TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LNT5271F vs. KDL52XBR4 PLEASE HELP

by gilesmcgrath / February 19, 2008 3:40 AM PST

Please help, I have just purchased (but not yet received the Samsung LNT5271F. The guy in the store (friend of the family) suggested it. I was originally looking at the Sony KDL52XBR4 but he said the Samsung was the way to go. The Sony had been his favorite 52" until the Samsung came in. He said if I would like to switch to the Sony he could do it and it would only be $17 more, but I do not know what to do. Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LNT5271F vs. KDL52XBR4 PLEASE HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LNT5271F vs. KDL52XBR4 PLEASE HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
same problem
by cottonsince85 / February 23, 2008 12:13 PM PST

I'm trying to decide on the same thing. As of right now I like the samsung a lot better. Although there are no standards to measure contrast ratio the sony claims to have a ratio of 18,000:1 and the samsung is at 25,000:1. I have heard(blogs) that sony uses better processors but have not actual seen any ratings or specs of this, so i cant say thats accurate or not. I'd go with the sammy

Collapse -
GOOD THING MY SEARCH IS OVER..........
by Riverledge / February 23, 2008 1:46 PM PST

I THINK I'D GET SO FRUSTRATED TRYING TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THESE TWO EXCELLENT LCD HDTVS, I'D PROBABLY WIND UP BUYING NOTHING.

AT $2,500 to 3,000 BUCKS I KNOW IT'S NOT A PURCHASE TO TAKE LIGHTLY.

DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK, REVIEWS ARE GREAT BUT REMEMBER, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS GOING TO WATCH THE SET DAY IN, DAY OUT! AT THESE PRICES, MAKE SURE YOU CAN WITH IT FOR 12 TO 15 YEARS.

Best shopping and wishes,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
the best advice i can give
by bean99 / February 23, 2008 7:10 PM PST

if you're down to these two sets is to go to a different store than the one you're buying at and compare each model for a long time. like an hour each. watch for motion artifact, color and lighting issues, and things that bother you.

then pick the one you like most.

Collapse -
UPDATE, JUST PRE-ORDERED THE NEW MODEL.
by gilesmcgrath / February 27, 2008 2:47 AM PST

Thank you all for your responses, and now here is a twist....
I was meant to receive the Sammy LNT5271F today. I called the store to confirm and spoke to a friend of mine. I told him a few days ago I had read that Samsung is coming out with a new model. The LN52A650T (the 6 series) in March 2008. That is only a few days away. I would be very annoyed if I got the TV and 2 weeks later there was a replacement. So I told him to cancel my order and order the new one, they have 300 comming on April 1st. The price difference is only $200, so I figure get the new TV. It will def not be worse then the 71 and it has a bunch of new features including an ethernet port for updates, weather ect. Check out this link.

http://gizmodo.com/341062/samsungs-high+end-lcds-for-2008-series-6-and-7-hdtvs-get-ethernet-amber-tint-but-no-leds-wtf

I will let you guys know what I think of the TV once it comes in.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.