole system & it was clean. Yes I know I have to empty the recycle bin & I do. Also now its not only decreasing for not reason but its also increasing randomly its usualy between 513 & 44 mb.

Collapse -
That's actually normal today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2011 7:16 AM PDT

Just look at the internet cache area. That's a lot.

Tip: Stop fretting about it and use the cleanup tools once in awhile. Some folk like CCLEANER.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.