PC Applications forum

Looking to find a Shockwave replacement

by AminalEd / June 3, 2013 4:36 AM PDT

It seems that I need shockwave to make my browsers work correctly ( items vids etc ) but I want a replacement for Adobe's ( formally Macromedias). Can anyone recommend a replacement for adobe's Shockwave? Thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking to find a Shockwave replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking to find a Shockwave replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 4:48 AM PDT

There are very, very few sites that use Shockwave. There are (much) more sites that use Flash, although that's becoming less popular nowaday, due to security, performance and video issues. That performance is why you won't find it on iDevices from Apple (uses too much power).

And alas, the only players I know of are from Adobe, although Chrome has one integrated, so supported by Google.

Things you didn't tell:
- what browser you use
- why you need a Shockwave replacement and not Shockwanve
- an example of a site that needs it, so we can see if it works with those of us that have Shockwave installed

Collapse -
Should not be possible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 4:48 AM PDT

That's a proprietary closed source system. So I'm going with no.

But there is a setting they changed last year that when I see issues I turn back off. Have you heard about such?

Collapse -
I don't know this one??
by AminalEd / June 5, 2013 5:56 AM PDT

you wouldn't happen to know what setting that was, would you ??

Collapse -
I use a search as it may change.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2013 5:59 AM PDT

On google.com or such try.

How do I disable Flash Hardware Acceleration?

Pick the method you like.

Collapse -
No longer responding is why I want it replaced :(
by AminalEd / June 3, 2013 4:46 PM PDT

I'm using Mozilla Firefox 21.0 under Windows 7 Ultimate. I need the replacement because Shockwave has been crashing on my machine of late and slowing everything down. ( I use Kaspersky Pure 3.0 and 2 different anti-spyware programs so I know my computer is clean. Adobe flash is just as bad. It is always going down and I've no intention of Paying them for an upgrade to a faulty piece of software lol ) it isn't any site per se that it gous down on it just has been crashing. It slows everything down then 5 or 6 minutes late the crash box comes up saying tha shockwave is no longer responding and do I want to reboot retry or close shockwave ( not the exact words but you get the drift)

Collapse -
Re: shockwave
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 5:05 PM PDT

So if you don't need it, why not uninstall it? Or use Chrome in stead of Firefox.

Collapse -
I don't see where you tried the setting I noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2013 3:43 AM PDT

Also, you can uninstall these and try Chrome too. I've yet to find this to be solely a fault in Flash but rather over in the video driver or hardware. But for most folk they don't want to discuss the fine details. They want it to work on what they have.

So, try the usual setting I noted as well as what Kees has suggested.

Collapse -
Using Chrome
by AminalEd / June 5, 2013 5:55 AM PDT

I have Chrome and don't have the problems with it. I just don't really care for it. Guess I've grown accustomed to My Firefox but if it keeps up messing up I won't have a choice. My first browser ( many many moons ago) was Netscape, back when the internet just got off the pay to use. a few years ( maybe) later I went to IE then I went to Mozilla( lots more years) looks like I may soon be using Chrome full time but like I said I'm not a big Chrome fan.

Collapse -
Then one more try?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2013 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Using Chrome

There is that hardware acceleration issue with Flash and when they flipped on rather than off by default the number of posts like this one shot up. I can't see where you tried it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.