TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Looking for a DVD/Blu-ray player.

by AB96 / July 15, 2013 8:50 PM PDT

Guys, I'm looking for a DVD/Blu-Ray player with following configurations...
1. 5.1 Channel Surround Sound.
2. USB and HDMI/DVI Port.
3. Optical Audio Input.

I already have a LG Home Theater but the DVD player sucks and want to replace it as it doesn't even play MKV or MP4 videos.
Now, I own a Samsung SmartTV and its only Audio output is in Optical format, which disables me from enjoying my TV experience in 5.1.

SO, DO HELP!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a DVD/Blu-ray player.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a DVD/Blu-ray player.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
More information...
by Audioenggirl / July 15, 2013 11:44 PM PDT

Do you already have a 5.1 surround sound system? If so what are the pieces you have installed? Do you have a Receiver or are you looking to have the DVD player be the Surround sound system processor as well?
If you have a receiver already and are just looking to have an optical out to the receiver and a HDMI out to the TV I suggest the Integra 30.3 as it has all the outputs you may need. It also has one of the best Video processors on the market.

Audio Video Experience Inc.

Collapse -
Not possible.
by AB96 / July 16, 2013 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: More information...

Integra 30.3 isn't available in India. Can you recommend an alternative? If not, is there any e-commerce sites which has it and will ship it to India?

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Do you have a cable or satellite box too?
by Pepe7 / July 16, 2013 1:33 AM PDT

?

Collapse -
by AB96 / July 16, 2013 8:49 AM PDT

I have a HD STB.

Collapse -
OK. In that case, you are doing it wrong
by Pepe7 / July 16, 2013 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: ..

You ideally should not be sending audio output from the HDTV back to any audio system, with perhaps the exception of something you are streaming from one of the built in HDTV apps. Discounting that for now though, if you have an HD STB, then you should be connecting that to the receiver via an HDMI cable, or, HDMI to the Samsung, and either digital optical or digital coaxial to whatever AV receiver (or all-in-one Receiver/DVD/Blu Ray player unit) you choose.

My personal preference would be to buy separates. In other words, AV receiver & 5.1 speakers/sub. While the Integra model recommended is nice, it may be overkill for your needs. Although places like Amazon do ship to Asia, I would first look online in India to see who you can buy from locally and post back here some of the models you see there so we can recommend something specific from what you have in stock there. Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, Sony, Marantz would all suffice (among other AV receiver brands). If you really need to be able to play back MKV files though, look into a media streamer such as a WDTV live, or use a laptop/PC where you can guarantee/choose software that can effectively handle the playback duties, and send it along to your AV receiver/system. Generally speaking, the all-in-one HT systems (like what you have now) aren't so adept at playing back a huge variety of file types. YMMV.

If you have questions feel free to ask- for clarifications too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.