iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

loading CDs to iPod using iTunes

by volvogirl / July 1, 2013 2:06 AM PDT

I ordered an iPod Touch 32gb. Before it comes I thought I would import my CDs to my computer in iTunes. Now what format should I use? Shouldn't I convert them to mp3 files or leave it at wma? Should I convert them as I import them or after they are in iTunes? I don't need to have the best quality. I guess the iPod (and I already have an iPad2, iPad3 and also iPad mini) will play all formats?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: loading CDs to iPod using iTunes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: loading CDs to iPod using iTunes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Read this recent discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 2:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
I let iTunes do it's own thing
by volvogirl / July 1, 2013 6:21 AM PDT

It's ripping them as .m4a files. I already had some cds on my computer probably in Windows Media Player and I'm adding and converting them to iTunes Library.

Can you answer another question re:iTunes? Like for a Movie Soundtrack it places each song in a separate album since each one is a diff artist. How can I get the album listed just 1x with all the songs in it. Now it shows 8 albums with 1 song each.

Thanks again

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 8:14 AM PDT

But iTunes may do that since that's in the MP3 tags. I can't duplicate prior ideas but most have you editing these tags.

Collapse -
Go with MP3/320kbps
by Pepe7 / July 1, 2013 4:41 AM PDT

That's the executive summary Wink

Collapse -
Please don't use MP3
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Go with MP3/320kbps

use the AAC codec, it's the default and supplies good quality at a reasonable file size.

Collapse -
by volvogirl / July 2, 2013 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Please don't use MP3

As I posted above once I started ripping and importing and saw how iTunes automatically did it. It converted it to .m4a format. So I guess that's the default and what you are recommending. I only asked about mp3 because I hadn't ripped any cds for a while and that's all I knew and I knew that mp3 made the file smaller to fit more on my old Sansa MP3 player.

Collapse -
After I asked I figured it out.
by volvogirl / July 2, 2013 12:31 AM PDT

I assume you were replying to my soundtrack question. I have a Ray Charles album where each song is a duet with someone else so it put them all in separate albums. Well first I did it the hard way and edited each song to only be Ray Charles for the Artist. That seemed to work. But then I found out how to do it for all. But I haven't seen how to do it when you rip or import it originally.

For anyone else finding this post.......I used iTunes help and also googled it. You can select all the separate albums then right click and Get Info. Then on the last tab Options there is a checkbox for Part of a Compilation. Then it puts them all in one Album that says Various Artist.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.