Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Losing Broadband Connection On Only One PC Using Router

by donehomr / January 8, 2005 2:15 PM PST

I have two PC's, an IBM T23 laptop running Windows 2000, which I use primarily for my job (company issued), and an AMD x86 based PC running Windows XP-Pro SP-2. Both PC's are connected to my Roadrunner account through a D-Link DI-604 Router F/W 2:18 in which all software is up to date.

The issue: My laptop never loses it's connection, but the AMD loses it's connection regularly. When the AMD loses connection, I can jump over to the laptop and access the internet with no problem - which rules out a server, router (I think), or cable modem issue. The AMD has the full up to date McAfee suite, including VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, Privacy Service, and Spamkiller. I also am currently using Windows Firewall, but I have the same issue whether it's on or off, and the same issue whether Pop-up Blocker is on or off.

The condition: I like to have the monitor of the AMD automatically shut down after 10 minutes of inactivity (makes sleeping at night a little easier), but the computer stays connected to the internet, sometimes for days at a time. When I decide to use the AMD, I move the mouse to make the monitor come back on, open Internet Explorer 6.0 (also up to date), and begin surfing my favorite sites. After about 20 - 30 minutes, all of a sudden IE locks up, and the internet connection is completely lost, although the connection icon in the system tray looks like I still have a good connection. I have Roadrunner Medic (downloaded hoping for a solution to the problem), which automatically goes trough the process of trying to reset the connection. After a few minutes of it trying, the connection icon in the system tray says I have limited or no connectivity. Although keep in mind that the laptop still works beautifully during this time.

My only solution: I have to restart the AMD to regain my connection.

I have been to several forums and read several articles which address issues that are "close" to my condition, and have tried resetting a few configuration settings (in which I am pretty sure my problem lies), but to no avail. I don't know if it's a McAfee or a XP/SP-2 setting that is doing this, or if it's something of which I have no idea exists. I graduted from college as a computer repair major, but that was back when the 386 and Windows 3.x were the big boys on the block. My current job is not in the field, so I have lost touch with some of the latest troubleshooting techniques. That is why I have, as a last resort posted this message.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated, as I am about ready to throw this PC out the window, hoping of course that it doesn't hit anybody standing below!

In good taste, I am respectfully requesting that no one posts any of the "that's what you get for using AMD", "try Linux", or "Windows sucks" - type replies. I am sure there is a legitimate fix for this problem, and those are the replies I am hoping for. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Losing Broadband Connection On Only One PC Using Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Losing Broadband Connection On Only One PC Using Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Additional Information
by donehomr / January 8, 2005 8:09 PM PST

Tonight I installed the most recent driver for my ethernet card and reset all of my Internet Options configuration settings to their default values on the AMD PC. I have noticed that when I click on a video link on some websites that apparently some kind of conflict is happening between Windows Media Player 10 and IE6 that causes IE to lock up and shuts off my connection, although it still looks like it is connected.

I just tried shutting down McAfee and surfing to a site I feel is safe that I was having trouble with earlier this evening, and the videos played fine. - McAfee problem???

Another problem that might be related is that most of the time when I log onto the PC I do not see all of the startup icons that should be showing up in my system tray. Task Manager, however shows all of the processes are present.

Collapse -
Similar problem, may help.
by djmalaka / January 9, 2005 2:08 PM PST

Ok I have a similar problem so I will just post here, plus maybe my problem has info pertaining to yours.

Im using a router with 1 pc on Win xp SP2 and never had problems while my settings were to obtain IP automaticly. But I was having problems forwarding ports so I created a static IP.

Ater going to http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm , I followed the instructions for creating a static IP address. The weird thing though; to determine my current IP i typed ipconfig /all in command, but it sayed a different IP than what my routers page was telling me.(im not confusing this with my default gateway,I know the dif Happy
When I went to my routers page it told me 83.234.256.xxx and ipconfig told me 10.0.x.x
When I tryed to set up a static IP with the 1 my router gave me nothing, then I used the 10.0.x.x one I had connection.
So now that I had a static connection I went to my routers page to forward the ports to this static IP. (6881-6889 TCP)
I started a download with BT and did a NAT chech and port check, and everything worked WOW I was so happy DL speed went up to 50kb/s.(I have DSL 512k)

But now when I download for a while my connection will just drop, and I wont have connectivity until i restart my router. Any experts to help me please?

Collapse -
Re: Losing Broadband Connection On Only One PC Using Router
by JJ / January 10, 2005 11:35 AM PST

It is not an AMD problem but may or may not be a Windows problem but I am not going to tell you to switch to LINUX. I am a Windows XP Home user myself. LINUX won't run on one of my machines and I am not going to try on the other one at this time. Back to your problem. Have you tried to disconnect your Laptop and connect your PC the same way you connected the Laptop to see if the problem continues? It may be a router problem or a communication problem between your router and Windows. An other possibility is Spyware has installed a dialer on your PC. Try Spybot for Spyware.

Collapse -
Re:
by JJ / January 10, 2005 11:39 AM PST

Try your PC without the router to confirm it is a router problem.

Collapse -
Tried that, problem persisted, seems to be working ok now
by donehomr / January 12, 2005 8:08 PM PST
In reply to: Re:

I deleted/reloaded Windows Media Player 10, then went through the config settings for IE6 once again, this time returning virtually all of them to their defaults. Believe it or not, the AMD has been connected now for about an hour shy of 4 days, and I've been surfing all night without a disconnect.

Weird huh?

I'll refer back to this in a couple of days and let you all know how it's going, but so far so good! (Fingers crossed...)

Collapse -
Strike that...
by donehomr / January 12, 2005 8:30 PM PST

Wouldn't you know...

After as I surfed away from this forum I went to UselessJunk.com and attempted to view a video. Connection was lost, and once again I had to restart to get back online.

This is getting really old -- look out below!!!

Question: Why would a connection work just fine until sometimes when I view video? (I say sometimes because there are times when videos work with no trouble at all).

Collapse -
Re: Strike that...
by JJ / January 13, 2005 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Strike that...
Collapse -
You using comcast?
by strickjh2005 / January 18, 2005 3:11 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Strike that...

If you are comcast doesnt like it when you try to connect two comps at once.

You need a router that can make... what is it?... uhh... someone help?.. something about IPs and stuff.

Collapse -
THE FIX!
by donehomr / January 18, 2005 8:18 PM PST
In reply to: You using comcast?

No, I'm on Time Warner Roadrunner.

Ok - here seems to be the fix, so all of you out there that are having a similar problem listen up...

First off, I ran Spybot (thanks to JJ for the suggestion!) and found 77 spyware items on the PC. I got rid of those and innoculated. Next, through pure coincidence, I noticed at the Microsoft Support site a reference to Windows Media Player 9 for XP. I used to have this on my PC, but had upgraded to WMP 10 - that was where the trouble seems to have began (and yes, I tried all of the "fixes"). I rolled-back my WMP version to 9 for XP, and wa-lah!

I've been online now for several days, played a bunch of internet video, radio stations, and MP3's without a single glitch.

IN CONCLUSION: 1) Get Spybot - it really does work and runs seemlessly in the background. 2) Windows Media Player 10 apparently wasn't tested thoroughly enough for WinXP-Professional, so don't waste your time. 3) Don't depend on McAfee to block Spyware.

Thanks to everyone who replied and for all of your suggestions, it has been very much appreciated!

Collapse -
Same here
by djmalaka / January 20, 2005 10:16 PM PST
In reply to: THE FIX!

Even though I have not experienced a lost connection when using Windows Media Player I decided to give it a shot. I rolled back WMP 10 to 9 and ran spybot and bingo, no more lost connections. Been downloading for 3 days without shutting down PC and no lost connections. Thanks guys.

Collapse -
This worked for me
by guygr / June 19, 2005 8:38 PM PDT

I just came across this forum while looking for a fix to my problem.

The problem: IE would appear to lose its internet connection - as in couldn't download/open web pages, but Outlook would still be able to connect to my ISP's mail server. This is all through a wireless router (though I'm using it wired) and a good broadband connection.

Generally this would happen after some time of inactivity (e.g. 1 hr or so). The only solution seemed to be to restart the PC. As I'm running XP, this is not supposed to happen, and the old "winipcfg" approach doesn't do anything.

The solution: delete the direct connection icon from my "Internet connections" (i.e. the one you'd use to connect direct through a modem, rather than through the router).

That might sound unintuitive, and I've no idea why it should work, but the problems seemed to start (though I'd had it on a previous PC) after I'd set up connections for a direct broadband connection (through the modem). I haven't had the problem since deleting the broadband connection icon.

Collapse -
Hoorah.....hopefully
by Buazag / July 12, 2005 9:21 PM PDT

I have driven myself nearly insane trying to fix pretty much this very same problem myself. I bought a new rig a few months back and after setting it up I brought my old machine over to my fiance's house. Both of us are using Roadrunner and at that point in time I wasn't having any issues whatsoever with connectivity. Slowly over a period of a few weeks, I began to realize that what I thought were occasional glitches in the Time Warner network that were causing me to need to reboot, were actually signs that something was wrong on my end. It was happening on both computers......which were in different houses, and always seemed to happen after a period of inactivity. I never lost my connection when I was actually online.....but after being away for a while I would always have to reboot to get back online. I also never had the low or no connectivity icon in the systray......according to windows my connection was fine and repair did nothing.

So I'm about to go uninstall wmp10 and roll back with my fingers crossed. This really isn't an end of the world type problem.....but it sure is annoying ;o

Collapse -
firewall
by lungfish2023 / June 27, 2006 11:05 PM PDT

Have you tried firewall settings on McAfee ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.