The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Looking for LARGE SCREEN tablet pc

by mesofun / March 10, 2009 6:34 PM PDT

All the tablets I've seen so far offer pretty small screens. It seems the trend is to get smaller and smaller; but what I need is a tablet that has a minimum 17 inch screen, but would really prefer 18 inches or more. I need to be able to swivel my laptop around so my clients can see architectural diagrams without constantly having to squirm out of their chairs to see. I need a tablet in order to circle areas of the diagram a client may want changed such as pool location.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for LARGE SCREEN tablet pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for LARGE SCREEN tablet pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's no 'trend'.
by fbbbb / March 26, 2009 6:44 PM PDT

The screens are small because tablets are intended to be carried and used on the move. You're not going to do that with a >3.5Kg behemoth.

Collapse -
YES. There are such things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 12:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Wow!
by zetaone / October 27, 2011 1:38 PM PDT

I want one of those. This is what CSI and Hawaii 5 O shows have on their headquarters. And i thought they were just made by their graphics team. Its real and its awesome.

Collapse -
Looking for LARGE SCREEN tablet pc
by MV960 / October 21, 2011 10:57 AM PDT

Tablets are meant to be portable.That was the entire concept behind the design. Sounds like you need to look into a larger screen laptop. Another alternative would be to place a large size monitor on a swivel table so you can swing it around when you need to.

Collapse -
Tablet PC
by zetaone / October 27, 2011 1:36 PM PDT

Maybe shouldn't go for a tablet pc.because they are designed with smaller screen than laptops. You could connect an Ipad or another tablet pc for the clients.

Collapse -
Looking for LARGE SCREEN tablet pc by mesofun
by BuddyBrooks / January 20, 2012 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Tablet PC

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><span style="'font-family:" "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>Wow,
<span style="'font-family:" "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>Wow! Unbelievable! You people just don't get it! I am appalled! There are many valid reasons for
wanting a large screen tablet that is portable. Just because you don't need
one, don't ridicule those of us who have been dying for one. It is not a
ridiculous request.
<span style="'font-family:" "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>Many companies would love to have inexpensive portable
tablets large enough to display drawings that could be carried around a shop
floor or customers facility in place of paper drawings, especially if there
were a markup feature. It would also be great to take one on site when doing
site surveys. Not to mention reading for those of us with less than perfect
eyesight. I am surprised at how narrow minded you can be.
<span style="'font-family:" "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>The Que was a nice
candidate if someone had just finished it. There is a huge market available.
You need to quit telling us what we need and listen to the fact that many of us
want a large lightweight tablet for document display (Graphics, drawings, Magazine,
reading). An Ipad is too small for what I want. I am not a 90 lb weakling. A
leather portfolio pad size is nice (8.5 x 11) and comfortable for most to carry
around. Most of us Engineering types would prefer an 11 x 17(b size drawings). <?xml:namespace prefix =" o" ns =" "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"" /><o:p></o:p>
</font><span class="subject"><span style="'font-family:" "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>>There's
no 'trend'.<span style="'font-family:" "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>

>by <a href="http://www.cnet.com/profile/fbbbb/"><span style="color: rgb(41, 100, 191);">fbbbb</a>
- 3/27/09 1:44 AM

>In Reply to: <a href="http://forums.cnet.com/7723-12544_102-334145/looking-for-large-screen-tablet-pc/?refresh=1327076883231#message2999359"><span style="color: rgb(41, 100, 191);">Looking for LARGE SCREEN tablet pc</a> by <a href="http://www.cnet.com/profile/mesofun/"><span style="color: rgb(41, 100, 191);">mesofun</a>

>The screens are small because tablets are intended to be carried and used
on the move. You're not going >to do that with a >3.5Kg behemoth.
<span style="'font-family:" "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>You are
wrong! there is a trend and it needs to change!
<span style="'font-family:" "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'><a href="http://www.cnet.com/profile/MV960/"><span style="color: rgb(41, 100, 191);">MV960</a>
you missed the whole point.<o:p></o:p>
</font><span style="'font-family:" "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>Surely
someone can develop something for a reasonable cost. Start with just a portable
display for images (pdf's?, jpegs, dwgs). Engineering and architectural images
can be quite complex and small screens are nearly useless.<o:p></o:p>
</font>

Collapse -
Large screen tablet
by BuddyBrooks / January 20, 2012 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: Tablet PC

Wow! Unbelievable! You people just don't get it! I am appalled! There are many valid reasons for wanting a large screen tablet that is portable. Just because you don't need one, don't ridicule those of us who have been dying for one. It is not a rediculous request.
Many companies would love to have inexpensive portable tablets large enough to display drawings that could be carried around a shop floor or customers facility in place of paper drawings, especially if there were a markup feature. It would also be great to take one on site when doing site surveys. Not to mention reading for those of us with less than perfect eyesight. I am surprised at how narrow minded you can be.

The Que was a nice candidate if someone had just finished it. There is a huge market available. You need to quit telling us what we need and listen to the fact that many of us want a large lightweight tablet for document display (Graphics, drawings, magazines, books).

Collapse -
Where you been?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Large screen tablet

When I need big displays I use a projector. Have for years. And if I need bigger with lots of detail we go old school with big sheets of PAPER from a big printer.

Sorry but you seem to go around the block a few more times. All this is done daily at many firms.
Bob

Collapse -
Cost effective Large screen tablets/smartphones
by briteliteselect / February 16, 2012 6:21 AM PST

I agree with comments that imply large screen tablets are needed. I am vision impaired as many baby boomers are, and I need large screens and fonts. The mulit-touch screen mentioned above is a step in the right direction. Thank goodness Windows 7 has the built in full screen magnifier that does not affect processor performance at all. I would like to be able to us a smart phone or a tablet, but they are just to small and are basically useless for people like me. I have seen some 10 inch tablets that might work, but 17-18 inch would be ideal. Expecially if it included smartphone capabilities like LTE data access and phone, as well as all the app crap. Yes, I am a software developer. The majority of apps are just crap.

Collapse -
Re: tablet
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 16, 2012 8:58 AM PDT

Surely they can be made, technically speaking. But it seems the companies that can don't do it for marketing reasons. In once sentence: they don't expect to sell enough to recover the costs.

Kees

Collapse -
Large Screen Tablet PCs
by AccessibilityGeek / March 16, 2012 8:31 AM PDT

I have a 17-inch Mac laptop. I positively love it. However, if I want to get comfortable and the clunky size of the laptop prevents me from doing so. It would be so nice to just remove the screen portion of my laptop, sigh. I find that larger screens allow more visual field.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.