Computer Help forum

General discussion

Location Is Not Available

by crissi0884 / July 20, 2009 4:40 PM PDT

I have a HP Vista Home Premium 64-bit operating system and when I started my computer the other day this came up:

It wouldn't let me open anything, so I kept restarting my computer until my computer came up, but something is wrong. Does anybody know what is going on???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Location Is Not Available
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Location Is Not Available
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's Vista.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2009 9:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
I tried to go back to factory condition....
by crissi0884 / July 21, 2009 2:35 PM PDT
In reply to: That's Vista.

I tried to go to factory condition...haven't put a registry cleaner back on my computer yet; and I haven't deleted any files or folders.

I had to put kaspersky virus protector on my computer because my trend micro expired, could kaspersky have done something?? Should I put it back to factory condition again, and put Trend Micro back on???

After I put it back to factory condition the fist thing i did was put kaspersky on my computer and then I did the updates for that, and then I did the automatic updates...

So I don't know what's wrong with I said...when I started my computer it went to my logon screen I put my password in and then it started windows, but it didn't look like was weird looking....and then the screen popped up saying....

"Location Is Not Available
Destop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location."

So I don't know how to fix it so my screen is Normal Vista....I'm so confused....HELP! I'm scared to even shut my computer down at night...

Collapse -
Let's say
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 9:37 PM PDT

You did a restore to the factory image and it fails. You now have a warranty issue.

Collapse -
I did a System Recovery...
by crissi0884 / July 21, 2009 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's say

I used the system recovery(started my computer and when the blue screen came up started pushing F11) to put it back to factory condition, put the kaspersky on updated it, then i used automatic update...was on my computer the rest of the was fine...the next morning i started it and the "Location Is Not Available" came up...and just restarted it twice and my normal screen came up with no problem and i haven't turned it off because i've been too

Collapse -
Then we have a "don't do that."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 12:08 AM PDT

You found a way to break it. Now use something else if Kapersky seems to cause this.

Ever heard this line?

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

Collapse -
ok; thanks....
by crissi0884 / July 22, 2009 12:21 AM PDT

I bought the new Trend Micro to put back on my computer...It's funny usually when I call Best Buy they try to help as much as possible...but this time the guy that answered just wanted me to bring my computer in...THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

Have another quick question...

The best way to change from Kaspersky to Trend Micro...Take out my internet adapter and then uninstall Kaspersky and Download Trend Micro then put my adapter back in and download the updates or is there a better way to do it??

Collapse -
For me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: ok; thanks....

While I never bother with removing an internet adapter I tend to always uninstall old, install new in that order.

Collapse -
Wouldn't my computer be open to virus in the in between...
by crissi0884 / July 22, 2009 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: For me.

If my computer is still hooked up to the internet when I uninstall kaspersky then wouldn't my computer be open to viruses until i get the trend micro installed??

Thank you again for letting me pick your brain...

Collapse -
No virus known does that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 1:10 AM PDT

Maybe the old worms did but you have the right idea so do that. Here I don't bother since I have a router and the worms can jump over that.

Collapse -
by crissi0884 / July 22, 2009 1:17 AM PDT

So the router would protect my computer??? I have a router...didn't think of that...

Another question...just let me know if I'm asking too many

My mom got a Gateway last christmas...well her hard drive crashed and it was after the 30 days and so they wouldn't just give her a new computer, they did replace the hard drive, but now she's fighting Gateway to get her recovery disks...she ordered them and they didn't come and so she called back and they say there was no record that she even ordered them...her card wasn't charged, but I was wondering if you had any idea how to get them off their butts or is she just s*rewed?

Collapse -
That story is usually one about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh....

I hear that story a lot. Today's machines have us make our own recovery disks. If we don't we risk having to deal with it.

Let me share what I did with the last machine that came into the house.

1. Cloned the machine's hard disk so we had an exact copy of the drive as delivered to us. Cost? 49 bucks.
2. Booted the machine and answered the usual questions then made the recovery media.
3. Labeled the media as it was made and then made a backup copy of said media.

Total cost? 55 bucks. Given the low costs of making just the media (5 bucks) I have no answer why people procrastinate.

Collapse -
Well It was Vista so she was reading the book....
by crissi0884 / July 22, 2009 1:56 AM PDT

She was reading the book and she hadn't gotton that far

How do you "Clone the machine's hard disk? I haven't heard of that....

And when you make a recovery disc does it copy all the automatic updates from microsoft and the programs that you've put on the computer??? If not how do you back up those programs and updates so you don't have to redo everything???

Collapse -
Let's start a new discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 2:00 AM PDT

To cover all this.

Collapse -
Are gonna start the new thread or do i??
by crissi0884 / July 22, 2009 2:12 AM PDT

How you wanna do that??

Collapse -
It's up to you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 2:37 AM PDT

new topic so start a new discussion.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.