Cameras forum

General discussion

Looking for a good point-n-shoot camera

by strcrazy / May 28, 2008 3:43 AM PDT

I'm somewhat tech savvy, but, have not shopped for a digital camera since my Canon S400. Hopefully, you all can help. I'm looking for a point-n-click, about 8-10MP, Image Stabilizer, decent sized LCD, takes good pictures, and, is as compact as possible (traveling overseas). I've spoken to many people and everyone says something different. First it was the Sony T300, then the Canon 1100, then the Canon 950, then the Nikon S600. I heard the Sony T300 has great options, but, takes awful pictures. The Nikon is good and compact, but, the LCD and pictures are only decent. I'm confused. I' willing to spend up to $350 (maybe$400) as long as I don't have to worry about it becoming archaic in 2 years. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a good point-n-shoot camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a good point-n-shoot camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the problem

This time of year, many people are still waiting on reviews of the cameras that have just came out. There are a few, but many more on the way. If it was me, I would go with the Canon digital Elphs. I have not seen a bad, below average, or average review of the Elphs. Sony makes some really good ultra-compact cameras, but they have had some flops also. The SD850IS did a very good job in the review I read.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd850is/page12.asp

Collapse -
Canon
by damian5000 / May 28, 2008 8:33 PM PDT

I have the Canon A570 and I find it to be an awesome camera. You can stick it on auto or program mode and let 'er rip, but also has manual modes so you can grow with it too.

If you want something very small and ONLY point and shoot, the Canon Elph line of cameras is the way to go.

Collapse -
Re: Canon
by strcrazy / May 29, 2008 9:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon

Looks to be unanimous - Canon Elph it is. Thanks everyone.

Collapse -
Canon Powershot Model?
by strcrazy / May 30, 2008 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon

Now, my other question is, which Canon Powershot do I get? I'm currently eyeing the 870IS. Pretty small, 8MP, Image Stabilizer, 3" LCD, great resolution. Anyone have experience with this or any other Powershot model?

Collapse -
Canon SD870IS
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 30, 2008 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon Powershot Model?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.