Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Looking for PDA compatible with Vista 64

by momtodogs / October 3, 2008 11:26 PM PDT

I just bought a HP TouchSmart 64-bit computer, running Vista Home Premium 64.

My old computer had Windows XP and I have discovered that my Palm Tungsten E is not compatible with the 64-bit format, and it doesn't look like Palm is going to step up to the plate with new drivers.

Soooo..... I am shopping for a new PDA. I don't want a smartphone. Tried a couple, and didn't like them, and didn't need the internet access 'to go'. I use Microsoft Office 2007, so the PDA needs to be able to sync with Outlook 2007 (contacts and calendar), and download Word documents.

Can anyone recommend a PDA for me? I might need to go back a couple of generations (after paying for my new PC) and look at a used one, so please specify which models will work for me. I don't use the 'graffiti' method of data input, so a PDA with a QWERTY keyboard (provided it is small enough to put in my purse/tote) or stylus would work for me.

Thanks so much (in advance) for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for PDA compatible with Vista 64
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for PDA compatible with Vista 64
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually the Palm does work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2008 11:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
Did you check the Palm site ?
by gunnerds / October 3, 2008 11:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
no 64-bit upgrade for Palm OS, and no TE bluetooth
by momtodogs / October 4, 2008 5:43 AM PDT

Thanks to both of you for the quick response; however, those are options I have already explored.

R. Proffitt-
The Palm site update 'supposedly' for 64-bit, doesn't work. I tried it. Wouldn't install.
As of today:'At this time, Palm Desktop 6.2 (for Palm OS devices) does not support 64-bit editions of Windows Vista. Windows Mobile Device Center (for Windows Mobile devices) supports 64-bit editions of Windows Vista.' Unfortunately the TE is an OS device, not a Windows Mobile Device.

The Tungsten E is not bluetooth capable (and has no aftermarket device that will make it so.) This only became possible with the E2. The wi-fi card adapter won't work with the E's OS, and although Enfora makes a wi-fi sled adapter, it is only for the Treo.

Collapse -
For you, IRDA sync.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2008 7:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
need help to fPDA that will sync with Vista and Outlook 2007
by bindy12 / November 1, 2008 3:33 AM PDT

Can anyone recommmend a PDA that will sync with my new laptop which has 64-bit Windows Vista and Outlook 2007. I don't want a phone.

Collapse -
PDA that syncs w/new laptop (Windows Vista) & Outlook 2007
by bindy12 / November 1, 2008 3:40 AM PDT

We have the same problem you had syncing our Palm Tungsten E2 to new laptop with Windows Vista and Outlook 2007. We urgently need to know what solution you found. Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
The solution above works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2008 3:50 AM PDT

Use bluetooth or irda. The E2 has both.

Collapse -
Our problem may be different?
by bindy12 / November 1, 2008 8:23 AM PDT

Hmmm . . . our problem may be different than others. We tried everything suggested (except irda - what is it?)including Bluetooth to transfer our contacts and calender from the Tungsten E2 to the new HP laptop with Vista. Error messages always - and not always the same errors. One salesperson said that some tungsten's work and others won't and suggested we could buy a new tungsten that "might or might not" work! We finally just bought a Palm TREO this afternoon but tech experts at two stores still find that we will have to enter all the contacts and calendered items in the new TREO manually. There appears to be NO WAY to transfer the information from the old Palm Tungsten to the new Palm TREO or to the HP laptop with VISTA. The Tungsten can not detect the TREO. We seem to be stuck with a compatibility issue, maybe between the old and new operating systems, or maybe just a bug in our PDA device???

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2008 8:57 AM PDT

So you have a different issue? That is, how to move items from one PDA to another. Not to shortchange you here but the issue of Hotsync is well discussed. As to irda I don't duplicate easy to find info (this is all volunteer work so you get out and push or search for such things.)

Ok. How to move contacts, etc. from Palm to Palm is done in many ways. Some expect a clear, concise, this always works tutorial. Sadly with all the changes that roll out each month what I did last week may fail. But why not sync with the Palm Desktop and then sync the second device. Now copy/paste between the accounts on the Palm Desktop? Again, some expect me or someone to give a tutorial. Sorry.

PS. Remember I'm just an author and user of the PalmOS PDAs. While it makes sense to me this doesn't mean it will make sense to others.

PPS. If your issue is NOT the original subject you may want to make a new post about it.

Collapse -
thank you
by bindy12 / November 2, 2008 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: Ahh.

I'm a new user of Vista and PDA's in general (Palms specifically). The only reason I'm involved in this is to keep my husband from having a heart attack over too much computer challenges. So I need to ask another dumb question:

We have been unsuccessful hotsyncing from Palm TungstenE2 to PalmDesktop (on his new laptop w/Palm Desktop and Vista). His old laptop (which died a sudden death at a very inopportune time in the development of his new green technology start-up. On his old laptop, hotsyncing worked perfectly every time and we could have easily done what you suggested.

No tech person has been able to help us hotsync to get his contacts or calender off the Tungsten and onto the new laptop PalmDesktop (we get various error messages). We called Palm and their experts concurred there is NO WAY it can be done since Vista and the Tungsten are incompatible due to 64-bit, 32-bit incompatibility. So we bought a TREO and are entering all the old contacts manually into the new Treo. It is heartbreaking when technology lets you down at times or urgent need.

Collapse -
I'm sorry everyone let you down.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2008 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: thank you

I'm seeing failure after failure in the areas of support (pick any product.) It's amazing to see Palm say no way when you can read the links about about how others cracked this nut.

I can only hope others will dig in and use the methods above. But then again how many will get the bluetooth link working? I'm a seasoned user, a programmer that is writing applications on these devices and was amazed it wasn't easier. Those that just want this stuff to work will be disappointed.

Collapse -
by bindy12 / November 2, 2008 11:10 PM PST

I appreciate your volunteer time making technical suggestions to help me!

I have several disabilities when it comes to getting technology working. Sometimes, without guidance from computing experts, I, like many others, are left in the dark. It is only when good people are willing to help good people that we can move forward to accomplish mutually beneficial goals. My husband and I are focused like a laser on helping America become energy independent with renewable energy sources as quickly as possible.

One last question - If I missed a key point you or someone else already communicated, PLEASE let me know where to find it. I'm happy to dig if I know where to turn. I honestly don't know whether I'm really stuck or if I have just given up too soon.

Thank you for your kindness in responding.

Collapse -
The Bluetooth solution was in the first reply above. Repeat
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: link
Collapse -
Status from the OP
by momtodogs / November 1, 2008 9:51 AM PDT

Thanks so much for all your advice. I've considered all your suggestions, and since I am not a tinkerer/programmer, I decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I switched to AT&T (my sister has that and we talk a lot, and she's been extolling the virtues of SIM cards), and got their Tilt smartphone. So far I am getting along with it. It has a lot of nice features. I will be cancelling the data service after the first month. Don't use it, and will see if I can block it so I don't accidently use it.

The only complaint I have, so far, is that with the voice command, I have to say the whole name (first and last) of the person I am calling because ALL of the Outlook info is sync'd. I may create a few frequent 'dummy' contacts with just their first names (because I am lazy.)

Please chime in with your opinions, if you feel I made an unwise decision. I can still cancel until the 7th.

mtd (OP)

Collapse -
I think that's the right move.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2008 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Status from the OP

The days are waning when we expected everyone to put up with only 47 steps to get a device to do what we now expect in two mouse click. ActiveSync attempts to address this with a just plug in and it syncs.

Good luck on your new choice.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.