Camcorders

Resolved Question

Looking for a recommendation to make training videos

by jcrump55 / March 22, 2013 6:22 AM PDT

I'm sorry to annoy you experienced users with a really newbie question. I am greener than green, but I need to make training videos of product demonstrations. I will edit in PowerPoint slides where appropriate. Final product will be mp4 uploaded to training server. I don't NEED HD but I might in the future, so I think it would make sense to get it now.

Needs are:
Video format compatible with Cyberlink PowerDirector editor
Hotel meeting rooms, florescent lights
Often hand held
Accessory shoe for accessory mic to pick up un-amplified speaking voice
Under $1000 for entire kit including extra batteries, chargers, mic, any lighting.
Might need to record up to 8 hours in a day in 1.5 hour segments

I know I'm asking for a lot for little money but would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks for your help.
Jeff
I looked for threads relating to this application, but couldn't find anything. If this question has been answered many times, my apologies. Maybe a link to those threads would help.

jcrump55 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a recommendation to make training videos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a recommendation to make training videos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by jcrump55

Collapse -
Not an annoyance.
by boya84 / March 23, 2013 6:18 AM PDT

We all started somewhere. It is merely your turn.

I agree with most of what terfyn said... and add some:

We don't know which version CyberDirector - assuming it is relatively new, you should be OK. Worst case is there is a "transcoding step to get the video into a format your editor will deal with.

Some hotel rooms use incandescent... bottom line, whichever camcorder you end up with, learn to use the "white balance" feature in the camcorder.

Try as hard as you can to NOT capture handheld. If a tripod is not available, at least use a shoulder-mount steadying device. I am not a fan of these
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/884805-REG/revo_sr_1000_shoulder_support_rig.html
but they are better than handheld.

An accessory shoe can be added if one is not on the camcorder you get:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734090-REG/Vello_CB_500_CB_500_Dual_Shoe_Bracket.html
Two accessory shoes - one for video light; one for audio wireless receiver. Has a standard 1/4" tripod mounting screw hole, too.

"External mic" cam mean lots of things. Generally wired vs wireless. In your situation and budget, one of these
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68061-REG/Audio_Technica_W88_68_830_Pro_88W_Camera.html

Optional high capacity batteries from the camcorder manufacturer...

Several high capacity SDHC cards.

Lighting? You are making this difficult...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/814471-REG/Vidpro_K_120_K_120_LED_Video_Light.html
but it won't last for 8 hours.

On your $1,000, we just spent about $500. That leaves $500 for the camcorder. Something in the Canon HF M series... has a 1/8" (3.5mm) mic jack, manual audio gain control, and probably the largest lens diameter and single imaging chip available.

Collapse -
Answer
Training videos
by Terfyn / March 22, 2013 8:33 AM PDT

I hope I can help on some points.

Video recording conforms to generic formats and, providing you don't switch your camera to something odd, should work with any editor. Most new cameras do HD now so stay with HD. Again most editors will burn a DVD in SD from an HD source.

No point in fixing an accessory mic to the camera, the camera mics will do equally as good a job. Every point in having a mic located close to the interviewee (say on a table) and plugged into the mic socket of your camera.

If you want extra lighting, go for the new LED lights. Low power consumption, battery driven, cool output and can have colour gels fitted. Two with 100+ LEDs should do the trick. (Serious photographers will hate this suggestion!)

I don't expect your subjects will survive 1.5 hours of interview without a break and your audience certainly will not. Expect to stop and start. Your batteries won't survive either so run the camera from a mains supply.

For interest, my set up is a Panasonic HC-V700 camcorder and VideoStudio Pro editing suite.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.