Computer Help forum

General discussion

Locating a mysterious file in Windows 7

by zlzpqx / September 7, 2012 5:26 AM PDT

When I downloaded today, from CNET, Free AVG 2013, very mysteriously a file C:\users\AppData\Local\Temp\avg-83b6....(etc.) got inserted into "Recent Documents" list in my LibreOffice 3.5!! I cannot at all locate that file in my computer so that I can then get rid of it from my computer and especially from my "Recent Documents" list in LibreOffice 3.5.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Locating a mysterious file in Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Locating a mysterious file in Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really clear.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 7, 2012 5:33 AM PDT

The recent document list doesn't contain files, it's just a list of filenames.

It's easy to get rid of the file by deleting everything in that C:\users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Temp\ folder.
And why care about a file that no longer exists showing up in a list? It will fall out eventually after you opened 10 other files.

Collapse -
Thanks, Kees
by zlzpqx / September 7, 2012 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really clear.

Thanks, Kees.

Before posting my previous post, I had somehow not been able to locate the file in the C:\users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Temp\ folder. After your reply, I retried, and was indeed able to locate, and then delete it.

I was aware that the file names in the "Recent Documents" list in LibreOffice 3.5 disappear after I open 10 newer files; but it happens that I do not open too many new files in LibreOffice. So I had felt it as a needless minor nuisance that the name of a totally spurious file would keep appearing for perhaps several weeks near the top of that list! It is a great mystery to me as to how that file created by AVG after my AVG 2013 downloading had entered my Libreoffice in the first place.

It seems that even though I have now deleted the above file from my computer, the name of that file is going to keep appearing in my Libreoffice's "Recent Documents" list until I open 10 new files! As far as I know, there is no facility in Libreoffice to edit that list. But that's a minor annoyance which I can live with, if I must.

Anyway, I highly appreciate your help. You and other moderators at CNET forum ALWAYS provide prompt and superb help to perhaps thousands of people with most diverse computer problems!

Best regards.

Collapse -
An easy solution to "recently opened" lists
by rf2ooo / September 7, 2012 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Kees

An easy way to bump that file off of your "recently opened" list would be to open a file, save it as "example1", then save again as "example 2", and another one as "example3", then keep going till you get to "example10". Simply open those files one at a time and it will bump the unwanted file off the list. Grin

Collapse -
Thanks again
by zlzpqx / September 7, 2012 11:23 AM PDT

Thanks, Kees, for your easy solution!

Quite a few times in our lives, we human beings don't think of easy solutions which exist for our whatever problems, and only after somebody else tells us of them, we say to ourselves, "how come I did not think of it?"!

Though it was a trivial issue, the appearance in my Libreoffice "Recent Documents" list of the name of a spurious file which AVG had mysteriously stuck into my Libreoffice files had bugged me!

Best regards.

Collapse -
If it ever happens again ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 8, 2012 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks again
Collapse -
Thank you!
by zlzpqx / September 8, 2012 2:20 AM PDT

Thank you, Kees.

I marvel at the pool of information yourself and other moderators at CNET Forum possess.

What is further marvelous is that all of you take time to send to seekers of help relevant extra information such as the above.

Collapse -
Possible areas
by Willy / September 8, 2012 3:41 AM PDT

The next time you locate or have AVG find the file for whatever reason, note it down or "quarantine" it. If this is a malicious file, then do that so it doesn't do harm or "delete " it using AVG pgm.. Of course, you need to be 100% that's the action you want to take. Since, this is a temp. file, it maybe being tossed if you use any system cleaner even MS own as deleting temp files is common. Also, AVG maybe generating its own temp files and tosses them when done with its task as another cause.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks, Willy.
by zlzpqx / September 8, 2012 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible areas

Thanks, Willy.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.