Samsung forum

General discussion

LN46A650 power melody

by makanuiroad / February 19, 2009 4:56 AM PST

i have disabled the tv power melody on my LN46A650 menu screen and it is off (no melody) when turning tv power on. But when powering up the dvd/vcr v9800 (which is wired to above tv) the melody plays it's tune anyhow in spite of the tv melody having been disabled/off. i want the melody off at all times, all conditions, dead. What's the secret code?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN46A650 power melody
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN46A650 power melody
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DVD tune?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 20, 2009 3:56 PM PST
In reply to: LN46A650 power melody

Is the DVD player playing the melody through the television when it's powered up, or does this happen when it powers up via Anynet+?

Collapse -
dvd tune/melody removal
by makanuiroad / February 21, 2009 6:50 PM PST
In reply to: DVD tune?

The tune plays when tv is already on and tune plays when the tv does the automatic power up after sensing vcr is turned on.

A test with the tv out of the loop:
I pulled the 110v plug on the LN46A650 tv, so tv is not operational.
The dvd/vcr combo media sound signals are wired thru separate amp for dolby.
HDMI cable connects vcr and tv and that wire was left connected for this test.
Now the results: power up the dvd/vcr combo and got the melody. And, power down the dvd/vcr combo and got the melody again. Several tries: same tune.
Hope this helps you find the target where we can put the kill shot.

Collapse -
power tune/melody
by makanuiroad / February 23, 2009 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: DVD tune?

one more reply to your question:
this may be obvious to you but i now see from some cable swaps, etc that the melody signal associated with dvd/vcr powering is coming from the dvd/vcr box and not the tv. So, how do we open the box and which wires/traces to cut? maybe i can arrange for the melody chip to be "overheated" and die? needless to say, i need a schematic for the surgery.thx chuck

Collapse -
power tune/melody
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 23, 2009 3:07 PM PST
In reply to: power tune/melody

Well, I scoured the manual. This is the first product of ours that I've seen without the ability to turn off the melody feature.

Unfortunaetly, I can't help with opening the box and messing around inside. There may be a speaker that you might locate and wish to cut, but I wouldn't be able to assist with that.

I don't get the schematics for our products. Sorry.

Collapse -
power melody off
by makanuiroad / February 27, 2009 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: power tune/melody

hd tech
thx for trying...i am resigned to just turning the audio amp "on" only after the melody signal has been sent from dvd/vcr box to amp...a simple fix i guess. But, would have prefered a more lethal/terminal fix. thx again. ciao, chuck

Collapse -
on off melody
by Jon1417 / March 5, 2009 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: power melody off

You should be able to disable it under setup and external settings.

Collapse -
on off melody
by makanuiroad / March 12, 2009 7:31 PM PDT
In reply to: on off melody

turning melody off in the menus...i wish! yes, tv menu can control tv melody but not the power up melody from samsung dvd/vcr...this little box somehow talks to the tv control center apart from tv menu controls. thx for assist. chuck

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.