Peripherals forum

Looking for Info on CAD Vinyl Cutters / Software?

by Newaygo1 / December 20, 2012 4:59 AM PST

Well I am not sure this is the right section for this but not sure where I might find information but I am looking for a Computer Aided Design Vinyl Cutter and suppliers like Glow in The Dark Sheet Material. I am looking for the ability to cut round shapes / circles in different sizes. I found a couple of cutters but not much as to what is an easy one to use. And they seem to get pricey. I am looking for a lower cost one for basic use but not sure what brand will be good for light usage just now and then.

Where might I find some info and brands and maybe some reviews?

Any links to this would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for Info on CAD Vinyl Cutters / Software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for Info on CAD Vinyl Cutters / Software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I know this area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 5:27 AM PST

The software is not cheap (or free.) Is what you want to do possible with the hobby cutters like a crickut?

Collapse -
Just starting to look not sure what is a decent one.
by Newaygo1 / December 20, 2012 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: I know this area.

Found one, a Silhoutte Cameo is the one maybe in my price range but seems that finding the Glow in the Dark Sheet Material is small amounts is another thing. The first few I came across are 1500.00 to 5000.00 and those are in my budget. Not sure what a Crikcut even is. Not much with any kind of peripherials just the basic printers or computers. I am looking to be able to cut circles in 2.5 inches or less to start not sure about anything larger right now. Just looking to see if I can afford one. trying to research them right now...

Thanks for posting.

I will see if I can find anything on the "crickut".

Collapse -
The folk I worked with on cutters
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 6:59 AM PST

Used much bigger units that handled heavy material you use in sign making. The type you put up and give them a decade warranty. For hobby use I don't see anything wrong with that unit and it beats the costs of what I helped folk with.

Just pay attention to the media it handles and don't be cheap on the knives. The cutting blades do not last that long (none do) and the beginner always seems to complain after a while and all it is, is a dull blade.

Collapse -
Thanks but more ??s
by Newaygo1 / December 20, 2012 7:18 AM PST

The Cricut does not seem to support any kind of software but ones specific to the machine itself. And you cannot know what software is there is no description just "Live Simply Circut Lite Cartridge" or "Paper Play Circut" are two that you can buy with the machine itself. I am hoping to cut rings of material and when I searcxh the Cricut website I did not find any "Glow In the Dark" Material. Thanks for the cutters getting dull info. Seems that each has their pros & cons I will continue looking.

Thanks for the info and time...

Collapse -
Sorry I can't find the question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks but more ??s

You did write about the Silhoutte but the cheap thing I noted was for folk that wanted shapes without using a PC. I was tossing that out because you lead with costs and it looked like a basic shape.

Sorry but if you are asking me to search for materials, I have to defer to google, amazon, and the cutter makers.

Collapse -
the Cricut is what I was refering to...
by Newaygo1 / December 20, 2012 8:14 AM PST

Done the Google thing for the last few days and the Glow In the Dark Materiual is also not readily available. The one I did find is a yellowish in color and not the white I have seen and hoping to find. As well buying 100.00 worth is not worth it and 20 yards is a lot more than I will ever use. Thanks just looking for other 300.00 units and what software is compatible with ones similar to the Silhoutte Cameo Unit. guess it will be alot more time refining my terms for the google searxch.

But that is the computer age for me...

Again thanks just trying to learn if there are other units out there.

I know of 2 now and I will keep looking... Just thought more might know of other models that are available but I guess the cost is why there aren't.

Collapse -
100 is typical for a material item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 8:19 AM PST

Sorry but you're talking with someone that was working with folk with those 4 foot wide cutters. 100 bucks of material goes fast there and some of the metallics were worse. Sorry I'm not a good source for hunting down material.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.