Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

lose internet connection, have to reboot to get it back

by td92 / September 10, 2004 11:48 AM PDT

i've had this problem for a couple of years now and i'm pretty fed up with it. i dont know how to narrow it down except for reformatting, which i've done 3 times since it started.

the problem is i can either be surfing the net, or playing an online game, and i will lose my connection to the net. the only fix is for me to reboot my computer. i am on cable internet.

the most recent time i have reformatted, i only put the basics on my computer. i downloaded an Nvidia driver for my vid card, and the latest Direct X version. i also downloaded XP's recent hotfixes. i believe that the problem is with the hotfixes. it ran fine til i got those.

i've downloaded XP service pack 2 in recent months and it did not fix this problem at all. should i reformat again and not download fixes and updates for XP anymore?

is there anymore info that i should provide?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lose internet connection, have to reboot to get it back
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lose internet connection, have to reboot to get it back
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: lose internet connection, have to reboot to get it back
by Mark5019 / September 10, 2004 11:55 AM PDT

have you contacted cable co? have they checked out lines replaced modems?
are you virus free spyware free?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2004 12:11 PM PDT

A few ideas.

1. Case cover off. Heat can cause parts to do that.

2. Motherbaord and network drivers are not supplied by Microsoft. Your post didn't tell about those.

Bob

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / September 11, 2004 12:18 AM PDT
the problem is i can either be surfing the net, or playing an online game, and i will lose my connection to the net. the only fix is for me to reboot my computer. i am on cable internet.

Specifics would be required of what you've investigated and what may be found to indicate the problem! Once something has been zeroed on, possible resolution might be forthcoming.

1. The article [Q305549] explains step-by-step of how to configure a connection to the Internet using the Network Connections tool in Control Panel.

2. The article [Q320558] discusses and warnes that if you use the New Connection Wizard to create a new dial-up modem or PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) connection, you may experience any one or more of the following issues and therefore cannot create a dial-up modem connection or PPPoE connection to the Internet unless the fault is corrected in the system registry:

a. The Connect using a dial-up modem option in the New Connection Wizard is unavailable (appears dimmed).

b. The Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password option in the New Connection Wizard is unavailable.

3. Please read through the article [Q314095] which describes ways to diagnose and resolve issues that can cause problems when you try to use an Internet browser, File Transfer Protocol (FTP), or Telnet to communicate with servers on the Internet. Also be aware of the discussion in the article, "Windows XP Internet Programs Cannot Connect to the Internet Through Broadband Connection (Q307164)," as necessary.

4. The article [Q813444] contains information and procedures used to troubleshoot situations where you cannot connect to SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web sites (https: followed by TWO forward-slashes).

Note: The following are areas discussed that in my opinion should be looked at closely:

a. Create a new User Profile - [User Accounts].

b. Register files - download and use "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP).

c. Verify that the Microsoft Cryptographic Services service is started - [Q822798].

5. If IE appears to stop responding (hangs) when opened but the animated globe in the upper-right corner of the browser window continues to spin, look to see if there is a message in the status bar such as Detecting proxy settings... [Q220902] and report that information for further assistance.

6. The article [Q314067] explains that there are utilities that can provide useful information when you are trying to determine the cause of TCP/IP networking problems and lists recommendations for use. Although the list is not complete, it does provide examples that show how you can use them to track down problems on the network setup.

7. When using a multiple-homed WinXP-based computer with the Personal Firewall feature enabled, remote users may not be able to connect to the computer in response to a Remote Assistance request. If a network adapter and a modem with the Personal Firewall feature is enabled, Remote Assistance may not open the firewall port on the modem connection which can occur because Remote Assistance opens the firewall port only on the first bound network adapter of the multiple-homed computer, [Q308210].

8. The article [Q329441] explains that if you install Service Pack 1 (SP1) and then use the System Restore feature to restore Windows to a state before the installation of the service pack, you may experience the following symptoms:

a. You cannot create a remote access or Dial-Up Networking connection. All items on the "Network Connection" page of the New Connection Wizard are unavailable (dimmed).

b. The Network Connections folder is empty.

c. The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) services do not start because of a dependency failure.

Note: In addition, this article describes and covers several type events which are recorded and displayed in the System log of the Event Viewer.

9. These two articles describes how to manage stored user names and passwords on a computer:

"HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer That Is Not in a Domain in Windows XP (Q306541)"

=and=

"HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer in a Domain in Windows XP (Q306992)."

a. You can use the Save Password option so that your Dial-Up Networking (DUN) password is cached and you will not need to enter it on successive dial attempts. The Remote Access Service (RAS) password for DUN is recorded in the system registry with parameters as follows:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\Parameters

[Dword]: Value Name and Value Data

DisableSavePassword=

0 [zero (disabled and password saved)]

1 [one (enabled and password is not saved requiring it to be entered on each session)]

b. The article [Q315231] describes how to configure Windows to automate the logon process by storing your password and other pertinent information in the registry database.

(1) This feature allows other users to start your computer and use the account that you establish to automatically log on and can pose a security risk.

(2) If you set a computer for automatic logon, anyone who can physically gain access to the computer can also gain access to everything that is on the computer, including any network or networks that the computer is connected to. In addition, if you enable automatic logon, the password is stored in the following registry key in plain text. The specific registry key that stores this value is remotely readable by the Authenticated Users group. As a result, using this setting is appropriate only if the computer is physically secured and if you ensure that untrusted users cannot remotely see the registry.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

c. The article [Q322962] warns that when you try to log on to WinXPPro, you may receive the following message that occurs when your password is set to expire after a predefined number of days and explains how to prevent the password on a local user account from expiring:

Your password will expire in number of days. Do you want to change it now?

Note: In addition, the article [Q321305] describes the procedure should you have forgotten your password, or if your password expired and you cannot create a new one. In essence, if you have not created a password reset disk and you have also forgotten the password for all user accounts, you cannot log on to your existing Windows installation for security reasons. This information applies to starting Windows XP typically, to Safe mode, and to Recovery Console. In this case, you must perform a clean installation of Windows, re-create all user accounts, and reinstall all of your programs.

d. In addition, the XP interface provides an opportunity to set a permanent Internet connection when Fast User Switching is enabled. This wizard provides a prompt for choosing between the default, Anyone?s use which means the connection will stay open when switching to another user, or My use only which will drop the connection when a user switches. It may be useful to keep a Dial-Up Internet connection open simply because if it is not, a guest account will not be able to access the Internet using Dial-Up.

(1) Click Start, Run, and type regedit.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Note: Click the Plus box in front of HKLM to expand it and continue clicking/expanding appropriate folders (each word preceded by a backslash in the above address) until reaching the last, "Winlogon". Click it, to bold/highlight.

(2) Right-click in the right pane, select New, String Value, and name this key KeepRasConnections.

(3) Double-click this key and set the value to 1 (one).

(4) Click Registry in the main menu and select Exit to save the session. Or simply click the x in the URHC of the window to close the Registry Editor tool. Respond with an affirmative to save the editing and to close the editor.

10. Supplemental reading:

a. "HOW TO: Determine Which Program Uses or Blocks Specific Transmission Control Protocol Ports (Q281336)."

b. "HOW TO: Save and Restore Dial-up Connections (Q284269)."

c. "Behavior of RAS Connections With the Fast User Switching Feature (Q289669)."

d. "HOW TO: Configure Windows XP TCP/IP to Use DNS (Q305553)."

e. "HOW TO: Configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP (Q306126).

f. "Troubleshooting America Online in Windows XP (Q306478)."

g. "HOW TO: Provide Remote Assistance In Response to Windows Messenger Invitation in Windows XP (Q306800)."

h. "Troubleshooting Cable Modems (Q310089)."

i. "HOW TO: Configure and Use Dial-Up Connections in Windows XP (Q310410)."

j. "Error 691 or Error 734 When You Attempt to Establish a Dial-Up Connection in Windows XP (Q310431)."

k. "Error Message: Invalid DHCP Lease (Q310524)", which also contains several links covering additional information about cable modem and IP configuration troubleshooting.

l. "Possible Issues and Resolutions for Slow Connection Speeds in Windows XP (Q310590)."

m. "HOW TO: Configure a Connection to a Virtual Private Network (VPN) in Windows XP (Q314076)."

n. "Error 691 - Error Message When You Try to Connect to Your ISP (Q314455)."

o. "Computer Restarts Unexpectedly When You Browse the Internet (Q316416)."

p. "Error 721, Error 678, Error 691, or Error 777 Error Message When You Try to Establish a Dial-Up Connection After You Upgrade to Windows XP (Q318009)."

q. "Networking An MSN DSL Internet Connection To Multiple Computers (Q319859)."

r. "Modem Issues, Auto-Connect/Disconnect & Dialup for Windows XP."
Collapse -
by Brandon Eng / September 11, 2004 6:22 AM PDT

I have cable also, and when my laptop would boot me off after say about 10 mins, I discovered by going into the device manager, adapters, and in the properties under power management, I disabled "allow the computer to turn off this device..." solved the problem. I figured if I was reading a long article or something, the computer was thought I was being idle, so turned off the network adapter to save power. Since then, I disable that function on all my networked computers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.