Peripherals forum

General discussion

Logitech QuickCam 9000 - please help - freezes puter in sky

by raccoongirl / November 11, 2007 2:46 PM PST

I have a Gateway 2.13 ghz computer, windows vista, and a new logitech quickcam 9000 webcam.

Please help!

This is my 4th webcam (others were cheaper and no good). I have spent all week trying to get this to work in any im.

I've tried 4. I like Skype best due to video and audio, but within a few seconds of starting video call, the video of myself freezes. And then the only way to restart my computer is by unplugging it.

Sightspeed - no sound, despite doing everything they say.

Yahoo - the logitech mic won't show up as an option

AOL - horrible image and sound

Does anyone know of a good im that will work with the 9000? Is there a way around the freezing issue with skype?

I'm actually thinking of returning the webcam at this point. A week is long enough to try to get the darned thing to work. (btw, it is functional in quick cam - but won't work in any im).

So if I return it, can anyone recommend a good ($100.00 or less) webcam with good image and sound?

Please help. This webcam experience is draining me!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Logitech QuickCam 9000 - please help - freezes puter in sky
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Logitech QuickCam 9000 - please help - freezes puter in sky
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell me about your OS install and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2007 10:16 PM PST

Specifically the motherboard driver package you used. After that we'll explore video and audio drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
logitec quickcam pro freezes
by raccoongirl / November 12, 2007 12:38 AM PST

Motherboard driver package. Do you mean the version of quickcam that is installed? Right now it's v11.0. I've learned that there is a v. 11.5 that might help this problem and will be installing that today.

Is this the information you needed to help?

Thanks

Collapse -
Sorry no. That is not the right item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2007 1:59 AM PST

The motherboard driver package is the underpinning of proper operation of USB "everything".

Since you couldn't answer that question it's now more likely you need that installed.

Bob

Collapse -
"a Gateway 2.13 ghz computer" is not a model number.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2007 2:00 AM PST

So I can't offer details as to which driver to look for since I have no exact model to work with.

Collapse -
Logitech 9000 freezing computer with Skype
by jamiejette / December 3, 2007 1:59 PM PST

I have the same problem! This is my third camera (others worked with Skype but image or voice quality was poor) but freezes my computer whenever I try to use it in Skype. Did you get it to work?

Collapse -
So you have a Gateway 2.13 ghz computer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 11:48 PM PST

The issue is well known with well known Windows install issues. But many owners can't supply the needed details for us to go find the drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
Logitech 9000 freezing computer with Skype
by raccoongirl / December 4, 2007 2:35 AM PST

Yes I did get it to work and I now love this webcam. I had to install the latest version of Logitech software (believe it was 11.5), and the latest beta version of Skype (think it was 3.6). This solved the problem and everything works perfectly now. No freezing at all.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by jamiejette / December 4, 2007 3:48 AM PST

I installed the latest version of Logitech software last night and still had problems (couldn't shut my computer down). Perhaps it just needed a restart. Per your advice, I will download the latest version of Skype and hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks!

Collapse -
Logitech freezing
by raccoongirl / December 4, 2007 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Prior to installing the newer versions of the webcam and skype, I uninstalled the older versions I had on my computer. Then installed the newer versions. I'm not sure if this matters or not, but it's what worked for me.

Hope you get it working! It's really a great webcam.

Collapse -
Logitech 9000 lock-up - no matter what IM prg is used
by hseamon / May 31, 2008 4:33 AM PDT

I've been looking all over the net to try to find out why my QuickCam 9000 will lockup or lose audio.

I have XP Pro and plenty of memory and HD space. I can start videos on AIM, MS Messenger and Skype, but within 1-3 minutes, my image will freeze on whichever one I am on. I've un-installed QuickCam and removed all QuickCam files and did a new install. I even chose a different directory for it.

Same thing. 1-3 minutes and the sound might get really bad or the video will freeze. Sometimes I even get the (applicaton) experienced a problem and had to shut down. I can sometime leave that open and not choose SEND or DON'T SEND to allow me to continue. Very annoying as the picture and sound are superior when it works right. Super resolution.

Again. it doesn't matter what I am on. It will freeze or lose audio in a short time. AIM, Messenger or Skype.

HmS

Collapse -
2 cams in 2 diff computers
by TroyD75826 / July 21, 2008 6:57 AM PDT

I have had no problems with the installation of the camera in any XP machine. Installation and running with AIM and MS Messenger have been flawless too.

I have not tried skype

Collapse -
Logitech Webcam Freezing Skype
by ColbyNRal / August 17, 2011 12:58 PM PDT

I have struggled several times with this problem in the past. After upgrading to Version 5.5.0.113 of Skype, the freezing problem occurred once again using my Logitech PRO9000 webcam. After spending about 45 minutes with Logitech tech support, we made a discovery that was new to both of us. Instead of cold booting my computer after the 'freeze', I, instead, pulled the USB camera plug out. Presto! I regained the use of my computer instantly. I was then directed to try another USB port. My ASUS A8N-E motherboard has a four port array of USB 2.0. I connected a powered USB hub to one of the four ports and then the camera to the hub. The camera came back to life and has worked fine since. The issue, while not 100% understood, has been worked around. Conclusion? If you experience a webcam freeze with Skype, unplug the camera instead of rebooting the computer. See if that gives back control of your computer. Next, try using another USB port or add a powered hub, connect the camera to the hub and see if that clears up the problem.

Collapse -
Logitech quickcam 9000 hang, lock up and freezes you system

I had this problem for the past few days and as you might now have experienced there was no solution to it until now. Actually I thought about it in my sleep and stranger didn't forget it.

Anyway I was able to get around this issue was to run the program in a compatibility more. Obviously Logitech did not think it's important enough to make their software compatible with Windows 7 64 bit.

For those of you who may not know hot to do it, Right click on the Logitech program and choose properties. Click the "Compatibility" tab and choose your compatibility more. I chose Vista (SP 2). You may don't need to but I also run the program in the Administrative mode.

I have not had any problems since changing the compatibility mode any more and hope you experience the same.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.