Phones

Question

Looking for a non smartphone world capable

by niavlysehgf / April 3, 2013 3:57 AM PDT

Hello folks,

I'm looking for a solid phone, with decent battery.
I love the Kyocera DuraPro on paper but it's carier locked, and not world capable so there is no point.

I don't use the camera or mp3.

I only need to call, send texts messages, connect to 3g and bluetooth tethering. (to share the connection with my laptop when I travel)
And of course I'd love to see it working everywhere.

So I you have any suggestion it will be really apreciated.

Thank you in advance :).
Cheers.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a non smartphone world capable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a non smartphone world capable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So far you need a smart phone to tether.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 4:03 AM PDT

I looked the DuraPro specs and didn't find a tether option so my guess is you want this, but it's not made?
Bob

Collapse -
no need for a smart phone to tether :)
by niavlysehgf / April 3, 2013 4:05 AM PDT

You can tether via bleutooth, there is a DUN mode.

Collapse -
So few models have DUN
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 4:10 AM PDT

I wish you would have written DUN instead. One is very unlike the other. We tried DUN over cellular over a decade ago and rarely exceeded 9600 baud. Data over cellular is far better than that but now that you cleared that up and you only need DUN I think the list is so short it's going to be a miracle to find this. Let's hope.
Bob

Collapse -
mistake
by niavlysehgf / April 3, 2013 4:11 AM PDT

Actually I don't know if you really need a specific mode to to it. Could be just via bluetooth.
I've read that on life hacker. It is supposed to save more bateries than using wifi.
I my case it's just more practical.

Collapse -
When I tether I use USB most of the time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: mistake

That way it charges my phone battery and I don't inadvertently share my internet connection.
Bob

Collapse -
yes but
by niavlysehgf / April 3, 2013 4:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
or this one
by niavlysehgf / April 3, 2013 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: yes but
Collapse -
Can't find how to get an internet connection with this one
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: or this one

To your laptop or tablet. Sorry but let's hope someone knows of such a model. I'm just an electronics designer that is involved with some cellular designs and as such have some exposure to this area.

Try this. Go to the usual ATT and such of this world and ask for what they have in a non-smartphone that can tether or DUN. The models they offer should be maybe just the one or maybe none today.
Bob

Collapse -
" Good phone for someone who doesn't need Data "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: yes but

I looked at the specs and no data connection. Sure it can transfer date via the Ovi suite but that's not what most folk want as in an internet connection.

I've been to the cellular trade shows and have not found a non-smartphone that would give wifi or bluetooth tethering. You mentioned DUN but the DUN we used only worked on Apple/Windows laptops so unless you found something new, you are likely going to be disappointed.
Bob

Collapse -
by the way
by niavlysehgf / April 3, 2013 4:50 AM PDT

Thanks for your answers :).

Collapse -
Save yourself the pain
by Pepe7 / April 3, 2013 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: mistake

Just pick up a basic smartphone for ~$100. Tethering over bluetooth over an EDGE connection (what you would be limited to in the phones you've suggested) is for the birds. An Android powered model with wifi might be easier since there are more ways to do what you need them to do, sometimes built in even w/ no custom ROMs or hacking. That said, keep in mind that you have to make sure your various carriers allow you to do this, using local SIMs/service, etc. You could check a site such as howardforums.com for more info on the specifics if you know where you'll be using it.

I would shoot for a model that had 900/2100 UMTS and wifi if possible to provide you with more flexibility. Models with more UMTS frequency bands will drive the price up quickly.

FWIW though, the following $100 Samsung (an entry level Android device) would probably be enough for travels through Europe/Asia/Africa/Australia.
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_y_s5360-4117.php

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Y-GALAXY-S-5360-Phone/dp/tech-data/B0068PQZFK/ref=de_a_smtd

Check howardforums to see what others have had luck with abroad.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.