Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Looking for a secure shredder/Eraser for Internet content!!

by The Nightingale / January 14, 2006 5:31 AM PST

Hi there!

I'm looking for a program/piece of software which can securely erase pretty much all the internet content on my PC! Of course I know it would be almost impossible to find something which will get rid of it all, but maybe I could erase/shred the things that the software can't manually, with a little guidance perhaps...

Now I'm more than willing to spend up to

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a secure shredder/Eraser for Internet content!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a secure shredder/Eraser for Internet content!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Window Washer...
by John.Wilkinson / January 14, 2006 7:16 AM PST

Personally, I feel Webroot's Window Washer is the best deal around ($30 USD), and gets the job done fast and efficiently. It may not be perfect, but it should give any recovery software/service a run for its money (say,

Collapse -
Agree with Window Washer
by jahan / January 21, 2006 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: Window Washer...

It has worked well for me for about 5 years now.
Very strongly recommend it.

Collapse -
ERASER
by Robert999 / January 14, 2006 7:18 AM PST

I use 2
Ultra Wipe free

Eraser free

wipes clusters plus open space
can make a floppy to wipe disk completly up to 35
wipes

Can't help with email

Collapse -
Whatever program you use -- Make sure it worked!
by indiecds / January 19, 2006 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: ERASER

I downloaded ''Simple File Shredder 2.5'' for the purpose of cleaning up 2 hard drives on an old PC before giving it to my nephew. I had a lot of personal information and such that I didn't want anyone to have access to. After using the file shredder I downloaded ''Restoration 2.5.14'' to test it to see if I could restore any of the shredded files. Guess what! I was able to restore files deleted from both hard drives!!! That was a surprise! So I used the function on this Restoration program to permanently delete the files which does so by writing over them and changing file names etc. and success! I recommend this to anyone that needs to either restore a file or needs to make sure files can't be restored.

Collapse -
Well,....
by Papa Echo / January 14, 2006 12:33 PM PST

If you are so concerned and paranoic with the data on the computer, perhaps you need some second thoughts about using it. ''Eraser'' programs and such are not 100% perfect nor foolproof and are not created for what you have in mind, although they may work. The system can be configured to remove history and cookies at shutdown. You can also congigure it to have history for 0 days, and not to leave Temporary Internet files. You can even password protect the Hard disk....e-mails can be encrypted... For your purposes then, it would be better to configure so, password protect the system, and keep the computer under lock and key. IMHO.

Collapse -
Windows washer question!!
by The Nightingale / January 15, 2006 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: Well,....

Thank you for all your advice.

I think I'll try windows washer, as I said

Collapse -
Ummm...
by Papa Echo / January 15, 2006 6:23 AM PST

If the questions are directed to me, then sorry, I just do not know. I am not familar with those programs. As I have mentioned before, I am sure that those programs are not created for what you have in mind.

Collapse -
Shredder/Eraser
by newislpearl / January 15, 2006 6:48 AM PST
Collapse -
Check out Acronis
by datalookup / January 15, 2006 8:06 AM PST

They have a utility that takes care of Internet content with several different algorithms to securely erase all traces of Internet content.

Collapse -
Acronis!!
by The Nightingale / January 15, 2006 9:14 PM PST
In reply to: Check out Acronis

Thank for posting.

What's Acronis??

By the way someone said there is a way of stopping temp internet files/history from entering your browser in the first place, but how??

I have my history set to 0 however, it still collects in the history folder??

I have AOL, not sure whether that makes any difference!

Collapse -
Just bumping up the thread!!
by The Nightingale / January 16, 2006 1:05 PM PST

Just bumping up the thread to see if anyone can answer my last few questions!

Collapse -
Sorry...
by The Nightingale / January 17, 2006 10:53 AM PST

Sorry to bother people again.

I've tried to download the free trial of windows washer however, I've had a slight problem. Download manager was downloaded instead, it then went on to install filesheild, which in turn lead to a document which was trying to get me to sign up/subscribe to permission research! Now I have download manager installed if I go back to the windows washer website and download ww again then will that work?

Sorry if my post seems confusing, I really appreciate the help people have given me so far.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) They are trying to get your money !
by Papa Echo / January 17, 2006 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry...
Collapse -
No problem...
by John.Wilkinson / January 17, 2006 11:48 AM PST

Here's the answers to your questions:

* Acronis is a well-known company that makes software to backup your system, as well as delete your tracks, for both the home and enterprise users. You can access their website by clicking here. To my knowledge the only erasing software they offer wipes the entire drive clean (what you'd want to do before getting rid of it), but I may have missed something.

* There is no way of preventing data from every going into history. Setting the # of days should delete the history when you close the browser, but it's not securely erased. As far as temp files go, if they were never saved you'd never be able to visit most websites, as all of the graphics and misc data is stored to your computer. (It must be downloaded temporarily for you to see it, as it's not truly streaming content.) Thus, if you wish to completely cover your tracks, you need a privacy cleaner that will overwrite the files several times.

* Where did you try to download Window Washer from? Download manager, Fileshield, research, oh my! Just click here to download the free trial directly. (Note: The download will start when you click on the link.) With any luck you won't be transported to another universe again. Happy

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Check out Ccleaner at downloads.com
by golfsalot / January 19, 2006 7:26 PM PST

Good little program for cleaning out junk.

Collapse -
INTERNET ERASER
by epd1999 / January 19, 2006 8:47 PM PST

I USE ABSOLUTESHIELD ERASER PRO.....I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH IT . I WOULD RECOMMENT THAT.

Collapse -
I'd stick to regular internet security measures
by GO / January 20, 2006 6:20 AM PST

IMHO sticking to the regular security measures is the best policy. Just like in real life if you do not want to get hurt don't take any risks! But you cannot take extreme measures to protect yourself for then most likely your time will be spent on protecting yourself not focusing on the tasks at hand (whatever your activities are). Using many special erasing programs will act as incriminating evidence which will result in further investigation. If someone does not have a good reason to investigate, unless they are paranoid, they will not. Another thing to remember is that obvious things are hard to find :).
Use the regular security measures that protect you from malicious intrusion activities logging through the Internet i.e.
1. A router - this protects you from people who may target your computer from the outside (for surveillance purposes).
2. A good anti virus program, updated firewall and anti-spyware program - this protects you from a range of key and activity loggers (which may be logged onto your computer, if the interested party has access to your computer, or sent via e-mail, open ports etc.). There are numerous free firewall programs, Antivirus programs (For my personal use I use AVG as it is free and I had some good experience with it) and anti-spyware programs( To name two free ones Sbybot and SpywareBlaster)
3. Using an updated Internet browser. I like using firefox for its ability to erase all your personal and browsing information if you set it up properly. You can back it up by using the free Internet eraser program which is claimed to exceed the US Department of Defense DOD 5220.22-M and NSA clearing and sanitizing standard.
4. Using regularly some software that takes care of system cleanup. CCleaner is a nice and spyware free program that does just that. It erases temp files, browser caches, browsing history and may fix your registry on the way.
5. Of course there are some really good free file erasing programs for files you really want to erase. Eraser is such a program which claims "to completely remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns".
6. Clear your Most Recently Used (MRU) programs and files which may give some indication to the way you use your computer and which files were accessed.
7. Last but not least is COMMON SENSE!

I use those measures to get a reasonable amount of protection from malicious people on the net with bad intentions. I think they can apply to your case too. The best part of all is that most of the measures listed can cost you nothing.

Collapse -
CyberScrub
by leighbee / January 19, 2006 6:52 PM PST
Collapse -
Internet Eraser
by barrywilson / January 19, 2006 7:15 PM PST

You might try this program. The free download works good but the other works great, have been using for months. Has way to erase whatever and also can be set to overwrite however many times you designate.

Collapse -
try what program
by wolfsaver47 / June 29, 2006 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Internet Eraser

try what,this is a problem,you say try this one but leave no link to (this one} please post link for though's of us that skim,

Collapse -
Internet Eraser
by barrywilson / January 19, 2006 7:18 PM PST
Collapse -
Norton 'Wipe Info' or 'Bute and Nuke'
by skycatcher / January 19, 2006 8:37 PM PST

For just a few files, Norton Wipe Info (in Norton Utilities) can do Government standard wipes but it takes at least 8 wipes to make a good job.

If you ever want to wipe a whole HDD put Boot and Nuke onto a CD, boot to the CD and do a military standard wipe. Let it run over-night, it takes a while to do a good job. Boot and Nuke comes as an .iso image so you'll have to use your burner to transfer it to the CD. I believe that there is also a floppy disc version.

Collapse -
CCleaner
by vfw / January 19, 2006 8:58 PM PST

Try CCleaner, it works great!

Collapse -
Internet Shredder
by raybromley / January 19, 2006 9:49 PM PST

I use Evidence Blaster and it is brilliant. You can decide on what you want removed and when, daily, when you log on or off, whatever you require. It cost me about AUD$25.00. It is super cheap and very effective. This is the web address.
http://www.evidence-blaster.com/privacy/

They also have another brilliant piece of software called File Saver. With this software you can recover deleted files on your hard drive, or, more importantly you can permanently remove the recovered files. From memory this cost about AUD$15.00 and the CD was shipped to Australia from the UK.
Regards and good luck

Collapse -
BC Wipe
by MicroFace / January 20, 2006 12:13 AM PST

This is nagware, but it is very useful for Windows and works just great.
It even tries to wipe the pagefile, and can cause all sorts of havoc on a system, so use it with care.

Collapse -
internet tracks
by wcoffey81 / January 20, 2006 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: BC Wipe

the program X-CLEANER has worked well for me in the past. i use the free version and it still does a good job of wiping out tracks. i'm sure the pay one will do everything you want to get done and probably more. spywareinfo has a list of several programs that will get the job done

Collapse -
How does a program that cost $39 sound?
by Jmaxxz / January 20, 2006 2:11 AM PST

Not to sound like a broken record (just came from the norton root kit thread) but I reccomend Kaspersky system mechanic. It has a file shredded, will even search your computer for things that you deleted, pull up the file information, and then you can shred it. (or restore it)

On top of that it has an awesome firewall and will do anti virus for you!

But you are interested in shredding so here is another perk you will get with this program. You can install something called the incinerator, it sits on your desktop like the recycling bin, but it shredds what you put in it. You can adjust how well you want it to shred stuff too.

Collapse -
reg shredder
by usharaopula / January 20, 2006 2:24 AM PST

I use a freeware called EZ Cleaner By Toni arts-google it
Try this before you buy expensive stuff. I have tried it and it works fine-maybe you need something better-just try this

Collapse -
Two different problems...
by Jslama69 / January 20, 2006 2:50 AM PST

Problem # 1 - www erasure : the only Only ONLY way to be sure IE data is purged it to get all it's temp data onto a RAM disk. Google for how-to. Firefox is kinder / gentler, it's temp files can be "deleted", then see #2.

Problem # 2 - local files : the only (etc.) way is to use an app that supports 35-step Gutmann, e.g. Radsoft ShredPerfect or E3.

Collapse -
Shredder program
by Stretch2177 / January 20, 2006 3:08 AM PST

You might check out Stenagos Shredder it was part of a security package that I downloaded from the net. The cost was approx 29.95$ it also included a program called Internet Trace Destructor. The shredder imbeded itself so that when right clicking on a file a destroy option was added. Works very well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.