Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Looking for an Image Resizing Program that uses inches

by shanna78 / June 22, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

I'm looking for a free image resizing program that resizes in inches. If anyone knows of one please let me know...I'm trying to resize a picture to 3 x 4 inches and I've already downloaded 2 programs that only use pixels.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for an Image Resizing Program that uses inches
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for an Image Resizing Program that uses inches
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I know this problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2007 4:58 AM PDT

Usually we have to discuss the DPI issue first and then we can get it done.

Check out IRFANVIEW first.

Bob

Collapse -
IrfanView can do that
by ChuckT / June 22, 2007 7:24 AM PDT
IrfanView can do that, but you really ought to think about what it is you really want to do.

To resize an image to inches really depends upon a DPI (dots Per Inch) setting within the picture data. The DPI setting can be adjusted within a file and NOT change the actual pixel count at all. The end result MAY be a different printout of the same image, even though no pixel data has changed - at all!

For example, if you have an image that is 600 pixels wide and 300 pixels tall can you tell me what size the hardcopy will be?
NO you can't, because that pixel data alone is not enough to absolutely say what the hardcopy will be.

Taking those pixel dimensions (600 x 300) and at
200 DPI, the hardcopy would be 3" x 1.5", and at
150 DPI, the hardcopy would be 4" x 2", and at
100 DPI, the hardcopy would be 6" x 3",
and that is only when the horizontal and vertical DPI are identical (usually they are) but they can be different.
If I set the DPI to 150 horizontal and 100 vertical, then those setting could make the hardcopy to be 4" x 3" (the size you mentioned).

Notice I said could make. The reason is that the printing program could possibly ignore the DPI setting entirely. For example, if I put that exact same image into a Word document, and I set the frame, that the picture resides in, to print at 2 inches wide and 5 inches tall, I could. The DPI setting and the number of pixels would be ignored.

You never mentioned if the resulting inches, that you want are for the printout or for the screen display.
If you are talking about the size on the screen (not the hardcopy) then usually most display tools will display 1 picture pixel per 1 screen pixel. Also the number of pixels per inch on a screen is usually MUCH lower than what a printer prints at.
Many screens are approximately 72 pixels per inch - BUT you can not count on that. I have three LCD screens here (LCD becoming the most popular - but not the only kind) that have 85, and 91, and 146 PPI (Pixels Per Inch). So my display of that same image would change size depending upon what display I was using.

Hardcopy can avoid that variance with that setting of the DPI (data inside the file) IF the printer program follows the DPI setting. And even that can be ignored. I can use a picture printing program to print an image to result in any particular size - regardless of the number of pixels, or the DPI setting.

So ... what to do ...?
In a singe word... IrfanView can do any of it. There are many other image viewing/editing/printing programs around, as well. Some are more or less capable, but none are cheaper, since IrfanView is FREE.

I started off with not knowing what you wanted to do, and now it is up to you to decide what it is you want to do. You can either tell us more details and have someone here give you some more guidance, or you can just investigate and play with some of the tools, like IrfanView, that are around.

My key point here, though, is: do not think there is one answer to an ambiguous question like asking for a program to resize images to inches.
Collapse -
For Printing Purposes
by shanna78 / June 25, 2007 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: IrfanView can do that

I'm trying to print pictures to fit in a frame size of 4 x 3 inches.

All this information is very enlightening. I have been dabbling in image and graphics for a little while now and I was not aware of the DPI thing. Luckily I did find that a trial program that came with my computer actually does resize the image to inches once you hit the print button and was able to size the image like I had wanted. (The trial period has elasped and I can no longer use the main functions)

In the future I will try IrfanView as I do want one program for all corrections, sizing and printing purposes.

Are there any more good free programs that are good for this?

Thanks so much for all of your help.

Collapse -
Re: Are there any more good free programs
by ChuckT / June 25, 2007 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: For Printing Purposes
Collapse -
IrfanView will do the job
by grimgraphix / June 22, 2007 11:41 AM PDT

Open a file with Irfan View

Select the Image drop down file and click on Resize/Resample

In the dialog window click on select new size radio button

Select Units: inches radio button

type in the new size using the width and height box

You may have to manually crop the image if you insist on it being exactly 3 x 4.

You might also check out http://www.gimp.org for a free image manipulation program that is, in many ways, comparable to PhotoShop... both in complexity and capability.

Good Luck

grim

Collapse -
Re: You may have to manually crop the image if you insist
by ChuckT / June 22, 2007 5:21 PM PDT

Re: "You may have to manually crop the image if you insist on it being exactly 3 x 4"

Not really, all you need to do is unselect "Preserve aspect ratio"
(Note: this may noticeably distort the resulting resize.)

Without unselecting "Preserve aspect ratio" as soon as you enter either the Width or the Height, the other (Height or Width) will automatically changed for you. But the image does not distort.

And, shanna78, using this method will simply resize the overall image to whatever DPI is already in the image data, times the inches you have entered.
(That is, if you enter in "N" inches and the DPI is "D", the end result will be NxD.)

Collapse -
PhotoShop
by Doomrayz / July 5, 2007 12:05 PM PDT

Adobe PhotoShop Elements is a excellent program, but isn't free. Although it only costs around $80. It uses inches and I luv it Happy

Collapse -
Photoshop does everything
by taboma / July 11, 2007 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: PhotoShop

Doomrayz, It costs a heck of a lot more commercially. Student versions are cheap!
You can size in inches or pixels easily.

At work I always adjust the image first for the print job.
And at what resolution? Double the resolution for the printing screen used.
If printing for a school newspaper than the resolution should be at about 220 for a 110 line screen.
A slick commercial job would be at 300 res. for a 150 line screen.

If the image block is a 4"x5", than the Photoshop image should be cropped and sized at 100% and 4x5. You could go to 115% also. Makes for a better relationship between your commercial printer and the rips that process your image.
Will speed up your printing time and possibly lower your cost if you know how to generate the files for a commercial printer. Talk to your commercial printer first and ask what size files they want.

If you have multiple uses for that image always do a save-as from the original image always.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Nope, it is about $80
by Doomrayz / July 12, 2007 4:24 AM PDT

I'm talking about Photoshop ELEMENTS(around $80) not full Photoshop(at least $300).

Collapse -
Regardless it is still not FREE
by ChuckT / July 12, 2007 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope, it is about $80

and shanna78 was asking for a FREE program.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.