Windows 8 forum

Question

Looking from some media options

by cmstache / July 6, 2013 4:03 AM PDT

I seem to have a problem. Hopefully, some of you can help me out. I just a couple days ago got a new PC I ordered. My 4 yr old laptop had finally had enough. With this comes an annoyance of windows 8. I don't want apps on my computer, That's what a phone or a tablet is for. I don't mind add-ons, but those need to stay a part of programs, not the OS... be it as it may, I'm REALLY trying to keep an open mind about windows 8, despite being able to count on one hand the perks of it. I miss my 7..... ANYWAYS..

I have been an AVID fan of Winamp for the past 9 or so years. It seems that while Winamp is supported by some versions of windows 8 it has stability problems in mine. What I need is a full-fleged media player, equivalent to Winamp. I am incredibly OCD about how my music is organized, and I have quite a bit of it... somewhere around 45 gigs. That being said, it's pretty high on my priority list. I do have VLC, and I use it from time to time, but as far as interface goes it really doesn't cut it for me. I am temporarily using Media Monkey for now until a better option is shown to me.

Few things to keep in mind, I will not support Apple in any way. I hate Windows media center (it's a pain in the butt) and don't like WMP or Real Player (They lost me when they moved away from the RealOne player years ago.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking from some media options
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking from some media options
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry you lost me at stability.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2013 4:06 AM PDT

I haven't seen that issue here.

However I did add CLASSIC SHELL (see google) to ease the transition. So far, so good.

What stability issue did you have with your new PC?
Bob

Collapse -
I have classic shell
by cmstache / July 6, 2013 4:18 AM PDT

It crashed after about 5-8 seconds. Didn't matter what compatibility mode I was running, nor did it matter whether is had admin rights or not. I didn't see a SINGLE reproduction of this issue on any searches either. Just assume it's not ready.

I am also going to put a version of linux on here at some point too. Not sure which on I want yet, looking at Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studios or maybe a Puppy, for the light-weight aspect. If I ran Linux Side-by-Side could I run media on linux while working in Spendows?

Win8 64-bit
6 core- 3.3GHz
8GB RAM
Board: MSI
NVIDIA GeForce GT610

Collapse -
Is this a self built PC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2013 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I have classic shell

I'm running 8 on some laptops and across a handful of laptops (the office has a few) I think I've had one crash. Rebooted and it never happened again.

Is there something I need to try?
Bob

Collapse -
Im not entirely sure.
by cmstache / July 6, 2013 11:30 AM PDT

I updated all the drivers (since it was out of the box), tried several versions, rebooted, etc. I don't know what causes it. Searching the HDD for media is an instacrash. Otherwise waiting makes is crash, just takes a few seconds longer.

Collapse -
Event Log
by cmstache / July 6, 2013 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Im not entirely sure.

Tried to install again. As usual, crashed... Here's the event log.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-07-07T01:36:52.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>708</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Cameron</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>winamp.exe</Data>
<Data>5.6.4.3418</Data>
<Data>51cb537f</Data>
<Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
<Data>6.2.9200.16578</Data>
<Data>515fac6e</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>000618d0</Data>
<Data>7d8</Data>
<Data>01ce7ab26d424a1f</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
<Data>b266ad7e-e6a5-11e2-be72-d43d7e978d53</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>

I have no idea what it means though. Happy

Collapse -
Forgot to answer, not It's not a self-built PC.
by cmstache / July 6, 2013 11:52 AM PDT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229362 <----- Still a step up from that Toshiba laptop I had for four years though. Happy

Also, It seems now it's ONLY crashing when scanning for media. I think it was crashing automatically because I told it to scan in the background. Just using it as a player (which is a waste) let's it run as normal. This might help you out some.
Collapse -
Ahh two nuggets on that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2013 12:15 PM PDT

1. Cyberpower. Not well known to get the drivers right.
2. Scanning for media crash. This is an oldie. I think you've been around the block and you bring up a good question. Should Microsoft close the door on CODECs to fix that old issue?
Bob

Collapse -
dirver issues...
by cmstache / July 6, 2013 9:45 PM PDT

So, what drivers/codecs should i go and get?

Collapse -
Drivers are the age old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2013 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: dirver issues...

You get the ones that work. If new, and they set it up, it's OK most of the time. But that name has me worry they flubbed it.

As to CODECs it's a lot of work. some folk download a pot load of videos and the encoding is all over the map. So you have to find the file that crashes WMP or such (sometimes it takes out the OS) and then use tools like VLC PLAYER or MEDIA INFO to inspect the file and find a codec.

You bring up a good point, that is, is it time to go to a system that disallows such encoding?
Bob

Collapse -
almost all my stuff is the same
by cmstache / July 7, 2013 4:18 AM PDT

Its almost exclusivly .wma or .mp3. And it scans so fast i cant read what its scanning. Any step-by-step guides to fix it?

Collapse -
None I know of.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2013 5:28 AM PDT

I have my method which is to narrow it down to the file by any means. Usually you know it's in such and such folder then you can place half the files in another folder and then try again.

Usually I find the file it coughs on in less than 5 tries. Some folk have no patience for this.
Bob

Collapse -
narrowing it down
by cmstache / July 7, 2013 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: None I know of.

If its the file crashes it during a search will it also crash it while playing it?

Collapse -
Turned off the auto-scan.
by cmstache / July 7, 2013 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: None I know of.

Still crashes after about 4-5 seconds. What's really irritating is the inconsistency. It seems there are other people who have had the problem when it scans large libraries, but it's happening even when it's idle and doing nothing for me.

Collapse -
Windows has its index feature
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2013 2:55 AM PDT

As it scan when idle that's a small clue. I would be off to the event viewer and if there are MOVIES from TORRENTS or such I would remove them from the machine for a test run.

This is well discussed and you might feel shortchanged from me. I apologize for that.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.