Headphones & Mp3 Players

Resolved Question

Looking for an Mp3 Player...

by GreenBit / January 27, 2013 5:11 PM PST

What is a good mp3 player that just plays mp3s, with an exceptional battery-life and has a screen so you can see what songs you select?

GreenBit has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for an Mp3 Player...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for an Mp3 Player...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by GreenBit

Collapse -
Sansa!
by 2TeckResearch / February 16, 2013 6:33 AM PST

When you say plays just mp3's do you mean you can't have a player that does anything else like voice recording or radio? I love sansa's especially the fuze because 1. Expandable micro sd slot and 2. Nice button layout 3. Rocboxable! Rockbox makes a much better firmware than the original sansa (http://www.rockbox.org/) I would go for the fuze, and don't forget because they are expandable you really don't have to worry about the player it's self having that much space.

Collapse -
Le Sansa~
by GreenBit / February 16, 2013 12:53 PM PST
In reply to: Sansa!

In the irony of it all, that's the EXACT one I got... Though, I do not understand the Rockbox part... The Sansa Fuze, contrary to what I thought it would have been like. It is actually very good in terms of simplicity, work-ability and ease of use. Though, I never actually use the "Sync" function. I like that it is Small and compact. Though, the only downside is that I wish I would be able to see a "percentage of battery life left" or "amount of time left for battery life" indicator, instead of the battery icon.. But all in all, it really is a great player. I purchased it 2 days after the original post and I am currently using it now...

Though, I was about to get the Sansa Clip+... But instead had the Fuze find its way into my hands... And I was not sure if it was good in comparison to the Clip+(since the Clip+ looked even more simpler than the Fuze).

2TeckResearch, Thanks for for giving me closure on my mp3 player, but what is this Rockbox?

-GreenBit

Collapse -
What is Rockbox!!!
by 2TeckResearch / February 16, 2013 3:41 PM PST
In reply to: Le Sansa~

<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 11pt;">Sorry, it's just hard for
me to remember a time when I didn't know about Rockbox. Basically it replaces
the original sansa firmware. Actually it just installs over the original
firmware, which means you can go back to it if you don't like Rockbox. Rockbox
has many different themes you can install, different colors different text
sizes ect. And I think practically all of them have a 'percentage of battery
left' indicator. The way you do it is simple, go download the installer (<a href="http://www.rockbox.org/download/"><font color="#0000ff">http://www.rockbox.org/download/</font></a>)
and then it should walk you though the rest.
<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 11pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 11pt;">

Some important things are: 1. Plug your fuze in<span style="font-family: Arial;"> before you run the Rockbox installer. 2. Make sure the
Sansa is in<span style="font-family: Arial;"> MSC mode.
You can't install Rockbox if the Sansa is in MTP mode. 3. Also you must know is
if you have a <span style="font-family: Arial;">V2 fuze
or a <span style="font-family: Arial;">V1. Then, you go
to the 'change' button at the very top of the dialog box and select yours from
the list. If you are lucky just hitting auto detect will work. Also, don't
forget that next to the 'themes' they have a 'customize' button. It lets you go
in and chose which themes you want it to install. I always select them all,
they don't take you much space and you can try them all out and chose which one
you like. And remember, you can customize whatever theme you chose (text color,
size, background color).

Here is the Rockbox installation manual page for the fuze (<a href="http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansafuze/rockbox-buildch2.html#x4-60002"><font color="#0000ff">http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansafuze/rockbox-buildch2.html#x4-60002</font></a>)
<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 11pt;">Sorry if that's too much.
It really is worth it. I love my rockbox it does everything I ask it to do. I
think my favorite feature is being able to create bookmarks and have a whole
list of them so I can go back and forth between many tracks at the same point I
left.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Have fun!</font></font>

Collapse -
Oops!
by 2TeckResearch / February 16, 2013 3:43 PM PST
In reply to: What is Rockbox!!!

Sorry about all that font color font family, hope you can read through it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.