Computer Help forum

General discussion

Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged

by TRZacharias / January 24, 2008 4:54 PM PST

My internet connection is constantly falling out for a split second.

That doesn't give any trouble for surfing the web (since that split second goes by unnoticed) but it interrupts the video downloads on youtube.com & veoh.com; not to mention I can't play Unreal Tournament 2004 online because this little 'interruption' causes the game to freeze each time.

The internet cable travels from our router to one of my USB ports on my laptop.
*The other pc's connected to that router don't seem to have the same connection problem, thus I don't think the router is at fault.
*I'm using this exact same connection for over 2 years now; It's only these last 2 weeks that I've been dealing with this problem.
*The USB port is also not at fault; nor the cable itself.
*I'm running Windows XP Home edition on the HP Pavilion Laptop.

I though that the disturbance might had something to do with the level of fragmentation of my HD. Afterall in these 2 years I hadn't defragged it once and come to think of it; the speed at witch my computer executes his tasks has dropped tremendously compared to his rate 2 years ago.
Anyway the disk fragmentation didn't solve the problem. (I used the standard windows defrag; number of fragments per file went from around 2.3 till 1.76)

I know that this 'connection issue' can be caused by a lot of things.
I'd just like to know where to start looking for causes of this problem, because right know I don't have a clue about what to do !?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB has never been that reliable. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 24, 2008 6:29 PM PST

Does the PC have a NIC/Ethernet port? There are conversions done at the USB level and they can go flaky. USE the NIC or purchase a PCMCIA NIC.

Collapse -
NIC: NO - Ethernet: YES
by TRZacharias / January 24, 2008 7:37 PM PST

My laptop does have an Ethernet port wich I use for an internet connection when I'm at my appartement. Come to think of it; I don't recall having those internet dropouts over there. (Was there 2 days ago and it worked just fine.)

So yes maybe the USB port might be at fault; but then again no other applications I connect on those USB ports (I have 2) are giving any trouble. (Applications such as my MP3 player; printer; mouse; external hard drive.) I've also switched from usb port but that doesn't prevent the internet connection from dropping out either.

I might try bying some sort of transmission device for USB-ethernet; but it would be a waste of money if it wouldn't solve the problem.

Collapse -
Players, printers, mouse. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 24, 2008 11:49 PM PST

are not the same as a steady stream of high speed data. There is communications going on all the time. USB is good for most everything except Ethernet. Switch to the Ethernet port. And, BTW, the NIC is on the other end of the Ethernet port internally.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Ethernet Cable
by TRZacharias / January 25, 2008 1:30 AM PST

Other things I've tried so far:
*Making sure the adapter (usb-exit-adapter on the ethernet cable) is well assembled.
*Re-installing the driver
*Repairing the Local Area Connection

Yeah I was still kinda confused about the Nic/ethernet thing :d

Anyway the USB cable wasn't at fault but I think there might be something wrong with the ethernet cable. The cable has undergone quite some stress over time with constant plugging in & out, probably some fysical tensions along the way as well, so it wouldn't be impossible for it to malfunction.

I'm gonna try finding another cable to test this theory. If that fixes this problem this thread is solved; if not I'll keep posting Wink

Anyway I've also taken a look into the Windows Event Logs; here are 3 events that looked like they could provide information to those who are more knowledgable than me :d

*******!Warning!********
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxxx. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

******Some Event*******
The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{certainNUMBERSandLETTERS} because a master browser was stopped.

******Some Event*******
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

Collapse -
Update
by TRZacharias / January 24, 2008 8:53 PM PST

So far I've tried the following in order to fix my problem; all of them failed but atleast now you know what won't help me Happy

*Registry Scan (by Registryfix Free Version)
*Spyware Scan (by Ad-Aware 2007 Free Version)
*Disk Cleanup (2GB+ of old compressed files :s)

*I've also tried the trick where you alter the connection settings from "AutoSense" to "10 Base T Full Duplex". That didn't help at all so I've already put the settings back to autosense.
(More info: http://ask-leo.com/why_does_my_network_connection_drop_every_so_often.html)

I'm planning to do a full system Virus Scan later on, but I don't really expect any results from it. Sure there'll be some infections here & there but probably nothing that has something to do with 'it'.
But then again... you never know!

Collapse -
In a nutshell ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 25, 2008 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: Update

as Wayne has tried to tell you, ethernet over USB is flaky and since you have an RG-45 ethernet port available on your computer just get a CAT 5 ethernet cable to run from the router to your computer and avoid the problems.

USB was never actually DESIGNED for networking but can be cobbled together to obtain a network connection. So too was a null modem cable cobbled together to allow for similar "networking" - it works to a point but it doesn't work all that well.

Collapse -
True but ...
by TRZacharias / January 25, 2008 4:03 PM PST
In reply to: In a nutshell ...

Yes but here's how the internet goes @ my home (sorry if I wasn't clear enough on that!)

..... > ROUTER > ethernet cable > Farallon Ethernet Adapter > USB cable > LAPTOP('s USB port)

Since I have an ethernet port; I skipped the unnecesary step of having an Ethernet Adapter & a USB cable.
Result: The problem still remained unsolved.
Further investigation: The original ethernet cable appeared to be damaged.

Anyway thx for the replies; The comment about the USB's flaky-ness made me recheck the cables and that's what made me discover the broken ethernet cable Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ SOLVED ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.