Computer Help forum

General discussion

Locked Out Dell Inspiron 1525 - Lock 9

by Jon Lloyd0 / March 25, 2008 3:22 AM PDT

My Dell Inspiron 1525 (Vista) will not startup.
A lock symbol with the number 9 is lit up next to the power button.

A person I know was trying to hack into my Dell Inspiron 1525 last night. I am assuming the computer locked itself to prevent it from being hacked.

Does anyone know haw I can get back in?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Locked Out Dell Inspiron 1525 - Lock 9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Locked Out Dell Inspiron 1525 - Lock 9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, it is easily done ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 25, 2008 4:46 AM PDT

by contacting Dell who will determine through their records whether the computer is yours or someone elses and they will unlock it if everything matches up.

Other than that you will be spinning your wheels and not getting any traction.

Collapse -
Have the same problem
by vbense / March 28, 2008 7:43 PM PDT

Hello:

I have exactly the same problem, allthough I am not aware of any hacking attempt... Manuals say nothing about this feature, if it is a security feature that locks the motherboard?! no bios, nothing?

Did you get to resolve this?

Collapse -
By "exactly the same" do you really mean ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 29, 2008 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Have the same problem
My Dell Inspiron 1525 (Vista) will not startup.
A lock symbol with the number 9 is lit up next to the power button.
?

If so, the advice is the same - CONTACT DELL SUPPORT

If all you mean is that lights above the F7 key shows a lock with the numeral 9 and you don't like it showing you will have to turn off the numeric keypad because the lock with numeral 9 turns on when the numeric keypad is enabled. (lock with A means Caps lock in enabled and the remaining one means scroll lock is enabled). this is mentioned on page 24 of your User Manual and again on page 39 where using the Keypad is mentioned.
Collapse -
this is to confirmlem and your problem and explain why
by roberto0987 / December 20, 2008 9:05 AM PST

to all of you who have the same problem this is a security measure installed into the laptops to kill them when they are stolen if you were the proper owner you wouldnt have this problem. i am certain your all leaving out the one simple fact which is when it locks up its when you logged on the internet and at that time the chip inside was activated which the original owner can have activated by contacting dell or on there own and it tells you the unit is stolen and where to take it keep in mind your the idiot with the stolen computer and you being the idiot you are you logged on to the web which activated the chip which is basicly the pc reporting back to its owner that its in the wrong hands ... now if you were not stupid you would know what trouble your in each computer has an individual ip address which tells where you are and who you are its just a matter of time before your caught

Collapse -
Power Spikes
by harleyman57 / October 15, 2009 10:39 AM PDT

A power spike could cause the lock out. Be careful when you use terms like idiot or stupid because you never know when it can come back and bite you, especially when you expose yourself on these forums.

Collapse -
Disk Crash
by Jon Lloyd0 / March 30, 2008 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Have the same problem

Calling Dell is the only thing to do.

In my case the Hard Drive crashed.
They sent me a new one quickly.
It was manufactured by a different company than the original but was supposed to be compatible.
The trouble is the last stage of assembly was done poorly.
The casing was not lined up properly making the replacement hard drive too tall and too wide to fit, even after loosening additional screws.
I am supposed to receive a call from a technitian in a couple of days, once he receives the original manufacturer's part.
(I don't need their tech, and this will delay things further, but this seems to be policy when the user's first attempt fails.)

Bottom line:
If they do send you a new hard drive, inspect it before calling back for instructions. Make sure the divits on both sides line up with and are fit securly in place. If not these will stick out, and you will never get it to fit.
Do NOT force it, even if their support people tell you to.

Jonathan

Collapse -
Solved it, now broken again
by vbense / March 31, 2008 8:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Disk Crash

I did not get in touch with Dell yet. It started booting again after I took out the battery out and turned it on with the mains power plugged in..... Before I replaced the harddrive with another one and tested the original one and it was working as normal, so in my case it was not a HD crash. HOWEVER..... a couple of days later now it is doing the same thing: not booting just the lock 9 symbol and pretty much dead. Doing the trick with the battery does not seem to solve it. In short: I will send this laptop back to Dell and ask for a refund. I simply do not have the time to deal with this. It is probably ill manufactured and I am sure I will have problems with it again, even if they fix it (temporarily).

Collapse -
Locked Out by Dell
by poohspond / August 20, 2009 5:05 AM PDT

My Dell Inspiron was having problems so I set it back to an earlier back-up. When I tried to logon the next day It was locked - no number - just LOCKED! Any ideas???

Collapse -
And You Tried The Steps At...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 20, 2009 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Locked Out by Dell
Collapse -
Dell Inspiron 1525 Lock forever NOT LUCK buying it
by rayuvac / September 22, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

I have the same problem after I did not renew my technical support I got this problem until now. last week it works a little while now I am locked again.

So Its DELL manufacturing technique I guess DELL purposedly introduce this lock to the hardware.

How can I fix it? Maybe I have to call DELL and spend money like buying a new LAPTOP again?

Collapse -
Lock symbol and a 9 inside is lit
by jcurry0 / November 3, 2010 11:40 AM PDT

If you are simply trying to get rid of the lighting of the lock with 9 inside (usually shows up on top of function keys) try the following:

Hold down "Fn" key and press one of the function keys that shows same exact thing that you are trying to turn on or off

Collapse -
pressing fn and a function key will do nothing
by muldurfox / August 20, 2011 12:52 AM PDT

The user has stated that the system is locked up. The same case as I have. You cannot press any keys.
The lock 9 also means that the system is not completing the boot process and in this case it is because of Dell's built in security. Call Dell.

Collapse -
Answer
by Angelbear0712 / February 4, 2012 4:54 AM PST

I figured out the problem. Lock symbol with 9 in middle is saying that your num lk is on. Simply look for a key that says Num Lk. It's on the upper right on keyboard. Then press the button. Worked for me Happy

Collapse -
this is the exact answer thanks
by jmu1111 / March 30, 2012 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Answer

this is the exact answer thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Collapse -
calling dell lol wasting money
by lloutle / March 18, 2013 4:24 AM PDT

No dont do it...there is a code to get your computer back running. For the A LOCK KEY, first, hold the caplock down then press the power key making sure your still holding the capslock key. Calling dell will only get u a fee, notice how it only happens after the warrenty has expired. Theyre going to tell you it is the mother board or something. After you get t running clean the mother board and check the hard drive. And whoever tried to say its an security issue is dumb cause I brought my computer from dell. Dell rep

Collapse -
You Responded To A FIVE Year Old Post...?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 11:11 AM PDT

That particular user hasn't been here since 2008.. There have been a number of suggestions in this thread which worked for others and it's time to close this one..

Locking the thread.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.