PC Hardware forum

Resolved Question

Long start-up time when office is VERY cold

by vicrauch / January 1, 2013 11:07 PM PST

My web client's computer takes anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes to start-up when his office temperature is below 40 degrees in the morning. When his office is warm, around 70 degrees, the computer start-up time is about 2 minutes.
Is it time to replace the computer, leave some heat on in the office, or is there something that can be done to the computer so it can boot up in 2 minutes (as it does when the office is warm) from a COLD office environment?

vicrauch has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Long start-up time when office is VERY cold
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Long start-up time when office is VERY cold
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by vicrauch

Collapse -
Age? wear&tear
by Willy / January 2, 2013 1:32 AM PST

Robert posted a possible cause. If this is the cause, then you have to consider future repair even though the PC boots-up until it will eventually fail.

Otherwise, you can make it better by providing some "direct heat" to the PC. the use of an electric heater for a few mins. before booting or heat the room. You could also place the PC in a "hot box" or boxy cover with a light bulb to keep the temp. up before use during these colder months. Then remove when good weather arrives. This is used in garages and anywhere usually some outside location, etc..

This all maybe a sign of it showing its age. Due to wear&tear, the HD or components themselves just don't cut it. After-all, there are "environmental concerns" to make a minimum operating area. What maybe 40deg. to you maybe 35deg. to the PC location and/or metal areas, etc.. all explained in the specs. As usual a good cleaning is recommended as well to make sure "dust bunnies" aren't causes some issue, reducing the fans, yada, yada a strain on the PC to even boot-up. Which all could lead a PSU starting to fail, again due to wear&tear.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Little to work with but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 11:51 PM PST

One of the symptoms of BAD CAPS (see google) is hard starting when cold. The good news is the visual inspection of the suspect part has always found if it was that issue.

I'd inspect for BAD CAPS after you did your research so you know about the plague, issues and how to inspect.

Collapse -
If the PC is not defective in some way, might make sense
by VAPCMD / January 2, 2013 12:38 AM PST

to put the office thermostat on a timer. 40f is too cold for an office.

Collapse -
Client's decision: buy a new computer, + leave the heat on
by vicrauch / January 2, 2013 4:45 AM PST

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions. My client says he has lost confidence in his current hardware and wants a new computer. So I get to buy him a new one and move everything from his current computer to the new one. Just a little more spending money for my pocket. BTW, my advice was to leave the heat on.
Again, thank you for all the good suggestions and help!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.