Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Looks like we'll have to dig deeper North of the border

by JP Bill / March 31, 2013 9:02 PM PDT
Interment bill? Canadians must dig deeper

The sitting may have started when you were sleeping, and may be continuing as you read this. Last night, an informed source in Ottawa confirmed plans, unknown until now, for the House of Commons to convene in secret session as early as 3 a.m. today.

Secrecy in parliamentary debate is a drastic resort, used only when issues of the utmost delicacy are under consideration. There would seem to be high gravity involved in discussion of what the government labels its Interment Bill. In fact, it may be another Conservative attempt to shroud their agenda.

Beginning immediately, all cemeteries in Canada are to be required to bury all bodies at a depth of eight feet rather than six. All digging is to be by hand. Supporting amendments to the Canadian Cremation Act will increase the required heat in crematoriums and regulate the scattering of ashes in national parks.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looks like we'll have to dig deeper North of the border
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looks like we'll have to dig deeper North of the border
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
that's sort of creepy isn't it?
by James Denison / March 31, 2013 10:44 PM PDT

Have wild animals been digging up bodies from 6 feet down? Families worried about heavy equipment disturbing or damaging the graves of their relatives when a new grave is opened?

Collapse -
Problem in US is running out of space
by Roger NC / March 31, 2013 11:51 PM PDT

at least some cementeries.

Been several stories over the last few years where cemeteries have been caught digging up old graves that didn't have visitors and dumping the bodies, sometimes in a mass pit grave, so they could resell the plots. There have also been stories of burying one body on top of another to resell the plot.

Other local small cementeries have been in the local news lately because no one takes care of them. When you think about it, once a cementery sells all, even just most, of it's plots, it doesn't really have income anymore. It ends up getting abandoned, especially as the original owners die off and heirs want nothing to do with it.

Spacewise, I have said (only half joking) that we should bury coffins standing. Auger a deep hole, after the service, raise the coffin and lower it in. You could get 3 plots at least, probably 4, in what is currently one.

I have no idea what the policy of US national parks are about scattering ashes. I know some who have scattered just a token amount in a park and it was just done, not pre-approved, but that involved only a few people not a larger crowd or ceremony. In fact, I don't know if I've ever heard about policies regarding scattering ashes even though I'm sure there are many places that do.

A lot of cementeries now have a mausoleum or even what appears to be a free standing wall with niches, drawers, or cabinet like spaces for ash urns. A lot better use of space perhaps.

Collapse -
The wall is called a columbarium (sp?)
by drpruner / April 1, 2013 12:57 AM PDT

My Mom is in one.

Collapse -
(NT) hadn't heard that term before, but checking it seems right
by Roger NC / April 1, 2013 2:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
Here's the part that got me to check the date:
by drpruner / April 1, 2013 12:56 AM PDT

"All digging is to be by hand"

Collapse -
RE: the date
by JP Bill / April 1, 2013 12:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
I noticed that
by Roger NC / April 1, 2013 2:44 AM PDT

wondered it was some traditional aspect, thought to be part of respect?

Cynically also wondered if it was a political pay off for a contribution/investment to someone's election.

Collapse -
That wouldn't be April Fool.
by drpruner / April 2, 2013 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I noticed that

That would be real life.

Collapse -
Seriously, at least let them use shovels!
by Josh K / April 2, 2013 5:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
I agree
by Steven Haninger / April 2, 2013 5:34 AM PDT

I need to think that the grave digger's union has rules requiring a safety observer to monitor the digging activity. A shovel does constitute a small danger of injury by the tool. About all a hand digger would need to worry about is breaking a nail. Who needs a safety observer in that case? Wink

Collapse -
On the other hand...
by Josh K / April 2, 2013 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree

....if they're being paid hourly.......

Collapse -
Ah...you're right
by Steven Haninger / April 2, 2013 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: On the other hand...

what a mess if the body needs to be buried before sundown.

Collapse -
I agee.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree

The risk of the walls caving in at 8 feet = certain death. 4 feet has killed in the U.K.

Dafydd. ( Gravedigger for 25 years ).

Collapse -
I wonder if, while digging someone's else grave and
by Steven Haninger / April 2, 2013 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: I agee.

you end up making it your own, you have to pay for it. Confused

Collapse -
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 6:12 AM PDT

It happened in a cemetery I worked at. The bloke digging the grave was alone and had a heart attack. He wasn't charged for it.

Collapse -
Well...they'd have needed to dig him out to
by Steven Haninger / April 2, 2013 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Happened.

determine the cause of death. Are you saying they re-planted him for free? Happy

Collapse -
His Burial.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 6:39 AM PDT

He and his wife lived in the cemetery lodge. He was late home for his tea so his wife went looking for him. She found him in the grave dead. He was reopening the grave at the time.
He didn't need digging out as the grave hadn't collapsed on him

He was buried in a new grave in another part of the cemetery.

Collapse -
I think 5 ft is the point requiring wall shoring in US
by Roger NC / April 2, 2013 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I agee.

but there is also provisions relating depth to width of the excavation etc.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.