Phones

Question

Looking for a good web browser for Android

by BrokenEye3 / June 18, 2013 11:29 AM PDT

Something that looks nice and focuses on stuff I actually can use like intuitive controls, speed, and security instead of useless bullcrap that just gets in the way and invades your privacy and that nobody but the reviewers actually care about like gestures, Facebook integration, and the quote-unquote "almighty cloud"

"Speed dial" and "cloud bookmarks" are definitely deal-breakers unless I can disable them

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a good web browser for Android
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a good web browser for Android
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2013 11:32 AM PDT

I've been using the Chrome one on the Nexus. What am I missing here?

Collapse -
Please clarify
by BrokenEye3 / June 18, 2013 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd.

What do you mean what are you missing?

Collapse -
How would I know?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Please clarify

Since I don't know what I'm missing, can you clear up what I missed?
Bob

Collapse -
Er...
by BrokenEye3 / June 21, 2013 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: How would I know?

Well... uh... is there any particular part of the OP that you're finding especially confusing?

Collapse -
Your post below clears it up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Er...

I found the controls on Android to be what you wrote about below. However it's not a Windows PC and there is no efforts to duplicate what we had back then.

Chrome seems fine to me so unless you tell me what you didn't like I can't discuss it.

But as this is a smaller platform and the user interface did change, all apps tend to use the same new ways.

Maybe you don't like this OS?

As to Facebook integration I looked again and didn't find it. Maybe I opted out at some point?
Bob

Collapse -
Just to clarify further...
by BrokenEye3 / June 22, 2013 8:19 AM PDT

I don't want it to duplicate the controls on the PC. That would just be silly, especially (but not exclusively) because Chromes controls on the PC are also rather counter-intuitive. I want the controls to be intuitive for a smartphone. And they really aren't.

I'm not aware of it having Facebook integration either. That was just an example of the useless frills I don't like. It does have cloud bookmarks, though. And on top of my complaints about those below, Google is the last company (that I know of) that I'd want to trust my cloud-stuff to, seeing as how they have few qualms about selling my personal info to the highest bidder (which is usually an advertiser, and I don't like those ******** either).

My philosophy about internet security is: Just because my car isn't worth stealing doesn't mean I should leave it unlocked with the keys in the ignition in the wrong part of town.

Collapse -
I'm not aware of it having Facebook integration either.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 8:22 AM PDT

Sorry but I went looking for this because you mentioned it. I came up empty handed.

I don't mind checking out stuff like this since the office is porting apps and it gives me access to more devices than the average Joe/Jane.

My install does not have cloud bookmarks because I answered no.

Well, at least I can stop asking and looking for that Facebook item now. In the future please don't do that.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I've been happy with Maxathon browser
by wpgwpg / June 18, 2013 11:39 AM PDT

I downloaded the Maxathon browser from Amazon. It works fine for me.

Collapse -
I don't know...
by BrokenEye3 / June 18, 2013 2:11 PM PDT

I don't know. I'm looking at it now and it seems to be awfully focused on cloud "services". Can those be disabled?

Collapse -
Absoultely not
by BrokenEye3 / June 18, 2013 2:19 PM PDT

A browser that exists entirely on the cloud??? Absolutely not. Not now, not ever. Please re-read my original post.

Collapse -
Answer
best android browser
by Olly_Oxenfree / June 21, 2013 12:36 PM PDT

I would recommend chrome.

Collapse -
Tried it
by BrokenEye3 / June 21, 2013 5:53 PM PDT
In reply to: best android browser

Tried Chrome. Controls seem to be deliberately counter-intuitive, and please read what I said about cloud bookmarks being a deal breaker.

Collapse -
What happens when you don't sign in?
by Pepe7 / June 21, 2013 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried it

Doesn't Chrome still provide you with an opportunity to bookmark on item on your Android powered handset?

Collapse -
Chrome Browser
by wapppictures / June 18, 2015 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: best android browser

Is that browser support with my Samsung Galaxy S5670 mobile model? It will allows me for rapid browsing.

Collapse -
Answer
For the record...
by BrokenEye3 / June 21, 2013 5:55 PM PDT

Believe me guys, I wouldn't be asking online if I hadn't already tried all the obvious choices (that I know of) and been sorely disappointed by them.

Collapse -
It's cloud time.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 7:20 PM PDT
In reply to: For the record...

Can you explain your objections about using it for bookmarks? And against Facebook integration? I think you're able to browse without using it.

Kees

Collapse -
Yes
by Pepe7 / June 21, 2013 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: It's cloud time.

I'm fairly certain you can browse w/o using it.

Collapse -
Security
by BrokenEye3 / June 22, 2013 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: It's cloud time.

My main objection to cloud bookmarks is that I cannot turn them off, even if I'm not even using the same browser on another platform. I do not need them. I do not want them. But I'm being forced to use it anyway, and thus taking a needless and pointless privacy risk by storing something on an unsecure internet server that just as easily could have been stored on my device just for a "feature" that I have no use for and never wanted in the first place. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Facebook integration just gets in the way, unless you actually use it which is something I have no desire to ever do. Facebook integration isn't a deal breaker though. I just don't like it.

And both of these are time, effort, money, and code that could have been spent making the browser faster, more intuitive, more secure, and just generally better that has instead been wasted on useless frills that are ultimately just going to sit there taking up space.

Collapse -
Let me pull up chrome on my phone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Security

Cloud bookmarks? No.
Facebook showing anywhere? No.

Sorry but I'm missing why these items are appearing at all for you. I answered no and it's working for me without your concerns.

There is a FireFox beta browser but I can't see loading up another browser when the 3 I have on this phone are doing fine.

Bob.

PS. The office is porting Android apps so I have access at almost all times to a dozen Android things. I wish I was seeing what you were seeing.

Collapse -
Speed Dial
by BrokenEye3 / June 22, 2013 8:25 AM PDT

Is there a way to disable the Speed Dial screen on Firefox?

I love Firefox on the computer, and have no practical concerns about it on the phone, but I really hate the Speed Dial screen. If only it didn't have that, or there were a way to disable it, Firefox would be perfect-ish. But I've searched through the settings and the add-ons and can't find anything for it.

Collapse -
To that, yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Speed Dial

The Firefox is open source and folk can modify it to their own wishes.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay, but
by BrokenEye3 / June 25, 2013 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: To that, yes.

Yeah, that's all well and good if you can code, but I can't.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.