Speakeasy

General discussion

LOL, Obama kicks Atlantic City Mayor Off Christie Plane

by James Denison / November 1, 2012 4:20 PM PDT
Sometimes not even party nor race affiliation can let you run with the big dogs. Wink

As the two leaders took off in Marine
One for four-hour aerial tour of the Shore, Langford was left sulking
alone in the airplane hangar where Air Force One sat empty waiting for
the President's return.

I'm loving it!

This is what I was talking about, for Romney to leave this to Obama and keep pounding on the economic theme. There's more here for Obama to damage himself with than he will gain from.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LOL, Obama kicks Atlantic City Mayor Off Christie Plane
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LOL, Obama kicks Atlantic City Mayor Off Christie Plane
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And he's right
by TONI H / November 1, 2012 9:11 PM PDT

BO went with Christie and promised FEMA funding......that's all Christie was interested in, and rightly so.....As for Romney, he couldn't promise FEMA funding so he would have just been in the way so he didn't go and wasn't invited, again rightly so. Bloomberg is the one who blew off the prez though because Bloomberg felt BO would be in the way. Now THAT'S priceless. (Of course, B had to do a little sucking up by endorsing BO right after that blow off, so all is good again lol)

Collapse -
How could Romney promise FEMA funding....
by Josh K / November 1, 2012 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: And he's right

.....with a straight face even after taking office (if he gets elected), being that he's on record saying he wants to dismantle and privatize FEMA?

And the president promised more than just FEMA funding. Christie has lavished him with praise for the way he's responded to this disaster and I bet you can't stand it.

Collapse -
I guess you haven't noticed
by TONI H / November 1, 2012 11:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
That wasn't "BO"
by Josh K / November 2, 2012 1:11 AM PDT

That was the Republicans in Congress, Toni, forcing FEMA to make spending cuts:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/10/29/fema-loses-nearly-900-million-if-sequester-cuts-hit/

Hurricane Irene and the tropical storm Lee drained the Federal Emergency Management Agency of disaster relief funds. But House Republicans wanted to boost their funding only if Congress made equivalent spending cuts elsewhere, leading to a political stalemate that FEMA headed off only by rearranging its finances to get the agency through the end of the fiscal year.

So you can stop trying to claim that "BO wants to cut FEMA" because he doesn't, and didn't.

Collapse -
It was BO
by TONI H / November 2, 2012 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: That wasn't "BO"

HE was the one who created the sequestration bill...........so ALL agreed to what HE decided was going to happen.

Collapse -
(NT) no matter who led if all agree, all are responsible
by Roger NC / November 2, 2012 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: It was BO
Collapse -
I agree with you
by TONI H / November 2, 2012 5:04 PM PDT

It was Josh who tried to pin this all on the Reps in Congress and now Romney....I was only pointing out to him that BO created the bill and ALL agreed to it.

Collapse -
There have been many contradictory claims this election turn
by grimgraphix / November 3, 2012 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: That wasn't "BO"

Claims of fiscal and budgetary victory by conservatives who forced budget cuts down the Presidents throat less than 2 years ago have now turned into claims that Obama wants to cut defense, medicare, and now FEMA.

Everyone seems to have forgot the "fabulous" performance (read failure) of the budgetary super committee that have forced broad mandatory cuts in funding because they failed to decide a more finessed conclusion to the budget showdown the conservatives forced to begin with.

Collapse -
If I was Romney
by James Denison / November 2, 2012 2:10 AM PDT

I'd contact the Mayor of Atlantic City who had to cool his heels while seething in the airport and tell him I was renting a chopper to visit the devastated area and ask if he'd like to come along. I'd tout that as showing he was the sort of person who could reach across the aisle and work together with Democrats. Make some promises of what he'd do as president to help the area next year when he's elected, etc.

That will give him as much exposure as Obama, also cause the new media to make note of the earlier slight by Obama of the Mayor, and burn in Governor Christie's craw like bad acid reflux.

Collapse -
And if I was the mayor of Atlantic City.....
by Josh K / November 2, 2012 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: If I was Romney

.....I'd tell Romney to go ahead but that he was on his own in terms of security and access to areas that are off limits to anyone other than rescue/recovery workers. The Atlantic City police and the NJ State Troopers have other things to do.

Romney is a private citizen right now. He has no official business in those areas, unlike the president.

Collapse -
The Mayor does, and he
by James Denison / November 2, 2012 5:03 AM PDT

can have along Romney if he likes. Romney supplies the ride, the Mayor supplies the invite and tour. Both of them get to gripe the appropriate ones, especially the Mayor even more than Romney.

Collapse -
(NT) Christie is focused on his job in N.J. and not the POTUS
by Steven Haninger / November 1, 2012 9:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
Clearly you've never ridden in a helicopter.
by Ziks511 / November 2, 2012 12:03 AM PDT

There are 4 seats in many models, 1 pilot, 1 President 1 Governor, 1 Secret Service Agent. Helicopter filled. And no Standees, otherwise known as Flying Debris in a crisis. Given the Sikorsky Boeing model used for Marine 1 the odds were 2 pilots, I President, I Governor 2 Secret Service Agents and lots of Communication Equipment and a Communications Officer..

Do you not have the will to use your brain, or is it that you just don't care. Oh, and the Daily Mail? I know people who won't let their budgerigars (parakeets to you Colonials) take a dump on one.

"The Daily Mail was Britain's first daily newspaper aimed at the newly literate "lower-middle class market resulting from mass education, combining a low retail price with plenty of competitions, prizes and promotional gimmicks",[4] and the first British paper to sell a million copies a day.[5]" Wikipedia

It's a Newspaper that thrives on unattributed quotes and deliberately mangled stories. To read it is like eating cold vomit.

Rob

Collapse -
And that one governor.....
by Josh K / November 2, 2012 12:10 AM PDT

.....is a rather chunky fellow too. Wink

Collapse -
They flew in a helicopter,yes...but...
by James Denison / November 2, 2012 1:14 AM PDT

they could have taken a plane instead. Seems they didn't want him in the second chopper either, LOL.

Reporters did not accompany the president or governor in their helicopter, but they flew in a second chopper along the same route. Journalists reported that they saw varying conditions from the air.

It wasn't THIS helicopter he flew in as "Marine One".

In February 2009, President Barack Obama asked Secretary of Defense Robert Gates
about placing the project on hold or canceling it because of its high
cost; over $13 billion for the planned 28 helicopters. In June 2009, the
U.S. Navy terminated the contract and said remaining funds would be spent to upgrade to the existing Presidential fleet of VH-3D and VH-60N helicopters. The VH-71 helicopters were then sold to Canada to use as spare parts for its fleet of AgustaWestland CH-149 Cormorant search and rescue helicopter.

It was either this one.
carries 4+3

or this one.
crew of 4 and 14 passengers.

Here's a picture of it over Atlantic City.

More pictures from the Whitehouse site.

Looks like they were flying the Sikorsky version of Marine One. It has 3 passenger seats. I guess whoever took the pictures got the third seat instead of the Mayor. He couldn't even get a seat on the second helicopter either.

Collapse -
"They could have taken a plane instead"
by Josh K / November 2, 2012 1:26 AM PDT

Really? And used what's left of the beach as a runway?

Collapse -
do a fly over
by James Denison / November 2, 2012 2:06 AM PDT

no real need to land. Just gets in the way.

Collapse -
(NT) Great idea! We know how well that worked for Bush, LOL
by Josh K / November 2, 2012 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: do a fly over
Collapse -
(NT) why do you eat cold vomit?
by James Denison / November 2, 2012 12:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Because that all you serve?
by JP Bill / November 2, 2012 1:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) I don't serve him
by James Denison / November 2, 2012 1:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Do to........Serve=post links
by JP Bill / November 2, 2012 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't serve him

just as eat=read

Analogies

Collapse -
You've got it
by Willy / November 2, 2012 1:13 AM PDT

I'm still not sure of the real circumstances of that helicopter ride. But, space is limited and I'm sure Marine 1 isn't any different. As for what space is available, I'm sure some details are already known. On top of that, they're not going to risk the Prez on capacity issue alone or even come near it, so someone had to remain behind. You always ask the pilot or crew chief is you can come aboard on regular helo rides. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
two helicopters
by James Denison / November 2, 2012 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: You've got it

And sometimes they use the Blackhawk which has room for 14 passengers.

Collapse -
I think...
by J. Vega / November 2, 2012 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: two helicopters

I think that Marine One is either a VH-3D which can transport 14 passengers or a VH-60N which can transport 11.

Collapse -
Check wiki facts
by Willy / November 2, 2012 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I think...

Marine 1 maybe a certain type of helo, but it also does far more than carry passengers. It's mission justifies that it also be in immediate contact if need be and also those passengers are limited to the security detail of the Prez and family or guests, etc.. AND whatever is carried to provide that. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Never been inside one...
by J. Vega / November 2, 2012 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Check wiki facts

I've never been inside one, but I'd think that if POTUS said they wanted persons A, B, and/or C along with them, POTUS would get what they wanted. I have seen it in fight several times, a flight pattern they used a lot went very near my farm. It's a nifty thing, and of quite a reasonable size.

Collapse -
Git 'r done
by Willy / November 2, 2012 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: two helicopters

That wasn't the case, plain and simple. It was quick in/out visit to assure state and local govt. the fed. govt. was on the job. To quibble on this isn't making anything happen here but stir whatever muck you want. These things happen and its already over and done with and it certainly wasn't done intently to make some political point or other. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) even you aren't that naive
by James Denison / November 2, 2012 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Git 'r done
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.