Desktops forum

General discussion

Loading Windows 7 on new hard drive

by drysailor / September 18, 2009 10:13 PM PDT

I have ordered the Upgrade version of Windows 7, due in October. I have also ordered a new SATA 750 GB Hard drive from Seagate. I presently use Vista Home Premium. My question is: Can I load an Upgrade version of Windows on a new hard drive? Can I load my Office XP and Expression Web2 upgrade versions on the empty hard drive? I know that Microsoft upgrade programs require conformation of ownership of a previous version. My thought is that I could keep my old hard drive installed under another letter, and when asked for proof of previous version, I could direct the Microsoft program to the old hard drive.

Is that what I would do? Do I have to fool with the BIOS with this SATA drive? What else would you suggest for a "clean" install?

Thanks... Ken

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Loading Windows 7 on new hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Loading Windows 7 on new hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd post this in our Windows 7 forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2009 12:54 AM PDT

But there is something terribly amiss here. Where is the Vista DVD that you are basing this upgrade from? That is, let's say the hard disks fail and wipe out. Are you ready?
Bob

Collapse -
I have the Upgrade disk
by drysailor / September 19, 2009 5:40 AM PDT

I have the disk, but it is an upgrade version. I remember that when I installed it on the disk containing my Window XP, it searched for the previous version (proof of ownership). If I start with a new hard drive, the program won't be there for verification.

I just ran into a case where my old Microsoft FrontPage had a problem. I uninstalled it, and tried to install from scratch. I couldn't do it because it was an update version, and I did not have the disc for the Windows 98 FrontPage.

Collapse -
I see you know the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2009 5:46 AM PDT

That's what I was afraid of. You don't have the originals so later you find that place between the rock and some other place.

Collapse -
You got it...
by drysailor / September 20, 2009 1:31 AM PDT

I am thinking that if I have a new drive C, and leave the old drive in the D position, can I point to the D drive for verification that I own a previous software edition?

Collapse -
Doesn't work here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2009 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: You got it...

How did your test work out?

Collapse -
Too soon to test
by drysailor / September 20, 2009 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Doesn't work here.

I am getting ready for the big day when my Windows 7 arrives. My new hard drive will be here tomorrow, but I will not install it until I get Windows 7 and try for a new install.

Collapse -
let me tell you sumthing
by Ross Quinnell / September 21, 2009 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Too soon to test

if you buy a upgrade version you must have the previous version of windows before it or other wise it will not work because its an upgrade
but if you have the non upgrade one your fine.

if you want to put your upgrade copy on a new drive you have to install xp and you can go strait to window's 7 but if you dont have any previous full complete OS then your best bet would be to mirror copy your old hard drive to your new one.

Collapse -
I do have the disk for Wondows Vista
by drysailor / September 21, 2009 4:11 AM PDT

Maybe I worry too much! I have the disc for Windows Vista, and the disk for Expression Web. I believe that is all I need to register those programs on a new drive. The reason for me not wanting to mirror my old drive to the new one is because of all the junk that accumulates after time. I did a mirror copy when I upgraded from Windows XP to Vista, also with a new drive. When I loaded Vista, I didn't select "clean install", so a bunch of crap was left on the new drive. Now I want to get a good start with Windows 7. I still have one more month to worry about getting it to work.

Thanks... Ken

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.