Phones

General discussion

Looking for a new cellphone on Sprint...

by JAROAM / May 31, 2013 5:19 AM PDT

My contract is up on the Sprint network. One of the good and bad things about Sprint is the lack of selection. Right now, there're really only two options in my eyes, however, I was thinking maybe something else. Any ideas on a great cellphone that'll work on the Sprint network that's not exactly "sold in stores" or maybe unlocked? Something, anything.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a new cellphone on Sprint...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a new cellphone on Sprint...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nope, not AFAIK
by Pepe7 / May 31, 2013 2:47 PM PDT

AFAIK they don't allow non-Sprint branded phones on their network, AFAIK. Nor are their handsets 'unlocked' in the same sense as GSM phones are. The carrier (in their case) controls who/what they let on their network.

To be honest though, actually answering your question it tough in any case since you fail to say what sort of 'cellphone' <ahem> exactly meets your specifications(?)

Collapse -
Acronyms...
by JAROAM / May 31, 2013 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope, not AFAIK

Um, excuse my ignorance, AFAIK? I suppose they wouldn't be unlocked in the same snese. Oh, and I'll be coming off a Samsung Galaxy S2 so I'd be looking for something in that realm.

Collapse -
AFAIK
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 31, 2013 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Acronyms...

= As Far As I Know.

Pepe7's response was right on track. If Sprint doesn't sell the phone now or previously, you can't activate a non branded device on their network.

Collapse -
Sprint sort of solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2013 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Acronyms...

Here in my town we have Cricket booths with signs "We flash phones." So if you have a CDMA phone you come in and they'll put it on the https://www.google.com/search?as_q=cricket+sprint network.

I can't guess why you asked your question but it it must be on a Sprint network, check out the MVNOs.
Bob

Collapse -
More...
by JAROAM / June 1, 2013 2:42 AM PDT

Just looking for something a little more exciting, less yawn. Never had a problem with Sprint but their choices of handsets, at least at this point, are lacking.

Well then, SG4 vs. HTC One. I just can't buy into the Beats Audio gimmick, I'd use the front facing stereo speakers very little, and the speaker grills are annoying. SG4 it is then!

Guess I could always wait.

Collapse -
Beats audio is just a sideline gig
by Pepe7 / June 1, 2013 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: More...

The HTC One is a very nice rig, regardless.

If you want good phone selection though, you need to switch with a bigger carrier. Part of the premium as such goes toward a more robust network, the other part most certainly goes toward the extra cost of offering a greater selection of handsets.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.