PC Applications forum

General discussion

Looking for a FREE Image BACKUP Software for a Server

by d3vlabs / June 19, 2009 3:20 AM PDT

Im running a Windows 2003 Server and the NTBACKUP seems to be broken beyond repair. I was hoping to find a replacement in a form of another software. I have no budget as of right now, to be more precise I cant get any more money out of my boss on server needs.

This would be awesome:

Image-Backup to an ISO or similar format
Recovery CD, ability to restore an image from the boot up
Scheduled Backups
Would be nice to have ability for shadow copies as in backup of the files in use.

There are a quite few titles on freshmeat and download.com, unfortunately i wasnt able to find anything for free. Thanks for your input.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a FREE Image BACKUP Software for a Server
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a FREE Image BACKUP Software for a Server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do not like your chances of finding freeware
by Dick Humfrey / June 21, 2009 4:11 AM PDT

My searching to date would indicate most software that will image to ISO etc as you want tend to be retail software .

Collapse -
Most free software is for private use only.
by Kees Bakker / June 21, 2009 4:33 AM PDT

Not for businesses. See, for example, antivirus.

Let's see.
- Your boss needs a new car. He searches for a free one.
- Your boss needs gas for his new car. He searches for free gas.
- Your boss needs a new server. He searches for a free one.
- Your boss needs an OS for his new server. He searches for a free one. That's easy. Linux. Sorry, I read he paid for Windows. So he has some money.
- Your boss needs software for his Windows server. He searches for free programs.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
Free Backup Software
by Winne22 / August 3, 2009 3:48 PM PDT

I found a free backup software, EASEUS Todo Backup. It works with Windows Server 2003 and can backup to image. You can get info from
http://www.todo-backup.com/.

Collapse -
FREE Image BACKUP Software for a Server
by Winne22 / August 3, 2009 3:57 PM PDT

BTW, you get what you pay. The freeware may not satisfy all your needs as the comercial. After all, it is free.

Collapse -
free backup software
by hotbug123 / January 12, 2010 12:03 AM PST
Collapse -
RE: Looking for a FREE Image BACKUP Software for a Server
by cableinput / April 4, 2012 1:46 PM PDT

Have you ever heard of GFI backup freeware? GFI is used professionally due to its built-in VSS service. Backing up is faster and simpler because it has the capacity to volume shadow copy. You can also auto notify yourself after the backup. A reasonable choice for server imaging software considering its free.

Pros: Scheduled Backup. Backup to FTP, network drive, external drive. Unlimited backup size. Compressed / encrypted backup. True incremental backups.
Cons: does not do true remote backup via IP and does not run backup as service

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.