PC Hardware forum

Looking for a graphics card to upgrade in the future

by minixmatt / December 28, 2012 1:45 PM PST

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could prepare and know which graphics card I should upgrade to. I don't really mind which brand though I would think to stick with ATI. Also please find graphics cards that are under the range of about $350. Thanks!

Graphics Card (Not really needed) : ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Chip Type : AMD Radeon Graphics Processor

Processor : Intel Core i7-2600 CPU 3.40GHz

Ram : 8.2gb

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a graphics card to upgrade in the future
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a graphics card to upgrade in the future
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Not sure how to edit last post
by minixmatt / December 28, 2012 1:54 PM PST
Collapse -
Always check THE LIST. Link follows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 2:38 PM PST
Collapse -
How would I
by minixmatt / December 28, 2012 2:42 PM PST

How would I find out if my case was normal sized and my power supply? would I need to open my computer for the power supply? Also that link I gave with the full thing to my computer says "Chassis Type : Microtower" so would that be considered normal size?

Collapse -
I've always had to open the case to check the ratings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 2:46 PM PST
In reply to: How would I

Since I can't chance it, I always look. Since we're inside the case every 6 months to keep it clean, it's just another thing to read while we're inside.

As to the case size, it wasn't clear to me so you can take measurements to see if a full size card fits and if there is a heat issue you can always cut a big hole in the case or leave a cover off.

Collapse -
Found my card
by minixmatt / December 29, 2012 2:29 AM PST
Collapse -
Fixed link
by minixmatt / December 29, 2012 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: Found my card
Collapse -
About the power supply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2012 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: Fixed link

Here's how I figure that out.

I get the Watts off the old supply and if it's the usual under 500 we take that number then add double the Watts the new card will draw.

Reviews seem to write about 112 Watts so we double that and add that to your current PSU.

Now find a PSU with a Single 12V rail unless you are adept at figuring out Amperes.

Collapse -
I don't really understand
by minixmatt / December 29, 2012 3:10 AM PST

I'm not great with computers and don't really understand what your saying. But maybe I could give you some of the info you need and you can help me?

Collapse -
Asked on another forum
by minixmatt / December 29, 2012 4:17 AM PST
Collapse -
Looks nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2012 10:51 AM PST
In reply to: Asked on another forum

+12V1@25A, +12V2@25A however shows it's a dual rail supply. You've told me enough that you want a single rail to avoid all those other questions.

Collapse -
Some new info
by minixmatt / December 29, 2012 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: Looks nice.

I found some more info about my graphics card it is the HD 5770 and requires 450 watts to run, I have 460 watts in my computer and the GTX 660 (the one I want) takes the same amount as HD 5770.

Collapse -
That's Watts. Now what about AMPERES?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2012 2:53 PM PST
In reply to: Some new info

You're also falling into the trap of the just big enough PSU. So we have a few issues to cover.

Are you going to exceed any PSU RAIL? (that's in Amperes, not Watts most of the time)

How old is the PSU. I ding the spec by 25% per year of age for the first 2 years.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.