PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Long Range Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

by rollerlee / November 10, 2007 6:47 PM PST

I just installed a 37" flat panel Sony LCD Tv in the bedroom, I have attached a computer to it for streaming TV Shows and movies from the main server in the house. I am currently using a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse and they just dont cut it for the range from the TV to the bed.

Can anyone let me know what a decent brand of wireless Kboard and Mouse, that I can use with XP and probably with Vista if I ever get around to iunstalling it, range required is about 15-18 feet (4 or 5 metres) probably a bit less, but just want to cover myself!!

Many thanks

Rollerlee

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Long Range Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Long Range Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very common question. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 10, 2007 9:00 PM PST

Wireless keyboards and mice are not designed for nor do they have the range beyond a few feet. Because 99% of users have the keyboard and mouse next to the PC, a short distance is all that's needed. It's the simple fact that the power output of the devices are extremely low power.

In other words, there ain't no such animal that I've ever seen. All I can suggest is that you find a brand you like and contact them with your question.

Collapse -
GKM541RA Long Range Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo with N
by tddavi23192 / August 24, 2008 7:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Long Range Keyboard/Mouse
by mlynch1958 / September 18, 2009 1:45 AM PDT

Contrary to what one of the posters said, there a quite a number of longe-range wireless keyboard/mouse products. I can personally vouch for the Gyration products. I've used them commercially and at home. Top notch, up to 40 ft.

Collapse -
They are out there...
by Willy / September 18, 2009 10:10 AM PDT

I've researched this for an entirely different reason, but increased range/reception was the end result. Wifi, follow RF principles and that means in terms of waves. There are products that are fine example of offered products but these are at least double the price or definelty higher priced, so be aware of that. Here is a link that mentions products and possible added solution:
http://www.byopvr.com/Sections+index-req-printpage-artid-15.html

I definably give the rule of thumb most wifi kybds and mice are 3M or 10ft. typical operation. Following "Yagi principles"(google it) to can create a Pringles can or wire mesh dish to increase range. -OR- simply have an wifi dongle that is cabled for best placement in a room for better reception. Don't settle for the simple USB dongle that is a USB bump in a port, you want a more flexible type that is cabled with its antenna for mounting. Understand also, that any obstacles will interfere though that isn't a big hassle it does cut down on reception as well as "high density" areas like apts. or office complex, these can interfere with each other though they say not, the real world has a different outcome.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Long Range Keyboard & Mouse
by datatruth / October 28, 2009 9:46 PM PDT

I run an IT shop for a major Law Firm in NYC. We have several large conferenc rooms with Multimedia. We use the Logitech MX 5000 wireless keyboard and mouse combo for all of them. The rechargeable mouse cradle is great and the distance covered by both the keyboard and mouse is essential for us (30+'). It is at the top of the keyboard range in price, but these keyboards are highly used and durable. We have had no problems in key dropping or mouse lagging. These are left on 24 x 7 x 365 and we have not replaced one yet (2 years)

For my own home, I am interested in trying the Logitech cordless media Pro--looks sleek for a kitchen countertop device. It is either this or I will look for a MX 5000

Collapse -
Long Range Wireless Keyboard
by HumanGene / January 31, 2010 4:37 AM PST

I went through three wireless keboards, none of which could deal with my 20 ft distance including a sheetrock/wood stud wall and door. The only solution that worked was the RF-222 from Wireless Computing (wireless-computing.com). They make several units, all of which quote a 100 ft range. The RF-222 includes a trackball with the keyboard and it works very well. Notable is the wireless antenna - it's a beefy box with a green LED power indicator and about six feet of USB cable for optimal positioning. Much better than the pitiful USB dongles that came with the competitors.

Another note - some wireless mouse/keyboard setups do not include an off switch with the mouse. Not sure who conceived that, but I find it completely unacceptable. Study the design of the unit before you buy it.

Collapse -
Amazon has the best wireless mice
by katlinehunt / May 9, 2014 4:45 PM PDT

Amazon has the best wireless mice. Need a discount code? Just google Azon Deal Digger - They have a gold box on the site that will spit out a percentage off of any product that you enter (just type in wireless mouse). Really neat and I use it all the time and save big.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.