Laptops

General discussion

Looking for a Good Gaming Laptop

by Kilim / June 7, 2005 12:08 PM PDT

So does anyone have any suggestion on what and where to get a decent Gaming Laptop?

So far I have a couple I have my eye on:
(below is with just the Base price.)

WidowPC: Sting 917- Base: $2,695 / Customized: $2,910
[list]I just read a few good reviews about this company.
Suppose to be better than Alienware in Customer Service and pricing.
Makes PC & Laptops specificly for Gaming.
Financing plan not as great as the other 'Brand names'

[list]
Sting 917 Gaming Laptop $2695.00 $2695.00
Weight: 12.00 lbs. each
Additional Shipping ($49.00)
Processor is Intel P4 530J 3.0Ghz LGA 775 1024KB L2 Cache with Hyper-Threading
Memory is 1GB - 2 x 512 MB 533Mhz PC4200 DDR2 $120.00 $120.00
Hard Drive Bay One is 60 GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 $65.00 $65.00
Hard Drive Bay Two is Not Selected
Hard Drive RAID Configuration is None Selected
Screen is 17 inch 1900 x 1200 WUXGA+ LCD, with ClearView SuperBrite Technology - BEST DETAIL
Video Card is ATI m28 x800 Mobility 256MB DDR3 PCI Express
Operating System is Microsoft Windows XP Home
TV Tuner is None Selected
Optical Drive is 8x24x10x24x DVD/CD-RW
Second Optical Drive is None Selected
Battery is Li-ION Long Life
Telephone Modem is Built In Fax Modem 56K v.90
Network Card is Built In Gigabit LAN Card
Wireless Network Card is Internal Wireless 802.11b/g 54 Mbps with Bluetooth $75.00 $75.00
Floppy Drive is External USB 3.5 inch 1.44 MB Floppy
Warranty is Widow PC One Year Parts and Labor
Advanced Cases is Deluxe Carrying Case with Shoulder Strap - FREE
Extra Battery is None Selected
USB Optical Mini Mouse is None Selected
Docking Port Replicator is None Selected
Additional AC Adapter is None Selected
Office Software is None Selected
Special Discount is None Selected
Total Shipment Weight: 12.00 lbs. Subtotal: $2955.00 [/list][/list]

Dell: XPS 2 - Base: $2349 / Customized: $2,737(AFTER $400 Mail-in rebate)
[list]Suppose to be the top of the line in multimedia and gaming.
Also have a financing plan.

[list]
Inspiron XPS Gen 2 Intel

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a Good Gaming Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a Good Gaming Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pent 4s are dead
by mobilePCpilot / June 8, 2005 1:30 AM PDT

Pent 4 and laptops don't mix. A lot of heat and absolutely no battery life. I had a Dell XPS Gen 1 (P4) with 2 batteries and would go through both in one hour of playing during my work breaks.

I now have a Dell XPS Gen 2 and still go through it's 1 battery in 1 hour of heavy gaming. But it is sooo much lighter, bigger, faster.

I haven't found anything that even comes close to the XPS Gen 2. It is so good that I'm getting rid of my desktop PC and desk. No need for them any more with wireless networks, etc.

Then _only_ thing I would change on the Gen 2 is the mouse buttons, which are loud.

And no I'm not in the PC industry.

Collapse -
Pentium 4
by damasta55r / June 8, 2005 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Pent 4s are dead

In encoding and everything, the Pentium M won't beat. About the only thing, the pentium M is good at is it's lightness. I would'nt get the pentium 4 or pentium M, but an athlon 64 in a notebook. It's very similar to the pentium 4 in power, but isn't as hot, nor heavy, but not as light as most pentium Ms. For a gaming notebook, i wouldn't even waste money, get a desktop and just run games in lower settings in a moderate notebook equipped with a pentium M. That way you can get a ultra-fast desktop, but a light, fast, and long endurance laptop that can play games at perhaps medium settings. I recommend building a good computer without lcd,keyboard/mouse,speakers for around $1300 and spending around the same $1300 on a Compaq R4000 with the AMD 4000+ for a sum total of $2600.
Roger

Collapse -
i wouldnt recomend AMD.
by 101Ares / June 20, 2005 9:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Pentium 4

i have one athlon machine and it never worked right. the speed is supior but the compatablity is par. yet sence this machine is 3-4years old it might have been the bad days for AMD. and about p4 verse pm, i like my p4 (3.2ghrz HT) notebook yet i woulnt dare put it on anything but a hard surface. where P-Ms run nicely too i have yet to do benchmarks but i would go for the gen 2.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I wonder if you have an Alienware?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2005 9:37 PM PDT
Collapse -
As a r3000 (AMD 64) owner...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2005 9:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Pentium 4

All I can write is that I'd buy it again.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.