Phones forum

General discussion

Looking for a bullet-proof phone!

by mojodad / July 29, 2007 6:03 AM PDT

I am hard on equipment. I have replaced my motorola RAZR 3 times in the last year for various problems. I need a construction worker friendly phone. I don't need a camera, MP3 player, games or anything like that. I need a phone that I can place and answer calls in the rain, hail, sleet or snow. I would also be helpful if I could drop it several stories and still use it. Can anyone help me?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a bullet-proof phone!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a bullet-proof phone!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry...
by mojodad / July 29, 2007 6:07 AM PDT

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that I am on cingular/at&t...if it matters.

Collapse -
Sturdiest cingular phones...
by PathmarkPolice / July 29, 2007 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry...

I don't know the entire list of phones cingular offers, but the motoroa v365 is a tough phone, and the Sony Ericsson w300i. They're not exatcly bulletproof, but these two are all right. The v365 is definitely the sturdiest phone Cingular offers.

Collapse -
Sony Ericsson is amazing!!!
by KevinChung / August 7, 2007 2:16 PM PDT

My friend got pranked by a bunch of losers. The jerks dropped my friend's Sony from the sixth floor. The only problem after that drop was that the joystick was a little loose. So a Sony Ericsson would definitly be a good choice.

Collapse -
brother i hear you
by camlock / July 30, 2007 5:37 AM PDT

im in the construction business also been through 2 razrs & a nokia in the last year. razors not a good idea. neither is the nokia 6102i it only lasted a month. let me know if you here of a well built phone also a att / cingular customer. almost ready to go to nextel

Collapse -
Not a phone but something to consider
by macrat / July 30, 2007 11:45 AM PDT

you might want to consider replacement coverage on your phone if you get an expensive one. i have it, and have used it once in two years. my phone broke. i walked in to a Sprint store and waited while the tech guys checked it out. i left with another phone - same make/model - probably refurbished - but it's fine. some carriers charge a deductible, too, for the coverage.

maybe my experience was the exception to the rule. yeah, i'd DEFINITELY have to say mine was the exception rather than the rule, since historically my contact with cell phone carrier support services has been more like combat.

the reason i thought you might want to at least look into replacement coverage is because of this, from an article at msnbc:

"...Shames says insurance might make sense for some people ? those who are prone to drop their phone, get it wet or somehow disable it. "It might be useful if you happen to work on building skyscrapers and you tend to drop your phone 30 or 40 stories," he says."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16637188/

http://tinyurl.com/29tkse

Some phones with AT&T aren't eligible for coverage. Here's a piece of that from the wireless.att.com website:
Wireless Phone Insurance is not available on all devices or on prepaid rate
plans (GoPhone

Collapse -
Verizon Has Good Ones
by Caleb328 / July 31, 2007 2:53 AM PDT

If your willing to switch Verizon has two phones called the G-zones. They are military specified and can used underwater. Of course Nextel is known wide in that industry but there coverage isn't good.

Collapse -
Nokia 6300
by Zill / August 1, 2007 4:22 PM PDT

I have a Nokia 6300 phone. Can anyone please help me how do I activate the 'in-call timer' in the phone so that I can see how many minutes/seconds have ticked by since I have been talking?

Thank you all, in advance.

Zill.

Collapse -
bullet-proof phone
by Frisky1989 / August 3, 2007 4:19 PM PDT

I don't know if you can get your hands on one or not but, a
Motorola i305 is a pretty indestructable phone. It's generally a Nextel phone but you might be able to find one somewhere & get
cingular to activate it. iI dropped one of these off a bridge & it survived. Don't know if that tells you anything but, you might check it out.

Collapse -
bullet proof phone
by jonnyj771 / August 4, 2007 1:10 AM PDT

I have been working with Nextel for a couple of years. I currently have the i580 and i started out with the i730. Both phones have been very good to me...depending on where you live, since the merger of Sprint/Nextel, the coverage has expanded. I know there are several areas like in Nebraska that doesn't have good coverage for nextel. But if you want a good strong phone, that is the way to go. The i730 is not something you want to drop in the toilet...but if you were outside and it got rained on, you are ok. the i580 you could drop a cinderblock on from 2 stories and it would more than likely survive. the i580 is mostly rubber, and it's a designed contractors phone. I had a co-worker drop his i315 (another contractors design) into a cement mixing plant drum, pour it into a cement mixer, and got it back still working. 2 weeks later he accidentally ran it over with an endloader. it still works to this day. When it comes to AT&T, Verizon, and straight Sprint, you will not find a good contractor style (bulletproof) phone. If you want more information on this kind of stuff let me know.

Collapse -
bullet proof phone
by mojodad / August 4, 2007 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: bullet proof phone

Thanks for the information, but I live in an area that doesn't have service for Nextel. The only services available in my area are cingular and verizon. I looked at the i580 and the i730 on eBay and was wondering...if you bought an UNLOCKED phone, would it work on the cingular network? Do these Motorola phones use the same type sim card?

Collapse -
sim cards
by jonnyj771 / August 5, 2007 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: bullet proof phone

I have not seen a phone with a different style of sim card from nextel to t-mobile to att. all of the sim cards are designed the same. finding an unlocked phone to use for at&t won't be easy, however, when you do find one, they tend to be more expensive than if they wern't unlocked because of the little bit of time to do so, people that do the unlocking thing can charge what they want, typically $100 or more to unlock a phone. If you know a cellular dealer that can do it and you can find a nextel model phone and have them unlock it. you may be able to do it cheaper especially since they can just reprogram it for At&t.

Collapse -
FALSE INFORMATION!
by neocon / August 5, 2007 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: sim cards

A Nextel phone cannot be unlocked to work on AT&T and/or T-Mobile.
Very different networks.
A T-Mobile and AT&T phone can be unlocked to work on each other's networks.
Unlocking a phone does not cost $100. T-Mobile will unlock your phone for free after you have been a customer for 90 days. I am not sure about AT&T's policies, but I am sure they will also unlock phones. If not, you can get it unlocked for no more than $20 by a third party.

Please make sure you know your facts before you decide to give advise to others.

Collapse -
razrs are trash
by batman823 / August 5, 2007 10:11 PM PDT

LGs are by far the most sturdy in my experience. I've had a few and they can take quite a beating. I have teh LG VX6100 and have had no problems with it. But there's the VX8600 and VX8700 which I'm told are slim like the razr but much more sturdy. I'm sure there are equivelant models if you're not on verizon.

Collapse -
Hope it's good news to you!
by danny cena / August 7, 2007 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: razrs are trash

I have only used Nokia6300 and Nokia N91,I think Nokia have both good quality and brilliant design.But you say tou want to search for bullet-broof cell phone,I think your choice will be confined.I suggest you to browse some special cell phone site to seek for your appropriate object.Such as
http://www.mobileplanet.com
http://www.uxcell.com/cell-phones-c-980.html

Collapse -
I found one
by batman823 / August 9, 2007 2:53 AM PDT

I acknowledge the nokia as a good quality phone. But I'm a fan of LG. In my area, nokias tend to get poor reception. The LGs, however, get excellent reception and are very sturdy. Yesterday I bought LG's new VX8700, which is slim and similar in shape to the KRAZR, but made of brushed stainless steel, i.e. bulletbroof.

So far I'm happy with the new phone and we'll see if it gets that excellent reception in all the areas that the others don't.

Thanks for the recommendation though.

Collapse -
Your Query ends here.....
by sanjaynaidu / August 6, 2007 1:33 AM PDT

Hi There!!! I guess if you are looking for a rock solid phone then it would be Nokia 5500, Its a very tough phone with good features as well, Its made of a good combination of steel and hard plastic its water proof and mine fell from my bike about 4 times but it still performs great...few scratches here n there and its actually a bullet proof phone. I am using mine for the past 6 months never had any issues with the key pad or anything as a matter of fact. I suggest you go for it.

Collapse -
Interesting advice these posts
by swbowser.dsc / January 7, 2010 7:00 AM PST

2 words : MilSpec_Motorolla

Collapse -
Bullet proof phone
by bassett520 / January 12, 2010 4:23 AM PST

Try the Sonim Quest XP3 they are built for anything that comes along for anyone who is hard on their phone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.