Cameras

General discussion

Looking for digital camera for teenager

by tclarno / September 24, 2010 12:51 PM PDT

I am looking for a new digital camera for my daughter(19). I don't want to spend more than $300. A couple of the features I think she would like are Samsung's dual screen, she loves to take pics of herself and friends; the new 3D panoramic sweep camera; and I know there are a few cameras with swivel lcd screens as well. Nothing complicated, she will make some minor adjustments, but that's it. She does like to make video clips and uploads to the computer so removable media is also liked. She does care about clarity and quality and takes moving shots so I think I would also need something that doesn't lag between pics, 6 seconds to get ready for a picture is too long. Thanks so much for everyone's knowledge.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for digital camera for teenager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for digital camera for teenager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like the Samsung to me
by PistonCupChampion / September 24, 2010 1:53 PM PDT

The TL225 gets good reviews, and has all the features you're looking for, save for the panoramic mode. It's also faster performance-wise, compared to most compacts. Here's the most detailed review I've seen; the site gives it their editor's choice award ("Dave's Picks"):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/TL225/TL225A.HTM

Collapse -
new
by tclarno / September 25, 2010 2:00 AM PDT

Samsung has 2 new models and I can't find much about them; the ST100 and the ST600. Aside from the pixel count I couldn't find much different, any thoughts on the new ones? Thanks again.

Collapse -
New = More Expensive
by PistonCupChampion / September 25, 2010 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: new

Unless you've got to have the latest thing, it's not worth spending more money. I highly doubt they would take better photos. From a quick glance at the features, it looks like you get some extra gadgety gimmicks, like Jump Shot, and a gesture driven touchscreen interface (which I read in a review of another Samsung camera as "odd.") The ST100 has an internal zoom lens (it doesn't protrude out of the camera when you turn it on), so it's even more pocketable.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.