Samsung forum

General discussion

LN52A750 Turning on and off by itself

by atn1116 / December 11, 2008 2:29 PM PST

I'm on my 2nd LN52A750 in 3 months. The first one would turn on and off by itself, so I finally returned it. The 2nd model is now doing the same thing. Not only does it turn on and off by itself every 10-15 seconds, but there is no picture or sound. Has anyone else had this type of issue with this model?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN52A750 Turning on and off by itself
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN52A750 Turning on and off by itself
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firmware addresses this
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 11, 2008 2:33 PM PST

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your television turning off.

We have a firmware update that addresses this. You can find that information and direction on how to update your television at the following link.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Collapse -
Firmware update issue
by con_ess / December 20, 2008 10:12 AM PST

I am having the same issue w/ the TV turning on and off by itself. How are you supposed to install the update if you can't even turn the TV on?????

Collapse -
May require tech call
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 20, 2008 10:16 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware update issue

In that case, you will probably want to call 800-SAMSUNG and have your unit serviced. I'm sorry to hear that you are also having this issue. But if it won't stay on, I would definitely suggest having an authorized technician check it out.

Collapse -
by con_ess / December 24, 2008 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: May require tech call

Would you honor an extended warranty to ensure this won't happen again? It would seem that this is a bug and I would hate to have to pay $$$ to fix an issue that is a known bug outside of my warranty. Granted I still have another year or so, but still. This is a hassle! Other than this problem, I am loving the TV, but this needs to be corrected and I feel like the consumers should be compesated by an extended warranty free of charge.

Collapse -
Not my decision....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 24, 2008 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Warranty

I don't have the authority to offer warranty extensions.

Registering your product online does get you an additional 3 months on top of the 1 year standard, so if you haven't already, at least sign up for that.

Outside of that, that's an issue that you'd have to take up with our customer care. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Collapse -
by golferboy1862 / February 2, 2009 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: Not my decision....

Well I finally made my decision to get the Samsung LN52A750 and ran into this thread this morning. Wow!!! I'm not sure what to do now. I can't imagine spending $2500 on a panel and then wondering when\if the on off cycle will start. Samsung really dropped the ball on this and more consumers should be made aware of this possible\probably issue.

Collapse -
Mainboard Replaced!
by con_ess / December 31, 2008 2:27 AM PST

So a Samsung technician came out (12/29/08) and replaced the ENTIRE MAINBOARD to my LN52A750 and then proceeded to apply the firmware update. I asked him what could have happened that would require a replacement and he didn't have an answer. I also asked if it was something that I could have done and he replied by saying DEFINITELY NOT. I hope that this doesn't happen again and that this was a fluke.

Would the firmware patch or lackof have caused this issue? Typically what is the root cause of this? How can I prevent something like this from happening in the future?

Lastly, just to confirm, what is the part number for the mainboard? I want to doublecheck to make sure the technician put in the right one (i am 99% sure he did, but wanted to be certain).

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 31, 2008 2:54 PM PST
In reply to: Mainboard Replaced!

You can check the parts on the website or contact your technician.

Collapse -
Same thing here after panel replacement - L-NT4042H
by joncole818 / February 2, 2009 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: parts....

My 40" LCD just began clicking several times when turning on after Tech replaced "the panel" last week. This morning it keeps clicking and will not turn on at all. I've swapped to a known working power outlet, but no change. I can unplug it for 10 mins, plug it in, and it just starts clicking before i use the power button.

Is any part of the power button or power supply replaced as part of "the panel"? My room mate watched the tech replace the panel and says that he replaced just about everything but the plastic outter part.

I called NISI(local Samsung repair) this morning, but they didn't have an answer on "what they're going to do about it" until the tech gets back to the office.

I'm a little upset now because i reported the problem with the picture on 12/31/08 and it took them alsmost a month to fix that.. Now, its COMPLETELY inoperable. I would think NISI would do something RIGHT AWAY about it. This is a major purchase, its only been a year and is the only TV i have.

Thanks for any input!

Collapse -
Hey SamSucks Tech Help!
by samsucksmore / November 20, 2010 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: parts....

I have a SamSucks model number LN52A650 and it just turned off one day and never turned on again. I called SamSucks and they told me it's out of warranty by a few months and that I was on my own. SamSucks also told me that my TV was not part of the capacitor problem so they would not provide service to try and fix it, basically they said HaHaHa sucker we gotcha money now and you got a 52" dinner tray. So I purchased a new Power Board for $165.00 (ouch) and guess what? Didn't fix the problem, same thing as before, the TV just makes that start up sound and I heard a click sound coming from the Power Board and the TV wont turn on. So now Im thinking about replacing my T-Con Board at a cost of around $65.00! The best thing everyone here can do is to tell everyone they know not to buy ANYTHING SamSung. I have already stopped several people and friends from buying SamSung. remember it's SamSucks for now on!

Collapse -
Firmware did not fix this issue for me
by tarzanna / April 18, 2009 1:14 AM PDT

I am yet another customer experiencing the on/off cycling problem on my Samsung LCD TV. My model is a LN46A650, which was purchased on 08/17/2008. The problem first appeared on 04/15/2009, so I am lucky enough to still be under warranty.

The first time it happened was in the morning after it had been off all night. After turning on the power, the TV cycled on and off automatically about 4-6 times before it stayed on (at which point, it stayed on without incident the rest of the day).

The next morning the same thing happened, though this time it cycled on/off about 8-10 times before staying on (again, it was fine then the rest of the day). However, at this point I realized there must be a problem with the TV, so I googled and discovered this thread.

I located and downloaded the Firmware update for my model and applied it as directed through the wiselink usb port. After applying the firmware update, I turned the TV off and then back on to see if it fixed the problem. It came back on without issue, so I assumed the problem resolved.

However, upon turning the TV on this morning - it went back into the same on/off reboot cycle and did so about 16-20 times before it would stay on. After realizing the firmware did not fix this issue and that the problem was getting worse - I called Samsung Customer Service to schedule a service call.

I am now waiting to hear back from a technician as to when they can come over to look at the TV. I was told someone should get back to me within 24 to 48 hours, so I am hoping this isn't going to take a month or longer to be resolved as other people have reported.

Because this exact problem appears to be a chronic issue for so many other people (and between varied models), I must say that my consumer confidence in Samsung is severely shaken. It seems quite apparent that a batch of their LCD TV's shipped with faulty or bad hardware. Because of this and the product price range we're talking about, there should be an automatic warranty extension in effect for all consumers having this issue with their TV. As mentioned above, I'm lucky enough to still be under warranty - but had this happened a month or two past that point, I would have been pretty upset if they refused to fix it.

Collapse -
Firmware did not fix this issue for me
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 19, 2009 6:24 PM PDT

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing these issues.

Keep me posted to how your service goes.

Collapse -
Question for Samsung_HD_Tech...
by r_handy / April 20, 2009 12:51 AM PDT

Seems that this issues has been around for a while now, but after following this thread, there seems to be some differences in opinion as to the root cause of the problem. So... what is the root cause?

FYI, I am one of the people who this has happened to, but I simply exchanged for the same model (Dec07, LN40A750).

Collapse -
Question for Samsung_HD_Tech...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 20, 2009 6:22 PM PDT

I don't have a definitive answer on that. There seem to be different fixes for the same symptom.

Collapse -
Please follow-up
by ybrik_5 / April 20, 2009 8:12 PM PDT

Mr. Samsung,

We would appreciate it if you could give us what seems to be the root cause of this ON-OFF death. This problem has been rolling and SAMSUNG would have already come up with the root-cause, they could have deduced all the problem reports they have received directly from customers, retailers, repair sub-contractors. Since the TV is mass produced, the means of production are all the same and there might really be a root cause.

Please ask Samsung, we would patiently wait for an answer.

Collapse -
Please follow-up
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 20, 2009 8:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Please follow-up

There is not necessarily a root cause, as even this thread indicates different fixes solving the issue. Each of these are handled on a case-by-case basis.

Collapse -
Issue now more severe
by tarzanna / April 20, 2009 7:19 AM PDT

Just wanted to update my original posting from two days ago. As of this morning, my Samsung LCD tv will no longer stop the on/off cycle and remains in a constant reboot loop (previously it had eventually turned on after a dozen or so on/off cycles). It won't even allow me to power it off now (unless, of course, I unplug it and leave it unplugged).

The good news, however, is that things have progressed more quickly in terms of repair than I was expecting. I called Samsung today so I could update my support ticket with the elevated severity of the situation, at which point, they gave me the name and number of our local repair shop who would be doing the service for us.

After making a call to the repair shop, they told me they received Samsung's work order and had already ordered the part for the TV. They expect to have it fixed in 5 days. What I found curious, however, was that they did all this without even having seen our TV yet. So I can only assume that the problem is now common enough that Samsung has identified the problem area and is recommending the specific replacement part in their work orders. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't see how else our repair shop could have ordered any parts without first inspecting our TV.

Anyways, I'm still disappointed that this happened to begin with - but am relieved the delay won't be as severe as I feared. I should mention, however, that our local shop said they've seen this issue with some of Samsung's LCD TVs before - though they still recommended Samsung as a good TV brand.

I'll be sure to make another update post once we get our TV back.

Collapse -
Same repair experience
by wilt&tess / April 20, 2009 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Issue now more severe

My repair shop also ordered the main circuit board and power supply without seeing my set. The shop simply went by the power-cycle description I submitted via Samsung's product support site. The technician replaced the circuit board which fixed the issue. Fortunately, my set is still under warranty because I found out from the technician that the board itself costs $1K.

Collapse -
by venison turner / July 21, 2010 7:51 AM PDT

Will the firmware fix the power cycle on my LN40A? I had it in the service center over the weekend. They say thet replaced the PS capacitors. It was okay for 24 hours. This afternoon the cycling started but stopped after a while, so I can do the update I guesss?

Shirley & Vince Turner

Collapse -
Power Cycling
by venison turner / August 17, 2010 9:44 AM PDT

Where is the USB port on my LN40A530P TV?

Collapse -
Samsung: LN52A750 Turning on and off by itself
by tle2003 / September 7, 2010 5:08 AM PDT

My TV had same issue but sometimes Tv can turn on last couple days. yesterday and download new firmware from Samsung web site and follow instruction to update firmware. After update complete TV turn off and then on . I watch Tv for about 2Hrs,then turn it off, then after 1 hour, I try turn on but go back same issue and won't turn on any more

LN52A750 Turning on and off by itself (4 times red line click cycle)

Collapse -
Did you swap for 3rd TV?
by con_ess / December 31, 2008 2:29 AM PST

Did you have your mainboard replaced by a technician or did u just swap for another TV? I am curious to see if this issue will arise again.

Collapse -
My TV fixed 12/29 also
by Stuntman Mike / December 31, 2008 2:59 AM PST

I picked up my TV from the shop yesterday and was told that they replaced the LCD panel and T-Con board. They said that the LCD panel was defective. The TV works so far and I am hoping that it continues to work.

Collapse -
On off issue...
by con_ess / December 31, 2008 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: My TV fixed 12/29 also

Did you have the special automatic on off issue as well? Why did you have to bring your tv in for repair?

Collapse -
What my problem was
by Stuntman Mike / December 31, 2008 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: On off issue...

Problem description: upon plugging in the TV the front LED blinked, the relays clicked, the melody played, and then the whole process repeated. No picture no sound. Basically, it was trying to turn on, but for whatever reason, it couldn't.

Collapse -
Same problem as others...
by vjp30 / January 3, 2009 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: What my problem was

I have the same problem. I bought in 9/2008. The TV turns on for a few second, plays the melody, then click off. Then turns on by itself again. The remote does not control anything. Unplug it for awhile, then plugging back it in. The TV just starts up on its own repeating the same cycle.

The latest Firmware update says the update fixes this type of issue, but the Samsung cust rep said that there is no way for me to update the F/W or force the update because I cannot get to the update screen.

I am waiting on a technician to call now.

But I am surprised by what they had to do to your set. Wow, they had to replace the LCD panel and a board. How long have you had the TV before this problem occured for you?

Sounds like this is a common problem but perhaps the remedy is not the same for everyone.

I have a been an avid Samsung supporter but not sure now. I have recommended Samsung to so many people but I can't say I will continue do that.

Samsung should consider extending warranties to people with problems as it seems this is a common problem. You shouldn't have to buy extended warranties for these type of defects.

Collapse -
LN52A750 Turns off and on
by ADianne / February 17, 2009 6:48 PM PST

I am having the same issue. Bought the TV on 9/5/2008. Went to the store yesterday, 2/18/09 and bought bluray to hook up to the TV. I set up the bluray and was watching a movie, I went to turn off the player and the tv just freaked out and now just keeps turning off and on. I unplugged it and when I plugged it back in the same thing happened. I called SAMSUNG and got a customer service rep who also told me of the firmware update, and I too cannot update the software b/c the TV will not stay on. I agree that Samsung should tell you about the problem BEFORE it becomes an issue. Yes updating the software would be a pain, but this is even more bothersome. I am now waiting for the repair service to call, and from reading everyone's posts, I assume I will have to have something replaced. Not happy about this. I did buy an exptended warranty. Now I am unsure if the BLueray freaked out the tv or it was bound to happen and it is just a coincidence that it happened when I hooked up the bluray. Oh jeez, I just wanted to watch Batman! What a pain.

Collapse -
same case as mine...
by ybrik_5 / February 18, 2009 6:23 AM PST

My wife was watching a blueray movie on SAMSUNG blueray player. When I came home, I saw the TV blinking red LED, no display and won't turn ON.

Collapse -
by agyhill / February 21, 2009 5:07 AM PST

Same problem with switching on and off every 20 seconds +/-, this a uk bought model only 1 day old.

Collapse -
Samsung tech fixed on off problem
by ADianne / February 21, 2009 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: LCD LE37A616A3F

so the tech came on time and in 48 hours so not bad. I'm not so happy that he had to replace the whole circut board, but he did it in 20 minutes and the tv now works as does the bluray. He also updated the firmware after he fixed the on off problem - and I got to watch batman.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.