Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

PC Hardware

General discussion

Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse can't move

by moss8299 / November 25, 2005 11:59 AM PST

good day, i'm a newbie here with a problem.

i have a computer with a logitech cordless optical mouse (USB to PS/2 connector was used ). recently it just stopped working while i was surfing. thinking that the battery was flat, i had replaced the batteries with fresh ones. however, it still did not solve my problem.

then i disconnected it from my pc and plugged my old mouse to the ps/2 port. nothing happened either. the cursor still froze at the center of the screen.

after that, i connected the logitech cordless optical mouse into one of my USB ports. voila! my windows has deteced a new hardware and instructed me to click the buttons on the transceiver and the mouse to establish a connection. however, the cursor still refuse to budge!

as of now, the mouse's sotware pop-ups whenever i press the button on the transceiver. but no movement of the cursor was detected.

a check at device manager reveals that i have a logitech HID compliant cordless mouse connected but no sign of my old PS/2 mouse which is still plugged in.

i would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice to solve my problem, my system is as follows:

Windows XP (service pack 2) running on a Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor (1GB DDR RAM) an intel mobo (not sure wat's the model) a cd burner and built-in sound and graphics.

p/s : i did not install any software prior the problem occured.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse can't move
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse can't move
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Logitech mouse Problem
by rolex2413 / November 25, 2005 3:06 PM PST

One of two things are happening. The mouse has gone bad, or one of it's driver files is corrupt. Optional:(Run your anti-virus program on the drive containing the mouse drive).

Unistall the Logitech Mouseware by using the Add or Remove Programs in the Control panel. Plug in your mouse via the PS2 and reboot. When back up, windows should use the default PS2 driver. If it works, or if not, go ahead and re-install you mouse, but do not install all the other junk Logitech wants you to install.

You may even consider downloading the updated driver from Logitech for the new install.

Collapse -
Same here :o(
by dscheff / January 7, 2006 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: Logitech mouse Problem

I have a similar problem. It started after I ran an nVidia update... Even after rolling back the update my mouse is still not working. Device manager claims the correct driver is installed and working, yet the cursor sits in the center of the screen mocking me.

I tried uninstalling the Logitech drivers, connecting a plain old PS2 mouse, and eventually two other Logitech USB mice. Still the same: the right-click context menu pops up however, and if I roll the wheel in a browser window the pages scroll.
I just found a Microsoft (USB) mouse connected and it still does the same thing. Any ideas? My system is an Athlon 64, 1.5Gb RAM, Windows XP Pro, Apollo nVidia-128Mb Video, oh, and various Logitech and Microsoft meeces... ;o) I tried all the mice on two seperate systems and they work just fine.

Collapse -
Possible Solution to your problem
by HotRoderX / January 7, 2006 1:44 PM PST
In reply to: Same here :o(

I would try going in to Device Manger and uninstalling the mouse from windows it should be under Mice and other pointer devices right click on the device and click uninstall. That should completely remove the mice drivers from windows reboot and it should try to re find the mouse for you. If that does not work check other devices in the device manger and make sure that it not listed in there if it is do the same thing right click uninstall. If all else fails and your stuck you might want to try reloading windows yes your going to lose everything on the computer but if it is a issues with the software on the computer a reformat will fix it. If that does not work there a really good chance that the PS2 Port on the back of the computer is fried at which point there nothing you can really do. Except use USB.

Collapse -
Done all that...
by dscheff / January 8, 2006 4:35 AM PST

I forgot to mention that I tried a collection of PS2 and USB mouses. I took your approach and removed every instance of mouse driver from the machine. I also decided to remove the nVidia drivers too: I have not only mouse, but a moving cursor too :o)

The nVidia update I applied was the latest ForceWare Release 80 Version: 81.98. I have not experienced this before with any of the older nvidia updates. Fortunately I had an older version, 6.6.9.3, stashed away and reinstalled that. It's working!
I looked on nVidia's site to see if there were any leads to incompatibilities with Logitech MX 1000 devices. Couldn't find anything specific. My card manufacturer, Apollo, appears to have gone behind the moon.
Anyway. Thanks for your reply and steering in the right direction!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) APOLLO is a owned bye HP
by HotRoderX / January 8, 2006 4:56 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.