Tablets forum

General discussion

Looking to start refurbishing tablets

by joe42968 / February 12, 2013 8:08 AM PST

Hi
I this is my first time here.I was looking into what it make take and how profitable refurbishing tablets can be.
I was wondering peoples opinions on which may be the most profitable in getting parts and the actual refurbishing of the tablet.
I was looking at the Asus Nexus 7.The disassembly videos I have seen on youtube its seems pretty straight forward on refurbishing.But wondering what are other good ones that would/might sell pretty good.
I plan on doing this as a supplement at least for now and sell at swap meets.I went with a buddy of mine to a swap meet for his first time who refurbishes Coby Kyros tablets and sold pretty good.And I read those are really low end.
It seems Nexus 7 are rated really good but wondering if I want to do those for a swap meet setting or start with something more mid scale as tablets go.

Thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking to start refurbishing tablets
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking to start refurbishing tablets
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I saw those Coby on sale for 49 bucks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 8:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Dopo?
by joe42968 / February 12, 2013 8:40 AM PST

Sorry never heard of it.

Collapse -
Same with Coby.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: Dopo?

Never saw them till recently.

Collapse -
Buy 1/4 Price
by mad_reaper / February 15, 2013 12:52 PM PST

As a guess, I would suggest that you buy 2 broken but complete phones on eBay for 1/4 of the retail price or less each. Then, repair one and use the other for parts. Then, sell the newly repaired one for 3/4 of the retail price and pocket 1/4 for profit.

I'd also suggest specializing at first; be an expert in repairing one kind of thing first before expanding out. Since you are looking to sell at swap meets, I suggest cheaper products; swap meet people are more price conscious and less quality conscious. Don't be afraid to price them near or at retail, though; you'll be surprised at how many people will pay retail prices to you even though they could go to a store and buy it there for the same price. You might even see if you can buy wholesale and in bulk and sell them for a profit at swap meets without needing to bother with refurbishing.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Do your sums...
by Zouch / February 15, 2013 8:38 PM PST

I think Bob is spot on again, the economics just don't add up. Check the prices on somewhere like AliExpress (it takes a bit of digging to establish the brand names but most are well known) - you couldn't buy the parts for the price, even if you could find them. Similarly with EBay.

If you decide it's still feasible, ask yourself what you are going to do about warranty? I wouldn't buy a tablet, even secondhand, without some kind of warranty.

The Nexus is also unusual in that it is relatively easy to get into and the parts aren't inextricably welded to the case but it is the exception - these things are not intended to be repairable by anyone but the manufacturer.

So I don't see it but if you have a go nonetheless, good luck - I think you'll need it.

Collapse -
Thanks you all
by joe42968 / February 15, 2013 9:40 PM PST

Thank you all that answered my post.
Zouch when I made my starting post I hadn't really looked into any tablets EXCEPT the Nexus7 and saw the ease of how the insides were put together thats why I did find that one attractive as my friend doing the Coby Kyros mentioned he had to hone on his welding.
After looking into it more and a couple different models and prices etc I think I will try to do one even if its for myself to see if i can do it. I was thinking maybe it could be something to do just to make some extra bucks,but seeing like it isn't going to be that feasable,then again after reading mad_reaper post he seems to have something.If you build it people WILL buy.Just have to find the right audience.And I was surprisingly seeing how much people were chomping at the bit on the Coby Kyros and the people that did buy didnt even worry about warrantys no one even asked.
So I will do some more checking into it and see which way I want to go.
Again,Thank you to all of you.

Collapse -
tablets from where?
by porsche10x / February 16, 2013 5:53 AM PST

I'm curious about two things:

First, where exactly are you going to find a steady supply of large numbers of tablets in need of refurbishing for free or near free?

Next, do you have the tools and expertise to repair them? I would imagine all but the simplest of repairs would need some serious investment in surface mount assembly and repair/rework tools. I suppose you could just focus on replacing cracked displays or something. Although, you might find that replacing entire boards and displays is just too expensive to make your enterprise profitable.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.