Cameras forum

looking to buy a new camera

by truckmechanic / January 7, 2013 1:58 PM PST

i got a sony cyber-shot wx9. it has done well in the past but i find myself wanting something with more zoom and something else... can't really say what it is as i find myself reading all this iso dslr megapix....all i really did was get me more this is what i'll use the camera on and then hopefully you can point me in the right direction... animals - in some pictures i tried to take it focused on the fence rather than the animal some are far of the settings was lower light ...concert...landscape......i think i read on the concert that no dslr was to be used..i don't know that that is.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: looking to buy a new camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: looking to buy a new camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
New Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 12:03 AM PST

Concerts - Most concerts do not want professional photographers taking pictures at their concerts.
So they do not permit any camera that looks like something a professional might use (DSLR or look alike cameras).

Point and shoot cameras do not do well in low light so results will be disappointing.
Video mode will appear better because the smearing is less objectionable in video.
But digital camera Audio is usually poor if you are trying to capture music. Loud sounds will cause distortion, and likely all you will hear is the drum. So for music, I suggest you use a camcorder with good audio ability.

To keep the camera from taking a picture of a fence instead of the animal will call for some action from the photographer. The camera will usually try to focus on the nearest object. If your camera permits, use manual focus. The quick solution is to point the camera in a different direction and focus on something that is the same distance away as the animal. Press the shutter button half-way down and keep it there, that sets the focus. Now swing the camera around to the animal behind the fence and press the shutter button the rest of the way down to take the picture. You then get a sharp focus on the animal and not the fence.

Collapse -
re: "more zoom" and "lower light ...concert"
by MarkatNite / January 8, 2013 7:32 AM PST

The best compromise is probably a Panasonic FZ200: it's got a 24X zoom and a relatively fast/bright constant f2.8 lens. However, note that it's on a large side for a point-and-shoot, so it may be classified as a "professional" camera by concert security (even though it's not a DSLR). It also costs around $600.

For something smaller that probably will be allowed in by concert security, you will have to go with less zoom--probably much less, like not even use the zoom at all, which means you'll need to be in the first few rows to get good pics--like a Sony RX100 (which costs around $700) or a Canon S110 (which costs around $400).

HTH - Mark

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.