Samsung forum

General discussion

LN52A650 - InfoLink Will Not Work as Advertised.

by rick_shea / July 5, 2008 11:26 PM PDT

InfoLink Will Not Work as Advertised.

Samsung claims it?s new InfoLink? RSS, on Series 6 and Series 7 LCD and Plasma HDTVs, provides content directly from USA TODAY when users connect their Samsung Series 6 or Series 7 LCD and Plasma HDTV to the Internet via the integrated Ethernet port. ?????IT DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT AN EXPENSIVE ADD-ON. Samsung will not provide the add-on or refund.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN52A650 - InfoLink Will Not Work as Advertised.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN52A650 - InfoLink Will Not Work as Advertised.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell me what expensive add in is this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2008 12:49 AM PDT

I found one person that was miffed over the router cost.

Collapse -
Info Link
by rick_shea / July 6, 2008 1:40 AM PDT

It's called a Linkstick. Samsung doesn't tell you it's required for the Infolink feature until you buy the TV and later find out this feature is useless unless you buy the Linkstick from Samsung. They refuse to provide it free even though they don't disclose you need it anywhere.

Collapse -
LinkStick is just if you want a wireless connection
by doogaz99 / July 6, 2008 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Info Link

The Wireless LinkStick is only needed if you are looking to access InfoLink without running an Ethernet cable to the back of the set. The LinkStick is $39 at I believe Best Buy and others - HOWEVER the LinkStick is NOT required for accessing InfoLink content, just run an Ethernet cable from your modem/router that has Internet access and you should be good to go!

Collapse -
Would a traditional ad-hoc method still work?
by 8IronBob / July 6, 2008 11:42 PM PDT

Like when you have the A750 hooked into the router via Ethernet, as well as the modem, of course, and still be able to beam media in via a laptop wirelessly, or through a PSP/iPod, etc...?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2008 12:19 PM PDT

You'd have to be a networking guru. For me I bet I could but "owners" may not like having to tinker so much.

Just run the ethernet?

Collapse -
by rick_shea / July 7, 2008 5:03 PM PDT

I tried running infolink as directed from router/modem to TV via ethernet. The TV receives all the values from the router/modem, however, I get a "no gateway ping" message from the TV. I checked with AT&T and they advised the router/modem is sending the signals since the TV is reading all the other values.
I am using HDMI for my cable box to TV connection. Would that be the problem ?
I learned that I can't control the TV volume after programming the cable remote when I'm on the HDMI function.

Collapse -
Similar Link Stick problems
by abern01 / July 29, 2008 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: InfoLink

I recently received my Link Stick from Samsung. I followed the instructions EXACTLY. Even though it "sees" my network, I also can only get as far as entering my WEP password, then it says it can't connect. It says "no gateway ping". I've tried over a dozen times and it just won't work. I have 1 desktop, 3 lap tops and a Sony Play Station that access my wireless router (so I know how to do this). The Link Stick just won't work.

As far as macdaddy333's problem goes, my Scientific Atlanta DVR (Bright House Network) has the same volume problem when using HDMI. Although a HDMI connector is on the back of the box, HDMI 1.3 is not really supported, so the volume control won't work. If you switch to component cables, then it'll work.

Collapse -
Over in our network forum we discussed that WEP is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2008 1:02 AM PDT

Hackable and may be interfered with. This is not an issue that Samsung should correct.

If it supports WPA-PSK then that would cure the issue we discussed.

Collapse -
Samsung security encription
by abern01 / July 29, 2008 2:38 AM PDT

To: R. Proffitt...thank you! I changed my security encription from WEP to WPA and the Link Stick works fine now.

It does, however, stipulate in Samsung's instruction booket that it supports WEP encription. I guess they'll just call it a "typo". you mentioned, WPA-PSK is a much better encription than WEP. So now my 750, Link Stick and me are happy campers!

Collapse -
No gateway ping from link stick
by g-geiges / August 27, 2008 4:53 AM PDT

I have the same problem, no gateway ping. Samsung tells me it's my Linksys router, Linksys tells me it's the television. I'm inclined to believe Linksys, my laptop works fine with the wireless router.

Collapse -
no gateway ping
by g-geiges / August 27, 2008 11:31 AM PDT

Yes, tried WEP, WPA,and disabled security all together, still no ping detected. I can ping my gateway from my wireless laptop connection.

Collapse -
This it's dead or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2008 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: no gateway ping

It's still a networking issue. As you see, one person did get a dead one.

I do have a new trick but haven't tried it. I won't write more than this till I try it. It's called ADHOC mode. I can't tell you if it will work with this TV but it came in useful last week when we were sorting out a network.

Collapse -
PS. Good idea just below.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2008 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: This it's dead or

Some routers have firewalls and can drop ping. This was not a feature in the original routers so not everyone will suspect that.

Collapse -
my infolink works...
by acoop25 / August 27, 2008 10:04 PM PDT

Sorry to see that lots of you are having issues with the infolink. I just pretty much plugged and played with a cat5 cable. The content's pretty basis but it's ok when you're watching a game and want to peruse headlines, stock quotes, etc. between pitches. Hopefully over time, the content becomes more robust.

Collapse -
info link gives wrong information !!
by Tristan-N / February 24, 2009 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: my infolink works...

my new samsung 750 info link works with wire/cable connection to the router. The infolink works, but the weather is totally wrong ( im in toronto, and right now it's -3 degree C at night and on my tv it says 8 degree C sunny ) . Someone please tell me how to fix this (p.s. i already downloaded 1 upgrade from samsung website and upgraded it.)
I also would like to know how to connect my TV to my computer for movie/music , both wire or wireless. Thanks alot !

Collapse -
Infolink with the Samsung LN52A650
by jtcurry / February 24, 2009 9:54 PM PST

I purchased the Infolink wireless adapter from I installed it and set it up per the instructions. I must have had an intermitent problem with mine because sometimes it would not do the Gateway ping. However,if I continued to try (without changing my original settings) it would eventually do it and then it would work fine. However, once I turned off the TV and then later turned it on, it would always go back to the cable setting instead of wireless. I have since sent my adapter back to Amazon as defective and while I liked the feature, I don't know if I will buy another one.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 25, 2009 6:06 PM PST

Did you have the latest firmware installed on the television? I believe an ealier version of that firmware addresses this issue.

Keep me posted.

Collapse -
TV software
by jtcurry / February 26, 2009 6:06 AM PST

I do have the latest software for the TV. I actually downloaded the current version but when I tried to install there was a message stating I already had the latest version installed.

Collapse -
SSID Broadcast
by swampish / January 18, 2009 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: no gateway ping

This may seem like a lame suggestion regarding the wireless connection issue, but it certainly helps if, for making the initial connection anyway, your router SSID Broadcast is on. Otherwise, the TV, and other wireless devices, for that matter, may have difficulty finding the signal to effect the set up. Just a suggestion, and you probably already had that going, but just in case...

Collapse -
by matt1022 / August 27, 2008 7:28 AM PDT

You might want to look into your routers settings and locate ICMP packet drop and enable it. pings are not tcp but ICMP and if its ignored / dropped you wont get replies.

Collapse -
Link Stick "WIS-08BGX is on backorder status says Samsung
by azroamer2 / July 13, 2008 9:44 AM PDT

Since the USB ports on the 650/750 series LCD TV are compatible with flash drives, could a LINKSYS Adapter, "EtherFast 10/100" network with USB" work ok on these sets?

Collapse -
Wasn't the A750's InfoLink more advanced, tho?
by 8IronBob / July 13, 2008 11:59 PM PDT

I thought that the A750 had better InfoLink features than the A650 did, so I'm quite sure that what doesn't work in Series 6 will probably do better in A750, it just sounds like it'll do more for you. I know that WiseLink Pro can do far more than WiseLink standard for USB, but for networking features, I really can't see why the A750 couldn't have been the better choice for you.

Collapse -
650 vs 750
by azroamer2 / July 14, 2008 8:32 AM PDT

I have ordered the 750 from Amazon. The site mentions a software update that should make the 650 link the equivalent of the 750 link.
My original question was if "LinkSYS", INC, has a compatible USB to net adapter that works same as Samsungs WIS08GBX ? Would the Samsung rep pls reply?

Collapse -
A different but related heads up...
by copson5 / July 29, 2008 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: 650 vs 750

If I may be so bold, I would like to suggest that Samsung needs to get its collective act together and take responsibility for the unacceptable situation developing with regard to Wiselink.

It is bad enough that nowhere does Samsung warn customers purchasing its LN 650 and 750 series that they must buy the proprietary Samsung wireless link stick WIS-08BG2X -- at the ridiculous total cost of $48.43 with shipping and handling -- to link TV and computer network wirelessly. It is even worse that nobody at Samsung had the foresight to make sure there would be enough of these gadgets available when it announced its 2008 models with such fanfare. As everybody now knows, has a bare pantry and is not expecting a shipment of these wireless links before the end of August.

There is, however, still worse to come. Nobody at, whether customer service or technical support, seems to know what she/he is talking about when it come to Wiselink. It clearly states on the Samsung web site that LN19A650 (see its PDF brochure)has Wiselink. The web site repeats this information. Samsung is also proceeding from this information because when I told them the model number and asked what was needed to make a wireless connection with a computer network, I was told WIS-08BG2X (which replaces the older WIS-08BGX). On the basis of this information,I ordered the Samsung 19" 650 TV from Amazon yesterday morning.

When I called Samsung Customer Care yesterday afternoon to see if there was another make of wireless link that would do the job, the answer was no. In addition, I was told that the wireless link problem was moot anyway because LN19A650 does not have a USB connection. And nobody knows why the wrong information is still displayed on the Samsung website and frankly, the impression I got was that customer care was not responsible and did not care.

This is not the end of this unfortunate saga of Samsung incompetence. I then asked to speak to somebody with authority to rectify this state of affairs. I was given the floor manager who, after making enquiries, assured me that she had been told by technical support that there was a USB port at the rear of this TV and while it was labeled "service port," it performed the same functions as the 'wiselink." All that needed to be done was to insert a thumb drive or wireless link stick into this port and proceed with the Wiselink screen.

Needless to say, when I went to a Best Buy store with a knowledgeable and helpful computer staff and with this particular model sitting on its shelf, I was assured that this operation could not be performed. When I showed them the literature on the Samsung web site, they inserted a thumb drive of photographs into the service port and nothing came up on the screen. QED. When the same thumb drive was inserted in the Wiselink slot of a 40" LN 750, the wiselink screen came up immediately followed by the photos.

I believe this all reflects very poorly on Samsung. I was able to cancel my order for the WIS-08BG2X this morning but am stuck with a television that I bought solely because of the alleged wiselink feature. This false information should NOT be on the Samsung website and its staff should not be verbally perpetuating it.

Collapse -
by rick_shea / July 29, 2008 9:54 PM PDT

I am trying to access InfoLink on my LN52A650. When I do the Network Test I can't get a gateway ping from my modem. I am not trying to do this wireless. Rather, I am using a direct ethernet cable. I have checked 2Wire modem and it's fine. I ran a gateway ping test - it's pinging. Samsung claims it's AT&T. AT&T has checked evrything with me and confirms it's the TV.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Collapse -
What 2wire (make+model#)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2008 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: InfoLink

You didn't tell. But this is a TYPICAL network issue and not a flaw from Samsung. You could have this on a PC too.

Our Networking Forum may be the better place but you have to share the details or we can't tell if it should or should not work.

Collapse -
It was the TV - InfoLink Problem Solved
by rick_shea / August 1, 2008 8:37 PM PDT

It was the TV !
After a Gateway ping test showed my modem was working properly, I knew it had to be the TV. Back to Circuit City and exchanged the TV. The InfoLink on the new set works like a charm.

Collapse -
Can't find a linkstick to save my life
by donmarrow / August 5, 2008 11:56 PM PDT

Where can I buy a linkstick - HELP!!!

I've read the bizzillion problems about the linkstick but still want to buy one, if I could track one down. I agree - Samsung did not do a good job in terms of #'s of these on hand. I fortunately purchased the 750 for the same price as the 650 thanks to a sweet Circuit City sale.

I turned this TV on yesterday and the picture is sweet and I'm just pulling free OTA HDTV.

Collapse -
samsung network functionality
by matt1022 / August 27, 2008 3:04 AM PDT

I have read all these blogs and laughed my butt off! Most people in here dont have much networking sense in the first place and think that if this usb nic were inserted the magic begins.. I set up networks for a living and I know how complicated these things can be to people who arnt familure with them. But for cryin out loud all the time spent calling samsung, reading manuals, buying the frickin part, coming in here and crying. .. didn't you ever think it might be easier to just buy a stupid 50 or so foot cable and see how that works better for ya?
poke a hole in the wall and get to work! lol .. lazy bums.. or even better call your local teenager or geek sqaud to set up the wireless for ya. you spent more than 5 hours of your time typing, calling, reading and how much money do you think your time was worth? Then call a geek for 50 bucks and get it done why dont ya? dopes

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.