Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Looking for a good Windows Registry Cleaner

by skyemacm / January 2, 2006 11:34 PM PST

I consider myself a Registry novice, though I have played a little in the Windows Registry. I am looking for a "safe" Registry cleaner which will leave little to no room for error when cleaning up the Registry. Have been looking into Registry Mechanic by PC Tools and the reviews I have found have been good. Someone suggested I get System Mechanic as it will be a whole lot more then Registry Mechanic, but the reviews I have found have not been that favorable for System Mechanic.

Does anyone have a recommendation for either of these software packages or is there another software package you recommend for a novice?

Will use on pcs with Windows ME and Windows XP.

Thanks for your comments.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a good Windows Registry Cleaner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a good Windows Registry Cleaner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tweaknow
by phil66 / January 3, 2006 2:29 AM PST
Collapse -
TweakNow RegCleaner Pro
by carstereos / January 7, 2006 3:37 PM PST
In reply to: Tweaknow

Easy to use, 2 easy functions are included. cleans the reg and defrags it

Collapse -
tweaknow
by ryhmetime / January 20, 2006 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Tweaknow

There is a problem if you want to set a restore point and would not risk having the program.

Collapse -
Here is one I use.
by Larry38 / January 3, 2006 6:02 AM PST

It is CCleaner, very easy to use and great for a novice.
It also makes a registry backup. I always let it fix what it finds, and have never needed the backup. It also has a very good tutorial on how to use it. Here is a link, you can read about it and see what you think.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Hope this will help.
Larry

Collapse -
I use CCleaner as well
by zysmith / January 5, 2006 10:29 PM PST
In reply to: Here is one I use.

It is a great tool. I have used it on Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 and Windows XP with nary a problem. And you can't beat the price...Free!

Collapse -
A WORD OF CAUTION
by Kid A / January 18, 2006 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: Here is one I use.

I have used both TweakNow RegCleaner and CCleaner, and would recommend both utilities. However, keep in mind that once you run any software designed to clean the Windows registry, System Restore will probably be unable to restore your computer to restore points created prior to the "cleaning."

Windows XP's System Restore utility essentially takes a snapshot of your registry. If System Restore is unable to find all registry entries of a given restore point while attempting a restoration, the process will stop and you will be informed that your computer was unable to be restored to the date/point in question. You might encounter the same issue when uninstalling software, too.

A good approach is to use a registry cleaner judiciously - say, every few weeks or once a month as opposed to daily or weekly, and never immediately after installing or updating software. Once your registry is "cleaned" and everything seems to work fine, create a new restore point. This would be your safety net in case you need to use System Restore before the next time you run your registry cleaner and/or your PC automatically creates a restore point for you.

You can also play it safe by making sure your cleaner backs up your registry before "cleaning" anything. Then, if you need to restore your computer to an earlier time but System Restore informs you that it is unable to do so, restore the old registry first. This would be more of a work-around than a perfect solution (because you might lose other desirable registry changes resulting from software updates and patches), but it should work. You'd be better off with the approach mentioned in the preceding paragraph, though.

Collapse -
RegSeeker
by Ken Deyell / January 3, 2006 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Registry cleaners

Tomron....I am always on the lookout for a good registry cleaner,but I note that the RegSeeker is still in beta form (if I have read it correctly).It is assuring that you have found no problems with it.

Collapse -
Ken
by tomron / January 4, 2006 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: RegSeeker

Yes,it is beta

I've never had any problems

It's straight foward without all the fluff

And yes,it backsup

Collapse -
RegSeeker 1.45 is not Beta...
by Blue_Zee / January 4, 2006 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Ken

But that was never a problem for me.

Zee

Collapse -
Maybe i am too cautious
by Ken Deyell / January 4, 2006 6:51 AM PST

Zee....this is what threw me off
DOWNLOAD RegSeeker 1.45 beta (21 languages included !) RegSeeker.zip (344 KB)

Note : If after a cleanup, your Add/Remove control panel doesn't work (release 1.05RC3), just download this reg file and merge it into your registry

Click here to download (FixAddRemove.reg)

Collapse -
At least
by Blue_Zee / January 4, 2006 7:14 AM PST

They know the registry cleaners (any!) can be dangerous and provide a solution to a known problem.

Others avoid mentioning that ''issue'' and the users are left to find a solution by themselves.

But, again, that is common to any registry cleaner and that is why I always suggest to backup the registry before cleaning.

I must also make it clear that I avoid them, because even the best, and RegSeeker is one of them, can go wrong.

Zee

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My ver: 1.35 is beta,don't know anything about 1.45
by tomron / January 4, 2006 8:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Ver. 1.45 is also Beta...
by glenn30 / January 5, 2006 1:16 AM PST

According to their website download link in middle of the page. Having said that I have used this beta software for some time now and on a frequent basis... never had a problem. It does make a backup which can be restored... never once had to use it!

My experience is good.

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glenn,I guess 1.45 is the latest version
by tomron / January 5, 2006 6:00 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tomron, it is the latest version :)
by glenn30 / January 5, 2006 9:31 AM PST
Collapse -
recovering from regseeker
by rome78 / May 16, 2006 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Ken

I am running windows XP home ed. and used this tool to take out unwanted registry extensions, however now I cant install pdf. or antivirus files, as of current tries. I have tried to use the backup files created and the first one tells me that the system is using some files and not all files can be restored back because of this reason. After restoring I still can not install new programs because certain HKEY files are missing. Any suggestions available. Also this is a gateway computer and I think windows is "embedded" if I am understanding that terminology correctly. I don't have the disks that came with this computer - inherited - and I was trying to get it setup for us and cutting all the fat, but now I am worried I have done more damage than help.

Collapse -
Restoring the Registry
by ddealer27 / May 17, 2006 12:29 AM PDT

Start your computer in Safe Mode and then try restoring the Registry File backup. Also I assume that you have already tried using the Windows Restore Feature.

Some of the computer manufacturers do put propriety software on the drives however it is still possible to reinstall XP and retain you programs.

Your best bet is to find a friend that knows their way around XP to help you out.

In the future never buy any software from a company that will not give you a fully functional trial version. A Reg Cleaner that will only let you correct 5 to 15 entries in the trial version is only going to fix the safe entries, so you have no real idea if it will crash you system or not. You should always do your own registry backup before running any of these programs.

JV16 Power Tool is an excellent choice however you will need to read the manual before using any of the features. You should also check out Diskeeper for your Defrag Utility if you want to keep your system up to speed.

Collapse -
I found this one handy...
by Willy / January 4, 2006 12:39 AM PST

I use "Windows Registry Repair Pro", its trialware but then becomes nagware. It does what it suppose to do for free but at reduced items repair of the "items found", of course if you like it then buy it. Its a straightfoward pgm. w/o confusing decisions to make it, though you can proceed into a more aggressive mode. So, if you found say, 40 items to repair, after the trial period is over, it will repair 15 items. Re-run it again to reduce the remaining items. Heck, its free and does what it does w/o playing games as some "freebie reg. cleaners" seem to do.
Always back-up or at least do a "new restore point" refernce.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
RE: Registry Mechanic by PC Tools
by caktus / January 4, 2006 3:08 PM PST

Been using Registry Mechanic Pro for some time with success. Simple and safely cleans/repairs invalid Windsows registry entries and compacts the registry. Also maintains backups of all changes it makes.The latest v5.1 is much faster and does a more indepth cleaning than previous versions.

The free Trial version doesn't do much, but the Pro version does it all. For the $29.95 it provides updates and upgrades for a year. But will probably be worth it's weight far beyound the first year unless you upgrade to the Vista OS when it comes out (but even then, who knows). And the ULA permits traveling to other machines as long as previous installations are uninstalled.

Of course any customizations to the registry must be accomplished manually.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
registry cleaner
by jjob / January 6, 2006 2:34 AM PST

i have benn using registry cleaner for 2 years, it is great in my opinion. the newest edition is ver. 5.1
it is 29.95 ,you get auto updates, and is very easy to use.try a 30 day fre trial and see for yourself.go to registry mechanic PC TOOLS.

Collapse -
Why?
by aliensquirl / January 6, 2006 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: registry cleaner

My computers have run will little or no problems for decades and I have never used a registry cleaner. I think it is a waste of money.

I question how you would know if a registry cleaner program is working correctly.

Collapse -
Re: Why
by rmblue2 / January 6, 2006 2:08 PM PST
In reply to: Why?

There are hundreds of reasons why you should use a registry cleaner! There are constantly invalid file paths, invalid software entries, Browser cache, along with all these:
http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=registry3ei.jpg

After a short period of time these excess invalid registry entries buld up in your operating system and cause it to slow down, or even can freeze up your computer and cause it to crash.
The fact that you have never had a problem with your computer in "decades" as you say. Computers a decade ago would not even work with todays software or operating systems. So the fact that your decades old computer works at all, you would not even notice the difference anyway, and should put it in the Smithsonian insitute as the miricle computer of the Centry.

Collapse -
Interested
by Ken Deyell / January 6, 2006 8:22 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Why

Mblue2...seems like a bad "link" that you have listed.I can not open it.

Collapse -
Sorry for bad link!
by rmblue2 / January 7, 2006 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: Interested

Here is another one! If it don't work, try to copy and past into your browser, or type it in.! Good luck!

http://www.winaso.com/

Collapse -
Registry Cleaners will
by rmblue2 / January 7, 2006 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry for bad link!

Perform these vital functions!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thx. for the correction
by Ken Deyell / January 7, 2006 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry for bad link!
Collapse -
Re: Why
by aliensquirl / January 7, 2006 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Why

I clearly stated 'computers', not 'computer'. I presumed the worst of the simple minded would read it as such and not assume the use of one computer over the decades.

But your post was funny. Happy

Collapse -
I have to agree with the PC TOOLS REG. Cleaner
by lassean1 / January 8, 2006 2:55 AM PST
Collapse -
reg mech by pctools
by drbooth / January 13, 2006 2:26 PM PST

I have to agree with the opinion concerning rminstall as it has been an excellent program.. There are free programs that help including easycleaner by toniarts and ccleaner. To be perfectly honest, I use all three. Between the free ecleaner and ccleaner along with the registry mechanic pro (again 29.95), I end up with a very clean registry.. Ecleaner and ccleaner help with the registry a little but also really cleans up the internet trash that builds up whenever you log onto to various sites. Thirty bucks and two freebies have been a great help for my system. Have a good day.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.