Samsung forum

General discussion

LN52A650 firmware question

by garp926 / September 6, 2008 11:35 PM PDT

Can you tell me if it's safe to update my firmware. The site says to not update it if you do not have the random shut off problem. I don't have the shut off problem, but I do believe that I have the stuck 120hz auto motion plus problem. That is also mentioned in the new firmware description. The firmware on my LN52A650 is 1003.m from 4/9/2008. Could I do more harm by updating it?......Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN52A650 firmware question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN52A650 firmware question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firmware updates
by windstrings / September 8, 2008 1:48 AM PDT

Since there can be glitches "during" firmware updates, they don't like you to update unless its really necessary... Sometimes fixes can fix a given problem but create others that were ok before.
But generally, things get better.

I like to have the latest before I set all my settings as a firmware update will wipe everything usually "but not always".

Barring your usb loosing connection or power etc, you should be ok.
I just bought the LN52A650A1F and mine has firmware version 2002.2 dated 5/28/08... when I go to their website, all I see is 2001.3?

Apparently I'm running a version later than has been released to the general public... "maybe I'm a beta tester?... LOL!

Collapse -
how to find version
by windstrings / September 8, 2008 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Firmware updates

I had trouble finding the version I was running as apparently my software has changed from the instructions I found online....

go to your "settings" and scroll down to software update but "don't" hit enter or scroll to the right ..... Instead merely hit the "info" button on your remote and you will see it at the bottom of your screen.
you will see "module T-AMBAUSC, then the number following.

Collapse -
firmware number for LN52A650
by garp926 / September 8, 2008 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: how to find version

Thanks Windstrings.....I checked my firmware version for my LN52A650 again. It reads "Module: T-Ambausc - 1003.M, Date:Panel: 52A 1, Micom: T-Ambausm - 1002 RFS: T-Ambausc -20080212, 2008-4-09 ".
I'd like to be able to fix the auto motion plus problem, but like I said, I don't want to mess up anything else on it by doing it.

Collapse -
No harm... but one important question....
by Mr__S / September 9, 2008 8:17 AM PDT

You will not be doing more harm than good by updating your firmware. They are designed to allow you to get more functionality out of your panel.

One important question is "Have you had television professionally calibrated?" A firmware upgrade will undo all of the calibrated settings. Otherwise, if you were able to tune it yourself, you?ll be able to re-tune it pretty easily.

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Re: Firmware update (LN52A650)
by wrwasson / December 7, 2008 8:55 AM PST

I just purchase this tv that is supposed to be one of the best TV's on the market and right out the box the TV requires a firmware update. It worked for about an hour then continuously turned on and off until I unpluged the tv. I have called Samsung's customer support and they asked me to call a local TV repair company that works for Samsung to repair the TV. It will take them 3 weeks before they will be able to repair my TV. I would like to know if there is something that I can do to fix the tv on my own. In other words, is it possible to get a tech on the phone to walk me through the repair? It seems to me that is becoming a common problem that seems rather easy to fix if I could be instructed on how to do so. If I have to wait 3 weeks to get this tv repaired. I would just rather fix it myself.

Collapse -
I would
by windstrings / September 9, 2008 8:23 AM PDT

I can only tell you what I would do.... if my firmware was that old.. I'd go for it!... Write down all of your settings first that seem to give you the best picture and hope that doesn't change too much... if it does, you can always use other peoples settings to get you back in the ballpark.

A new firmware will set all settings back to default according to Mr. Samsung.

Collapse -
LN52A650 firmware
by garp926 / September 10, 2008 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I would

I just called Samsung support to ask about the firmware but they couldn't tell me much. They didn't think an update of my firmware would do much because I said my 120hz auto motion plus wasn't really "stuck", it just doesn't seem to work at all. They said the update probably wouldn't hurt the tv but they didn't recommend it. I'm tempted to try it to see if it improves it at all.

Collapse -
Firmware update
by windstrings / September 10, 2008 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: LN52A650 firmware

You can do the demo mode to view the difference as the screen is split in half, but even then it can be hard to tell... whats the "easiest" to tell on is a moving ticker at the bottom of the screen like on one of the Wallstreet channels etc.

The Camera panning doesn't do it, it has to be something moving while the camera is at or near stationary.

I've been told that no one is broadcasting in 120 Hz yet and only a few blueray really have it.. this is confusing since I can tell a difference in certain scenes.
If you hit your "info" button on your remote you will see the resolution you are at and it does seem to always say "@60Hz".. so I don't know.

But I too called Samsung and they really avoid having you update because if you mess it up, they have to send a tech out to reflash things and it can be messy.

Most firmware updates now a days are pretty clean unless the user does something dumb like try to abort in the middle of it, or disconnect something.

Collapse -
by isilver / September 13, 2008 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: LN52A650 firmware

If it doesn't work you should get them to look at it under the terms of your warranty.

Collapse -
by windstrings / September 14, 2008 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Warranty

What do you mean it doesn't work.. did you do the demo mode and that doesn't work?

If it truely doesn't work, I would check to see what firmware you are running and see if thats a bug with it.. if so, reflash your firmware... yes, they can have someone come out to look at it if your uncomfortable.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.