Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

Looking for shopping cart advice

by rondvorak / June 5, 2013 1:22 AM PDT

I am the web developer for a site that accepts payments using an order form that gets submitted to a PayPal page. It works, but I would like to make it
more user friendly by doing the following:

1. Replace the order form with a shopping cart.
2. Find an alternative to PayPal that directs customers to a screen where the only option(or at least most obvious) is for the customer to pay with a
credit card. PayPal gives users two options, pay with a PayPal account or Pay with another method(paraphrasing), and it isn't that obvious at first glance
that the other method is via credit card. Also, finding a cheaper way to accept payments would be a bonus.

Does anyone know of any good solutions to either of these problems?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for shopping cart advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for shopping cart advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Take a look
by Sovereign Forum moderator / June 7, 2013 12:23 AM PDT

at FoxyCart. All it does is handle the checkout and the payment. You handle the products, design, functionality, etc.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Answer
ECommerce solution
by InMotionHosting / June 7, 2013 1:28 AM PDT

Hello rondvorak !

You can use a free open source program to create the shopping cart for your. You can get a merchant account with your bank and set up the shopping cart software. Below are the steps you take to get the eCommerce site working.

E-Commerce: Step 1 - Choose which Shopping Cart Software to use
- OS Commerce
- Zen Cart
- CubeCart
- OpenCart
- Prestashop
- Virtuemart

E-Commerce: Step 2 - Install your Shopping Cart Software
- You can install the Free programs on any server that runs PHP.

E-Commerce: Step 3 - Configure your Shop and Load your Products
- After you've installed your E-commerce application, your next step is to configure your store and load your products.

E-Commerce: Step 4 - Setup your Merchant Account Gateway
- Your Merchant account and Gateway is what will allow you to receive payments from your customers.

E-Commerce: Step 5 - Choose your type of SSL
- SSL, which stands for Secure Sockets Layer, is the most popular protocol used online to secure connections over the web. If you will be having customers enter sensitive information into your store, such as credit card information, you'll want it to be secured over an SSL connection.

E-Commerce: Step 6 - Configuring SSL
- The next step is to configure your store with the appropriate SSL settings

E-Commerce: Step 7 - Testing your Online Store
- After you've setup your online store, added your products, and configured your SSL Certificate, your last step is to test your site and ensure it is working as it should. You'll want to buy a few products and test your available payment modules (such as your merchant account).

After to have the cart set up your will be able to receive payments in your bank account instead of PayPal.

Best Regards,
James R

Collapse -
Answer
E-commerce solution
by Operion / June 9, 2013 8:08 PM PDT

There are 2 way of solution.
Open source system cart system. You could search and see which 1 is suit your requirement.
or
Paid for a system. Get some webmaster to create your requirement and paid for it.
Maybe you can visit our website www.operion.com.my for details.

Collapse -
Answer
Shooping Cart Option
by HelloGeek / June 27, 2013 5:25 PM PDT

I always Paypal as I can say that paypal is the best and safe payment method. For open cart, I have ever used nopcommerce, oscommerce and magento. 3 of them are great and easy to customize.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.