Phones forum

General discussion

Looking for a dual sim cell in the US

by txmontiac / March 27, 2008 11:09 PM PDT

I'm looking for a cell phone with the capability of having 2 sim cards (One buisness line and one personal, on different accounts but the same provider -AT&T in Houston, TX)which are active at the same time - meaning I can recieve calls from either line at any time, without having to switch between them to make one 'active'. Does such a phone exist? I have seen many dual sim phones on the internet - mostly iPhone clones - but they seem to only have one sim active at a time. I'm trying to eliminate the need to carry 2 phones all the time. Also, most of the phones I'm seeing are only dual or tri-band, and I know that the phone I currently have is a Quad band. Does this affect the performance in the US or just if I travel to other countries? Any info/insight would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a dual sim cell in the US
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a dual sim cell in the US
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looking for a dual sim cell in the US
by kalbo08 / March 27, 2008 11:22 PM PDT

CHeck out the Samsung D880, there are not in stores yet. but you can try to get one on ebay thats unlock.

Collapse -
Dual SIM
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 28, 2008 10:41 AM PDT

Can't be used on At&t unless the phone has 2 IMEI numbers as well. The billing system would prevent a customer from using 2 mobile #'s with the same IMEI. At&t does not allow two mobiles on the same device.

Collapse -
Samsung SGH-D880-Dual Sim Card-how to have both lines open
by phonechallenged / August 26, 2008 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Dual SIM

How can you have both lines open at once, so you can toggle between the 2 SIM cards to either make or receive calls without having to reboot (and choose one or the other) all the time? The phone was bought in Africa, I'm trying to use it with AT&T in the US. I have my usual AT&T account, and another SIM with prepaid minutes. All advice welcome! Thanks.

Collapse -
There are many dual sim phone available
by raharvey1964 / March 28, 2008 3:30 PM PDT

I purchased a dual sim, quad-band, FM, TV, PDA phone about 2 months ago. I also use AT&T for cellular service (in Indiana). Before buying I called AT&T tech support asking what frequency was used in the US, in my area and about traveling stateside & abroad. In the US AT&T operates on 850 & 1900 MHz. You can use a tri-band phone which would support the 1900 MHz or a quad-band with the 850 & 1900 MHz with AT&T as your service provider. Thus the quad-band phone will work anywhere & with most carriers in the US (AT&T, Cingular, Bell Mobility, Cellular One, Fido, Rogers, AT&T, SunCom, T-Mobile, TracFone). I have used the phone with mine & my husbands sim cards inserted at the same time & was able to use both cards & switch calls between both lines. There are many of these phones out there now. I took about 3 months pricing, comparing & evaluating before I finally purchased mine. On ebay you can find a number of these phones available now... but definitely DO YOUR RESEARCH! I ended up going with a company that has an office in Florida and offers a 2 YEAR WARRANTY ON THE PHONE!!! Almost unheard of. I know they honor the warranty because I had ordered an extra charger & for some reason it got to the point where it wouldn't charge the spare battery that came with my phone. I purchased the phone from ebay seller go2gold and their ebay store address is: The model of phone I have that I can attest to working on AT&T with both sim cards is the 666B QUAD DUAL SIM Touch Screen PDA TV FM PHONE. The FM picks up loud & clear with station presets, the TV works fantastic and it has a ton of other features including a touch screen & the ability to handwrite on the screen. I paid $170 & about $17 to ship it.

Features of the phone are listed below:

Integrated 2.0 Mega pixel Camera with digital video & voice recording
Mobile TV
AV Output
Video & Music MP3, MP4
Long Standby Time 33 Days
Bluetooth 2.0 (Support Any Bluetooth, including A2DP)
WAP Browser (GPRS) Internet
Touch Screen
SMS MMS message
PC Camera
FM Radio
Expandable Memory (1GB Micro SD card included)
Support up to 2 SIM cards
Support Bluetooth Handsfree
3D Dual stereo speakers
5 speakers 3-D Sound
Sound Recorder
Book Browser
Image Editor
+ Many Many MORE

This ebay seller has numerous dual sim, tri & quad-band phones available. On an ebay or any internet search you can find thousands of others. I'm happy with the purchase I made & with the fact that it has a 2 year warranty.

Good luck in your search & call AT&T to ask questions if you have them. I didn't let on that I was getting a phone made in hong kong because they want to sell THEIR phones. I asked the questions about what frequencies their service operated on & etc to make sure the phone would work. Obviously, they don't endorse nor can they advise you on the purchase of equipment they don't offer - and they would try to discourage you from doing so. I can tell you this... my husband has a friend who manages the AT&T store here in town & he took it in to show him after we got it. The guy freaked out cuz he thought the phone was so cool. Needless to say, he had us purchase one for him (I wouldn't tell him where I got it & he paid us a little bit above the selling price as a "finders fee" to get the phone).

After reading this post over it almost sounded like an advertisement for go2gold LOL it isn't. I personally do not know who they are. I've simply purchased 2 phones from them (one for me & one for our friend)& swapped out the faulty charger. I'm just one very happy customer & happened across your post as I was reviewing possible phones for my teenage & thought I could help you out a bit. Happy

Good luck & have a great day...

Collapse -
Tel me more!
by txmontiac / March 29, 2008 3:59 AM PDT

This phone sounds perfect! One question - are both sim cards online at the same time? I need to be able to recieve calls from either line all the time, instead of checking each line periodically for voice mails.

Collapse -
Dual Sim cards
by raharvey1964 / March 29, 2008 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Tel me more!

You can switch between the different phone numbers like you would on one line with call waiting. Obviously, you can't talk to both lines at the same time but you can talk to one & then the other.

Collapse -
by txmontiac / March 29, 2008 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Dual Sim cards

What I'm trying to be sure of is if the phone is just sitting on my desk, on, and someone tries to call me, on either number, will it ring, or is only one line active at a time? I'm not worried about switching between sims while talking on the phone, I just want the phone to ring regardles of which sim is called. I want to be available at all times to either number, without having to carry two separate phones.

Collapse -
by djcmaz / April 1, 2008 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification
Collapse -
Ability to reach a Dual Sim phone
by raharvey1964 / April 1, 2008 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

Yes, if someone calls EITHER line you will receive the call. If you're ON ONE LINE you get a beep like call waiting to notify you that someone is calling the OTHER LINE. You cannot talk on BOTH lines at the same time, but you can receive calls on EITHER line at any time as long as BOTH SIM CARDS are installed on the phone. There is a space for a primary & secondary sim card inside the phone. As long as they are active & installed you will receive all calls to either line.

Collapse -
Phone Information
by cthunder1210 / April 11, 2008 1:27 AM PDT

This phone seems great! Can anyone provide manafacturer information, or maybe a website to view general information about the company that makes these phones?

Collapse -
by onurtaner / April 15, 2008 2:11 AM PDT

Robin, thank you so much for all the info you have provided. Did the phone come with any detailed specifications or do you happen to have a website for the manufacturer by any chance? Also, how does the internet work? Is the operating system windows based? Can you view pdf, excel files along with watching various types of videos or do they need to be in a certain format? Is there a software that would allow you to create a back up of your contact list?

Collapse -
go2gold phones! I'm interested..............................
by simplydannygirl / June 26, 2008 6:18 AM PDT

So go2gold is located in Miami. Can you tell their address and phone number? I heard they were good too.

Collapse -
This might help.
by PudgyOne / August 26, 2008 11:08 AM PDT

Use the phone of your choice.

On the phone you're not using, go to settings, call forward, voice calls.

If unavailable

To: 1(area code)XXX-XXXX (1-XXX-XXX-XXXX)

click done. Turn the phone off.

Now all your calls go to one phone.

To have your calls go back to your voicemail, then turn the phone back on and then cancel all.

I do this with my wife's phone often, especially if we're expecting a call. After the 30 seconds of her phone ringing, then the call is forwarded to my phone. If her phone is off, then the call comes to my phone immediately.

Collapse -
Single device vs multiple (mostly preference)
by Pepe7 / August 27, 2008 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: This might help.

I suppose the bottom line is whether or not the OP prefers a single device that is not supported by the carrier, or two separate phones which would be. As much as I'd prefer having devices which were supporte, not having to forward calls would be a nice touch.

Collapse -
dual sim phones
by _-ak-_ / September 12, 2008 1:19 PM PDT

i personally have 2 phones , both from linkage-electronics. com , havent had a single problem , and ive had them for a while. The phones i have make use of both sim cards at the same time ,all kind of neat tricks, you can conference the calls stuff like that , both sim cards work at the same time in coherance

Collapse -
Call forwarding a bad idea
by mechs1 / September 15, 2008 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: This might help.

The whole purpose for dual sim is to avoid being charged double minutes through call forwarding.

Collapse -
Tons of it from China
by future2999 / May 22, 2009 1:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
buyer beware
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 22, 2009 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Tons of it from China

Many cheap phones from China may lack the appropriate frequencies. To be safe, make sure any phone purchased overseas has 800(or 850) and 1900 mhz frequencies to operate optimally in the US.

Collapse -
im using second voice on my blakberry
by jamluke2 / July 29, 2009 10:20 AM PDT

im using a 2 lines on one cell phone service by second voice, which is working out great for me...i literally use two lines on my cell phone without having to change the SIM each time...another cool thing is that this second voice lets u attach unique number tags to each of your contacts segmenting them into business or personal so its literally a no brainer when the number flashes with the unique number tag...this way i can avoid the lesser important calls and take only the uber important ones when caught up at work...try it out...second voice is offering free trail of this service on their website (secondvoice dot com)

Collapse -
Dual SIM Mobile Phones with Wi-Fi, TV, Email, etc...
by thebigbdg / August 16, 2009 10:39 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.