Laptops

Question

Looking for a 14" laptop with corei7 and dedicated graphics

by CatherineG89 / March 31, 2013 4:19 AM PDT

Does anyone know of one made by one of the more reliable brands (not Dell or HP)?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a 14" laptop with corei7 and dedicated graphics
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a 14" laptop with corei7 and dedicated graphics
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
None out there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 9:50 AM PDT

A Windows PC is by definition unreliable. Why the Core i7 when you've read the following?

"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

The primary reason I encounter for dedicated graphics memory is gaming. And yes there are a few gaming 14 inch models but I'd still get the XPS or Alienware with my money.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks! I'm an architecture student
by CatherineG89 / March 31, 2013 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: None out there.

Thanks for the tips Bob, I didn't know that about the i7 and the i5.

The reason I want the combination of a smaller screen and good graphics is for my studies, not just gaming, though I do like to do that in the holidays.

I run programs like Photoshop, Autocad, Sketchup pro, Rhino, Grasshopper, etc etc, sometimes more than one at the same time. I know I could get more for my money but as a student I need to be able to take my work into university to do group projects and to make last minute changes before presentations. I have a 15.6" toshiba at the moment and it's a real pain to carry (I am quite small).

I have had friends who have had Dell medium-range laptops in the past and these have literally fallen apart. how does the XPS do? Now that they own Alienware do you worry that this will be a problem on those models too?

The main reason I'm not considering a Mac is that Autocad for Mac is pants.

Do you have any more advice?

Collapse -
I have yet to find a brand other than
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 3:01 PM PDT

There is that Panasonic Toughbook that we used to get at the office for users that wore out laptops. Today we don't tolerate abuse and get the usual Inspiron, Latitude and they last many years. The XPS is a better build but since we get 4+ years on these, I can't guess why you would get less.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.