Samsung forum

General discussion

LN46A650A1F - Keeps turning itself ON and OFF

by planetmarrs23 / June 10, 2009 9:27 PM PDT

Hi Forum and Samsung Tech Support

I have had a Samsung LN46A650A1F for only one month now and it has been a great TV to date, however, tonight watching a program on the local channel, the TV just turned itself off then back on again (going only to a snowy, no picture image) for just a second or two then back off again.

I have tried turning both the TV off at the wall (as the remote and manual LED button on the TV won't allow the TV to turn off from there) and by pulling the power cord from the wall a number of times but it continues to turn on and off..

I have just read on the net, that there are three (3) specific models that are well known for doing this and of course the LN46A650 is one of them. That site explains a way of downloading 'special firmware' to be input into the TV itself via a USB (which is great), but no-where are there any comments or advices on how to stop the TV turining on and off so the firmware may be uploaded to work ?

At this point:

* The TV cannot be turned ON or OFF with the remote or via the LED options on the set itself ;
* After unplugging from the wall and disconnecting all cables a number of times for extended periods of time, when plugging all back in, the problem continues ;

If anyone here is able to assist at all, would be very much appreciated.

This is the site I referred to above if that is of any help ?

and then here

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN46A650A1F - Keeps turning itself ON and OFF
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN46A650A1F - Keeps turning itself ON and OFF
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LA46A650A1F not LN46A650A1F
by planetmarrs23 / June 10, 2009 10:54 PM PDT

Correction to the Model No: It is LA46A650A1F not LN46A650A1F

Thank you for any assistance possible.

Collapse -
LA46A650A1F not LN46A650A1F
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 12, 2009 7:24 AM PDT

Based on the symptoms, I would actually recommend that you get your television serviced rather than attempting the firmware. If for some reason the power cuts while you're attempting an update, it's likely not going to restart.

That's my suggestion. Keep me posted.

Collapse -
a bit different problem
by OBG-1952 / January 7, 2011 9:30 PM PST

all of the above but directly related to hdmi connections only. satellite box or ps3 connections cause the unit to turn on and off repeatedly. any help there?

Collapse -
Same issue - Will Never Buy Samsung Again
by HighDefRookie / August 24, 2012 2:52 AM PDT

I cannot even begin to say how much this issue has upset me.

I purchased the Samsung 46" Led TV when it first came out because of the incredible reviews and picture quality.

Within 3 months the motherboard had to be changed.

No problem. The tech guy was great, the picture was back to normal and everything went on as normal.

Mind you, this is a tv that is in the bedroom of my house and I only turn it on when I go up to bed. So this unit is BARLEY used.

Bam, all of the sudden, the tv turns on and off, is struggling to power up, and then shuts back down.

Over and over, and over again.

Of course my warranty is up and I will have to pay out of pocket to fix this KNOWN ISSUE!

This is not an isolated incident. This is a well documented and known issue.

The bottom line is this; I am paying a service rep to look at this tv today and if it is more than $200.00, the TV will be smashed into a million pieces live on YouTube.

I will dedicate the destruction of this Samsung to all the frustrated and angry Samsung owners.

Collapse -
Is yours on this list?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2012 2:54 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.